No announcement yet.

My Grey Athletic Shoe | 1989 320i Touring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! I just met with the body shop guys again today to firm up the plans for this spring, going to be around 6-7k for bodywork and paint. IMO its a reasonable price to have all the rust and dents taken care of plus a fresh new Lachsilber paint job! I'll be sure to post many pics of the progress.

Also considering purchasing an e34 touring.......... probably shouldn't buuuut.....
    Current Builds
    1989 S52 E30 Touring | The Grey Athletic Shoe
    1993 Toyota Landcruiser | The Trail Snail

Comment

Soooo I got a little trigger happy and ordered a bunch of shit...
      1. Dr. Vanos Kit
        • Rebuilt Vanos
        • VC Gasket
        • VC Bolt Gaskets
        • Timing Chain Tensioner
        • Timing Chain Guide
        • Upper Timing Chain Race Version
      2. Hardwired Battery Maintainer. -DONE
      3. Headliner Replacement - Light Gray Suede
      4. LSeat Leather recover kit for front seats | Black leather, light grey stitching, diamond pattern with perforated insert
        • (I'm working with them on getting a template made for the touring's rear seats)
      5. Heated Seat Elements - DONE
      6. Factory BMW heated seat switches. - DONE
      7. Backlit 5-speed gear shift knob. - DONE
      8. Various subtle interior light trim additions. DONE
        • warm white footwell lights when doors open, super dim red when headlights are on
        • Warm White LED festoon bulbs for all dome lights
      9. A pillar tweeters. DONE
      And now I have to log out of amazon and step away from the computer..........
      Last edited by Sledgehammer_01; 01-15-2023, 07:03 PM.
      Current Builds

Comment

Looking forward to the headliner installation and heated seats. I used an alcantara and it didnt work out so well, might have to redo my headliner sooner than later. I have heated sport seats from my old iX installed and the wiring, just need to connect.

Comment

Tonight I pulled a 4 pair wires through the rear doors wire pass, two of which got wired to the M/// puddle light and the other two for the door handle pocket red ambient LED (on when parking or headlights are on). Then one of the cargo cover mounts broke so I bought a 3d printer and printed a replacement... because that made the most sense... Lastly, I fixed the busted fuel sender unit in the tank, which was a lot less difficult than I thought it would be.
          Attached Files
          Current Builds

Comment

Broken Wire

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8955.jpg Views:	4 Size:	174.0 KB ID:	10078923

Ran a new wire with some Fielect Heating Element Coil Wire / Resistance Wire Cr20Ni80 0.1mm wire I got off Amazon for $7.86 and IT WORKS! Saved me 2-3 hundo
            ​
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8958.jpg Views:	4 Size:	120.0 KB ID:	10078921
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8957.jpg Views:	4 Size:	182.9 KB ID:	10078922
            Current Builds

Comment

That's a great fixin! So many broken level senders out there.

How's the other bigger bits going?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Can you fire that level sender fix into a post in the DIY section or something? I know I'm going to need this next year and I'll struggle to find it again haha
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I put off dealing with the level sensor because of how big of a job I anticipated it to be when in reality it was so easy and fast that I shouldn't have been worried.

Unfortunately, I didn't take enough photos for a DIY post, however there's an excellent youtube video detailing the entire process that I followed. If you know how to solder (or want to learn) its a pretty easy job, just order some 0.1mm Cr20Ni80 resistance wire from amazon watch the video and get goin!

One point to add to the video: I spun a loop in the end of the wire to hold it on the hook then ran it around the end post and pulled it back to the vice where I secured it so it was holding some tension while I soldered it on. After it was soldered I unspun the loose tail and clipped it off.
                  Current Builds

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                    How's the other bigger bits going?
                    So I need to turn my focus to the land cruiser in my garage and finish building that engine so I can get it out of my garage and back to the client so the BMer is taking a back seat at the moment. I've got the Dr. Vanos kit, the headliner material & glue, as well as the heated seat elements & buttons all sitting on the shelf ready to go as soon as I have time. I've been conversing daily with Lseat about the rear seat covers they are creating a template from and have released them to make the fronts with a custom diamond pattern & layout. Also ordered upgraded tweeters and an amplifier for my stereo.

Some of these things will trickle over time but here is my tentative outlook:
                    • DEC: Finish building the FZJ80 1FZ-FE and drop it back in the rig
                    • JAN: Install the Amp & De-trim the BMW to prepare for paint (remove headliner)
                    • FEB 1: Drop BMW off at body shop for rust repair, body work & full repaint, recover headliner while cars in for paint
                    • APR ?: Have full frontal clear bra installed on BMW, replace windshield & re-trim & Reupholster seats
                    • MAY: Dr. Vanos Kit install & clean car so I can lend it to my buddy (who sold it to me) so he can take his wife to the mountains for a quick vacation. Thought that would be a nice way to say thanks for making me a great deal on the car.
                    • JUNE: stop working on the BMW because its more or less DONE and start prepping my Land Cruiser for a fresh coat of Monstaliner
                    Last edited by Sledgehammer_01; 12-22-2022, 09:43 AM.
                    Current Builds

Comment

Bout to finish up this long block and stab it back into the car... I'm so ready to have this client's car out of my garage!
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8968.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	10079194
                      Current Builds

Comment

GOt distraCTed....

Was going to simply just change the e30's oil and it turned into a bit more.

