New guy - first BMW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy - first BMW

Purchased the following car from a friend who was the winning bidder on BAT, but he doesn't know much about the car.

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: S52-Powered Euro 1985 BMW 323i 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #83,593.

This is my first BMW, thrilled to own it, but I don't know squat about the car.

Anyone here know this car or can share some insight?

Looking forward to the input and guidance.

find out everything you can about the swap. it's popular but there are a couple different ways it could be accomplished. you'll have to know how it was done / what parts were used on your particular car. there is a 24v swap sub-forum here, i would start reading as much as i could on it there.

Comment

Thanks 82eye! I will check out the subforum.

I am still trying to track down the individual who built the car to answer some of the questions.

Will read all that I can as well.

Comment

Looks like a LOT of little niggle things to address (oil leaks, bushings, general-tidying), and based off of the one rats nest photo, the wiring could probably use a good sorting. Looks to be a fantastic deal for someone willing to learn/tinker, or a nightmare for someone who throws it (and their checkbook) at a shop.

2mAn commented on the auction.

Welcome to r3v. What are you hoping to accomplish with the car?

Comment

That seems like a solid car at a reasonable price. As with any old car, just make sure all the maintenance stuff is taken care of (fluids, suspension, etc) and it'll be a blast to drive!
          sigpic
          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Enjoy!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by AceAndrew777 View Post
              Looks like a LOT of little niggle things to address (oil leaks, bushings, general-tidying), and based off of the one rats nest photo, the wiring could probably use a good sorting. Looks to be a fantastic deal for someone willing to learn/tinker, or a nightmare for someone who throws it (and their checkbook) at a shop.

2mAn commented on the auction.

Welcome to r3v. What are you hoping to accomplish with the car?
              Yup lots of little things, but that is ok.

Goal is to have a car to enjoy while I optimize.

Hope to learn as I go.

Ultimate goal is to have a reliable an fun car to enjoy in the Texas hill country during the cold winter.

No AC in Texas sucks

Comment

Appreciate the input.

Hope to learn from this group.

Will have it in the air soon and start making a list...

Comment

Originally posted by DMK1 View Post

Yup lots of little things, but that is ok.

Goal is to have a car to enjoy while I optimize.

Hope to learn as I go.

Ultimate goal is to have a reliable an fun car to enjoy in the Texas hill country during the cold winter.
                  Awesome. This seems like the ideal project for that.

Not sure your exact location, but I believe Terry and Debbie are going to have their annual 02berfest drive/meet this coming weekend (Kerrvile?). That group of vintage bimmer nuts would be a great local resource for questions and bits. I don't think the even is listed online, but you could shoot them a call.

Comment

That would be awesome!!!

Thank you

I am in Houston.

Could you please send me their contact information.
                    Last edited by DMK1; 10-23-2023, 02:37 PM.

Comment

you're gonna have a pile of fun when it's sorted.

Comment

Spoke to Terry. He was kind enough to take my call in retirement.

Still looking for E30 resources in Houston.

Any input would be much appreciated.

I don't use social media.

Comment

I think Jordan Sarette is in Houston but he isn't very active on the forum anymore. He might respond to PM if you search his username "Stuck."

I also have a grey market european 323i that's S52 swapped. It's a very common swap from the E36 M3 using BMW parts and very well documented on this site. Feel free to ask questions.
                          Last edited by reelizmpro; 10-25-2023, 11:02 AM.
                          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                            I think Jordan Sarette is in Houston but he isn't very active on the forum anymore. He might respond to PM if you search his username "Stuck."
                            That's his BFC name, on here he's just Jordan. https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/member/7403-jordan

Comment

Working...
                            X