July 2022 Car of the Month: Simple_Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July 2022 Car of the Month: Simple_Smith

*** Editors Note: From the first time I saw this one, I loved it. Who doesnt love these mtech2-2tone cars. The mods are great and this car has a bright future and the owner is a crazy SOB like many of us. Congrats to Simple_Smith July 2022 Car of the Month***

Factory options:

L807A National version Japan
    S215A Power steering, rpm-sensitive
    S281A BMW LA wheel, chrome-plated/round spoke
    S300A Central locking with antitheft system
    S335 M TECHNIC SPORT Package
    S339A Shadow-Line
    S350A Thermal insulatation glass green
    S361A Vent window rear
    S401A Lift-up-and-slide-back sunroof, electric
    S410A Window lifts, electric, front
    S423A Floor mats, velour
    S481A Sports seats
    S520A Fog lights
    S530A Air conditioning
    S562A Reading light
    S704A M Sports suspension
    S708A M sports steering wheel leather
    S792 KLEINES MOTORSPORT-PAKET
    S794 " BICOLOR - PAKET "

Color:
    Delphin Grey (although I believe all the Japanese MT2 cars were 2-tone so I think this was Delphin with Lachsilber(?) kit)

Interior color:
    0269 Anthrecite

Engine modifications:
    Swapped from M20B20 to M20B25

Exhaust:
    Stock

Transmission:
    Getrag 260
    delrin shifter bushings on shift arm
    refreshed rubber for rear mount
    (originally an auto car)

Differential:
    3.73 LSD
    3rd clutch pack
    Z3M finned cover
    RevShift 80A bushing

Suspension:
    CA Tuned Coilovers
    M3 rubber CABs
    Poly filled OEM rubber subframe bushings
    Condor Speed Shop adjustable toe/camber trailing arm bushings

Wheels:
    Desmond Regamaster 16x8 et35
    15mm front, 20mm rear spacers
    Motorsport Hardware studs
    Muteki lugnuts
    225/45 Dunlop Direzza III tires

Exterior modifications:
    Added front splitter/undertray

Interior modifications:
    355mm MT2 wheel
    Custom dead pedal
    e46 vert floormats
    griptape pedals
    e60 545i shifter with ZHP knob
    Husco armrest
    Maplight mirror

Story behind the car:

Oh man where to begin.. well pre-pandemic I was looking for a 135i in sparkling graphite metallic from anywhere outside of the rust belt and came across the listing for this on FB marketplace in California. A late model MT2 Delphin Coupe with the 0269 sport interior was one or my attainable grail cars and after watching e30 prices continue to rise, I realized if I didn't jump on it now, I might not be able to again.

I flew out with a friend to look at it and came to the conclusion that its really slow and definitely needed some TLC but it was really clean and basically exactly what I wanted, a blank slate Japan spec MT2.

We opted to take the scenic drive over the mountains to get out of L.A. and ended up finding our way blocked by snow. It was to become an annoying theme of the trip. After backtracking a bit, the drive continued through Vegas, and to Grand Junction. We had checked the A/C in Cali and it had worked great, however we didn't check the heat when it was 80 degrees out.. We found out the heater core was clogged in the freezing temps of Colorado.. This was just the beginning. After making it a few hours from Grand Junction, it started to snow.. and snow.. and snow. Eventually, the highway was shut down and we were directed off the highway by a gate into Glenwood Springs where we stayed a very much unplanned extra two days waiting for the pass to be opened. Once I-70 was deemed clear, we set out and proceeded to spend 6 hours making the supposed 2 hour drive to Denver. After stopping at a carwash to clean the road grime off, the timing belt decided it was time to leave the chat and stripped the teeth off itself on the crank pulley. Starter moved the crank, crank did not move the timing belt. yay. One small part of me was glad to be rid of the boat anchor M20B20, but a much bigger part of me was upset that it wasn't taken out intact and on my terms. Luckily for us, my co-pilot's aunt lived in Denver so I had the car towed there to await a shipping truck to finish out its journey home while I booked us flights back home.

