turbo...itbs...headaches? yes. Worth it? Yes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turbo...itbs...headaches? yes. Worth it? Yes

Not quite done with the car but thought I would post up some pictures of it. My particular build is not super common and thought others might like to take a look.

Car is a 87 325es
    m20b25 motor refreshed pistons, gaskets, arp studs and hardware etc. Stock compression.
    AN lines all around for fuel, including upgraded pump, pressure regulator, fuel rail, injectors(650cc) etc.
    Car has upgraded mounts all around, brakes, brake lines, GC suspension, swaybars, cooling system overhauled...

Everything basically garagistic sells for this car and tons of other parts

RHD ITB kit with ECU masters standalone
    CxRacing V2 turbo kit, ball bearing GT35 currently on spring pressure 8psi

This week we are swapping the plenum for something aluminum, upgrading clutch, flywheel etc and installing the sikky booster less setup for the brakes. Then finishing the tune in 2 weeks on 91 and on E85

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 10.25.22 PM.png
Views:	154
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	10118114 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 10.25.56 PM.png
Views:	155
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	10118115 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 10.28.45 PM.png
Views:	154
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	10118116
    Attached Files

Curious why you went with ITBs just to slap a turbo on? A pretty uncommon setup.

Does it make any difference to throttle response or spool?

Comment

Yeah, that's a pretty wild setup and a super cool looking car!

I'm also interested in why you have ITBs and FI. I always thought that FI would surpass any gains from ITBs, so a stock or modified manifold with a single TB would be good enough.
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

wild !

Comment

I remember KAMotors doing something like this years ago and someone commenting, "You do this so you have more throttle plates blocking flow" lol. Jokes aside, I bet the intake noise is the real reason to do this.

Comment

Originally posted by zwill23 View Post
            I remember KAMotors doing something like this years ago and someone commenting, "You do this so you have more throttle plates blocking flow" lol. Jokes aside, I bet the intake noise is the real reason to do this.
            I just wonder if you'll get that much intake noise with the throttles plumbed into an intercooler instead of free air?

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post

I just wonder if you'll get that much intake noise with the throttles plumbed into an intercooler instead of free air?
              I'm sure it would be muted, but you can still hear the ITBs with a plenum so I don't see why adding a turbo would change that. We'll just have to wait for lil white bean to give us the full review...

Comment

Working...
              X