My 84 318i manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 84 318i manual

Picked it up last Summer. The car starts and did street s couple of seconds. Plan to cam it track it or turn it into my daily, go euro swap and mtech1 kit.

Looks like a bit of a project!
    Love the colour, is it Bronzit?

Comment

Looks darker...like Sahara Beige or something. Euro bumper swap ASAP. These cars deserve to look as they were originally intended.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Bahamabeige Metallic For $500​

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Ahhh Bahama is the darker one. I think you're right.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
            Looks like a bit of a project!
            Love the colour, is it Bronzit?
            Not sure of the color haha I will get back to you this weekend when I go by the shop, the car still has the paint color sticker in the engine bay.

Yeah, if I do end up restoring it, I will probably spend 20K+ to get this car back to perfect. I don't mind the money, and I have the time for it too, but I do want a track car. Turning into a track car would be cheaper, I think.
            I can purchase MS3, cam it, pay someone to tune it for me and be good to go. The car has no rust on the common spots, except for the trunk, weirdly, the bottom of the trunk is rusted, not where water usually accumulates on the side pods behind the wheel wells.
            Will post images when I look at it this weekend.
            Car is at my auto shop, I don't work there anymore, but still manage it and only check up on employees during the weekend.

Comment

Modding the M10 isn't really worth it, unless you boost it IMO. I don't know if your restoration includes the original engine but have you considered swapping it out for a 24v 6 cylinder?

Comment

I would say for track purposes boost the motor. Stock I hate the engine management and bolts on will provide minimal gain, although still fun to mod the little M10. Swaps are plentiful and just about any good combo has been done and documented!

As for a daily, in 2024 I would pass purely out of the safety that it provides for the occupants.
                OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Here's a picture of the paint color, sorry for the delay forgot to post this last week. Well I really don't know about a swap, how costly that may be too. I do like that this is the lightest version of the e30 so maybe swapping it may not be ideal? Yeah my job is 2 miles away from my home so a daily isn't exactly crazy. What do you all think?

Comment

Budget twice what you think for a swap. There are lots of small bits that add up quickly, especially if you need to order from a BMW dealership. And all the "while you're in there" items.

With a two mile commute, I vote to daily drive it.
                    If the car needs work ride your bicycle!

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                      Budget twice what you think for a swap. There are lots of small bits that add up quickly, especially if you need to order from a BMW dealership. And all the "while you're in there" items.

With a two mile commute, I vote to daily drive it.
                      If the car needs work ride your bicycle!
                      Haha yes!!! This right here!! I do ride my bicycle to work on a daily basis haha. So yeah might just refresh the m10 till it blows and prepare for a swap. I have been told the m10s are hard to kill though. Why so much hate on the m10 guys? I know jetronic sucks but honestly, I think the m10 can be a really good engine with enough money.

Comment

With a lightweight early E30 like that, I'd be tempted by an M42 + RHD ITBs.

Comment

It seems everyone myself included wants to shit can the m10 in favor of some type of six conversion. After reading about the m10 development and use by BMW a few years ago I have now a much different opinion. I’ve been thinking for my next , take forever, spend to much, get divorced project , building a m10 for a biturbo ( maybe) with a 100 shot of NOS. It’s been rattling around my head and on paper for about a year.
                          Last edited by PEZ2; 02-06-2024, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PEZ2 View Post
                            It seems everyone myself included wants to shit can the m10 in favor of some type of six conversion. After reading about the m10 development and use by BMW a few years ago I have now a much different opinion. I’ve been thinking for my next , take forever, spend to much, get divorced project , building a m10 for a biturbo ( maybe) with a 100 shot of NOS. It’s been rattling around my head and on paper for about a year.
                            I have been reading lots into this too, super interesting to see how this little motor has so many variants, including the s14. Just seems like lots of potential with enough money lol. I will be doing all the work myself though and idk if swapping it something I'd want to do myself, but maybe with such low tech ecus in this era, it may be easier than I think it is. Anyway, car starts but dies immediately, I will be making a new thread for that. Thank you everyone for your valuable insight. I will probably see you all in the troubleshooting section

Comment

Do a compression test to see what the engine "looks like". The early - early engines were higher compression and can be tuned for some fun for sure as long as you are realistic about what to expect. Early M10 318i pistons had a tall round dome. In the event that the compression numbers are say 125 and even, I'd say the car either has the late lower compression pistons or is just weak/worn. If you drive on dirt roads there is nothing that will compare to a 1983/4/5 318i. They just fly over rough terrain due to RWD and great weight distribution.

Comment

Working...
                              X