Once I got it back home I slowly (or not so slowly) began the build process and gathering parts. I knew the direction I wanted to go with the car and didn't want to overbuild it for what I wanted; my previous turbo e30 went a bit too far racecar to be completely enjoyable on the street. This build would retain A/C and full interior, but would also be getting a lot of suspension bits and subtle mods. I wanted to portray my view of a period correct Japanese tuner getting ahold of the car in the early 90's and building it for a spirited driving style; still retaining most of the factory comforts while giving a much more precise and purposeful feel. I think so far I've done fairly well in capturing that, but the build is forever ongoing so there will definitely be changes in the future to continue my vision for it.

It definitely still needs more power for what I really want and the brakes feel a bit lacking compared to what I'm used to. Hawk HPS pads on my e36 feel much more confidence inspiring than on the e30 so that will eventually be sorted out. Possibly an e32 master cylinder.. TBD I don't want it as rowdy as the turbo car, so I think a "mild" 3.0 M20 will be the end goal, but don't expect that anytime soon.

So far I've put a good amount of mountain miles on this and am happy with how its progressing. Unfortunately on my drive back from The Vintage this spring I got a tire puncture and I'm still waiting for a replacement tire.. ETA July 20th.. Luckily no damage to the wheel when I got the flat. Unluckily, the factory widowmaker jack slipped off the pinchweld in the rear and crunched the rocker panel. Thankfully MT2 skirts and pods popped out when it crunched and popped back in once the jack was out and I didn't get hurt in the process. Another thing to add to the list.. It needs some paint work anyways.

I hope everyone has enjoyed it thus far, but I will try to be more active on my build thread. I have way more pictures than I know what to do with, but r3v's picture hosting is a pain.

Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Yeaaaah buddy, well deserved! Car is even hotter in person. Will be perfection with a stroked M20!
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
      Yeaaaah buddy, well deserved! Car is even hotter in person. Will be perfection with a stroked M20!
      +1
      While i enjoy the visual appeal of this (or any) MT2 e30, the performance is lacking.
      An M20B25/27 would really wake that thing up!
      If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post

+1
        While i enjoy the visual appeal of this (or any) MT2 e30, the performance is lacking.
        An M20B25/27 would really wake that thing up!
        Engine modifications:

Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Engine modifications:

It only makes sense that a M20B30 is next in the natural progression. Stanley Rockafella you should've felt it when it was M20B20 powered.. so underwhelming on any road, much less a highway.

It's a huge honor to make car of the month and thank you again 2mAn for the kind words. I'm itching to get this out to a track day and back down to Appalachia for more mountain roads.
          1989 JDM-Tech 2
          2010 335 D for daily

Comment

I know the sins you committed at Walmart

Comment

Originally posted by Biddy627 View Post
              Let me guess-

It has something to do with box wine and donuts?
              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Great looking car! I love the small slip of paper with the conversion from km/h to mph in your centre console

Here in Australia we have to do the same conversion, the other way round with old 60s muscle cars (we switched to metric in the late 1960s).

The 320i’s are the ultimate candidate for engine swaps with 6 cylinder brakes & suspension, but much cheaper to buy than a 325i.
                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by Biddy627 View Post
                  I've committed too many sins in too many walmarts to have any idea what you could possibly be talking about
                  1989 JDM-Tech 2
                  2010 335 D for daily

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                    Great looking car! I love the small slip of paper with the conversion from km/h to mph in your centre console
                    For around town its not much of an issue, but long highway trips without cruise control can lead to a lot of variation in speed feel so the sticky note definitely helps
                    1989 JDM-Tech 2
                    2010 335 D for daily

Comment

Originally posted by Simple_Smith View Post

For around town its not much of an issue, but long highway trips without cruise control can lead to a lot of variation in speed feel so the sticky note definitely helps
                      Another solution is to take a screen protector and put it over the speedometer, then write the MPH equivalents in the correct areas on the protector.

Comment

Looks like a clean car!
                        Loving the JDM vibes with the wheels.

Comment

Well executed!

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                          IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Love it!

Comment

The wheels grew on me as I learned how much Japan is happening there. Defiantly a cool E30!

Hope to chat sometime at the vintage. Keep up posted of your E30 journeys! :)

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                              X