Danny's 4door Calypso 24v car

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AWDBOB
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny
    Well this is only the 3.0 bottom end which is why the dilemma of whether to bore it out or not comes up.
    Don't know how I missed that it was an S50. My bore reference was in regards to taking it from 86.4 to 87mm (S52), but now it all makes sense :)

    Leave a comment:


  • Danny
    replied
    Well this is only the 3.0 bottom end which is why the dilemma of whether to bore it out or not comes up.

    Leave a comment:


  • AWDBOB
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny
    No the block seems fine. I haven't pulled it out and sort yet to verify that though.

    87 mm with an 89.6 crank would be the way I would go if I decide to.
    Man, if only you weren't in CA. I'd buy that S52 shortblock from you in a heartbeat to throw some pistons in and run it over my M52.

    Leave a comment:


  • Danny
    replied
    Originally posted by AWDBOB
    You may be surprised how cheap it is to bore it. I'd guess $300 for a deck and bore.

    If you're going to do that, you may as well go 87mm.

    Is the block damaged on the one with damaged pistons?
    No the block seems fine. I haven't pulled it out and sort yet to verify that though.

    87 mm with an 89.6 crank would be the way I would go if I decide to.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    I want the rods from the old bottom end if you are going to junk it. remember me!

    Leave a comment:


  • ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Probably gonna want to torque plate it though if you bore it

    Leave a comment:


  • AWDBOB
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny
    Bought a new house in the same city. I'm torn on what I want to do with the bottom end. I need to call around to some machine shops and see what the pricing is like to bore it out. I'm thinking it probably won't be worth the money to bore it out to s52 specs unless I get some high comp pistons and stuff but then I have to worry about smog. I think I'll probably build the head with some schricks and swap it as long as I don't find something fucky with this bottom end. If I don't bore it out I'll probably chuck the bottom end with the damaged pistons.
    You may be surprised how cheap it is to bore it. I'd guess $300 for a deck and bore.

    If you're going to do that, you may as well go 87mm.

    Is the block damaged on the one with damaged pistons?

    Leave a comment:


  • Danny
    replied
    Bought a new house in the same city. I'm torn on what I want to do with the bottom end. I need to call around to some machine shops and see what the pricing is like to bore it out. I'm thinking it probably won't be worth the money to bore it out to s52 specs unless I get some high comp pistons and stuff but then I have to worry about smog. I think I'll probably build the head with some schricks and swap it as long as I don't find something fucky with this bottom end. If I don't bore it out I'll probably chuck the bottom end with the damaged pistons.

    Leave a comment:


  • mbonanni
    replied
    Danny's 4door Calypso 24v car

    Where you at nowadays Danny? Are you going to try and salvage the bottom end?

    Leave a comment:


  • ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    sounds like a solid plan

    Leave a comment:


  • Danny
    replied
    So based on the damage to the pistons I elected to purchase a used engine. Picked it up from a recycler for a fair price. Pulled from an auto 95 M3 with 140k on it. Plan is to reseal it, pop it in and get it running and then build up the head from the other engine with cams and other machine work then put that head on this bottom end.

    Leave a comment:


  • lukeADE335i
    replied
    The damage to the piston tops looks bad. Particularly the 3rd piston, but several of the other pistons also look like they have lighter damage.

    If there has been that much metal in there, it at least needs to be checked over properly to make sure it's ok. If the bores and ring lands are undamaged, then it might be alright but without disassembly of the bottom end it's hard to tell.

    Probably best to disassemble and have a machine shop measure up the pistons / bores and check it over - then decide what to do.

    Leave a comment:


  • ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Gonna need a new piston and have the rotating assembly balanced. Could of had the end of a spark plug break off and bounce around in there

    Leave a comment:


  • Danny
    replied
    Alright. I'll accept that. No idea what could have gotten in there but my main concern is still if the bottom end is junk.

    Leave a comment:


  • LJ851
    replied
    ^That is not detonation showing on the piston, that's damage from foreign objects.

    Leave a comment:

Working...