- Changed the Oil
                        - Delt with misc loose bolts and hose clamps
                        - Replaced the a-pillar tweeters with some Dayton Audio ND25FN-4 1" tweeters & 13 uF caps

Since all of that was going so well and fast I figured I'd take on reskinning the driver's seat, adding heated seat elements, modeling & printing some footwell LED light shields.... 12hours later I accepted that things spiraled out of control, everything had to be perfect so all the parts got ultrasonically cleaned, the slide rails got repainted... etc etc..
                        BEFORE (its hard to see all the cracks in the seat base because I colored them in with sharpie.)
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9108.jpg Views:	13 Size:	166.9 KB ID:	10081055

I steamed all the foam to bring it back to life then installed the heater elements
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9109.jpg Views:	14 Size:	211.1 KB ID:	10081054

Took 12 hours for one seat, which included cleaning everything, repainting the sliders, ultrasonic washing the seat belt receiver (was sticking), steaming the foam, installing new gas struts, and wiring the heaters, switches, & footwell lights but it was worth it.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9114.jpg Views:	12 Size:	212.3 KB ID:	10081056
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	F0C5A064-F9B6-42F1-9C6D-807DBF3F3EBE.jpg Views:	13 Size:	238.9 KB ID:	10081058
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Sledgehammer_01; 01-16-2023, 03:58 PM.
                        Current Builds

Comment

I wanted to add rear footwell courtesy lights and red ambient lights that come on when the parking or headlights are switched on. I used the old seats as a proof of concept by wiring in these LED's, just double side taping them to the bottom edge of the rear seat cover facing down towards the carpet, which worked well but from some aspects, you could see the LEDs. So I created a little shield to prevent the source of the light from being visible to anyone.

Here are the products I used:
                          Prewired RED Surface Mount 2835 LED
                          Prewired WARM WHITE Surface Mount 5050 LED
                          12v PWM Dimmer (for full brightness control over the Red Nighttime LED's)
                          WiFi Dome Light Timer, Dimmer, Fade Controller (for courtesy lights when doors open)
                          Prewired 6-Pin Wire connectors (connection from car to seat)

I'll need to bust out my DSLR to get proper night shots of the interior lighting now, but take my word that it's phenomenal. Little subtle modern touches like this make the car so much more of an enjoyable place to spend time while not ruining the purity of the car's heritage.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9110.jpg Views:	0 Size:	225.4 KB ID:	10081065

Using some black high quality superglue I attached the shield to the base of the seat back.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9111.jpg Views:	0 Size:	179.9 KB ID:	10081064

because of the way the white and red LEDs are controlled, they need their own independent + & - runs, so instead of custom-making my own paired wire I just repurposed a low-loss ethernet cable which (outside of being a pain in the ass to solder because of the tiny wire gauge) worked just fine. The gauge of the ethernet cable is just fine to handle the low amp draw of the LED's for this short of run.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9113.jpg Views:	0 Size:	235.9 KB ID:	10081066
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9132.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.8 KB ID:	10081063
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9131.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.4 KB ID:	10081062
                          Current Builds

Comment

Found a good spot to mount the MB Quart amplifier, had to make a little room for it but its fine, the closer it is to the head unit the less wiring I need to run, meaning a cleaner install and simpler project car.
                            Attached Files
                            Current Builds

Comment

I hate project cars that look good on the surface but have a rats nest of wires under the dash and behind the carpet, it makes any troubleshooting problems super challenging and frustrating. I was guilty of this with my land cruiser early on until I had enough and cleaned it all up. Poor wiring is messy, hard to work on and has been the cause of many project cars going up in flames. I've learned that it should take more time to plan your aftermarket wiring than actually installing it.

These are the things I put on paper before I ever touch a wire.
                              • Location of devices needing wiring
                              • Locations of harnesses final terminations
                              • Loads of Devices (amps) to size wire correctly
                                • Also determines fuse sizing if needed
                              • # of wires in the loom
                              • Color of wires in the loom
                                • Note each color & what it is for (If I'm tapping into the cars wiring for 12v, ground, or some other signal, I color match my wire to the factory one I'm connecting to
                              • Sketch out the layout of the harness & wire runs noting locations where each color begins & ends
                                • Try and use the factory wiring harness runs where possible
                                • Also note locations of splices for common power or common ground
                              • Determine where to place connectors so any servicing doesn't involve cutting the harness to remove a component.
                              • Save the layout to the end of your Factory Electrical Troubleshooting Manual
                              I often prototype devies before committing to a final installation so I often run temporary wiring which is ultimately replaced with a complete harness. When the car is back from paint I plan on adding sound deadening so the carpet will come out and the final aux harness will go down under it, I also plan on adding pins to the factory fuse block for the aux devices fuse needs so it'll be as clean as it was when it left the factory.

The amount of time this all takes to build something that ultimately won't be noticed is immense, but knowing that it's all done to a OEM standard gives me a sense of ease and makes troubleshooting in the future much easier.

Just note that this isn't my final harness but it will be a section of it.

Before
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9115.jpg Views:	14 Size:	193.4 KB ID:	10081161

For Christmas my sis gave me a Brady M210 electricians wire label maker that can print labels on heat shrink (fucking love this thing).
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9139.jpg Views:	12 Size:	206.0 KB ID:	10081163

Final product
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9140.jpg Views:	12 Size:	156.1 KB ID:	10081162
                              Last edited by Sledgehammer_01; 01-17-2023, 11:39 AM.
                              Current Builds

Comment

Date with the body/paint shop is set: FEB 13th!
                                Current Builds

Comment

Working...
                                X