• Time
  • Show
Clear All

awesome.
    Singer Vehicle Design.
    Quan@singervehicledesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by Polaris15 View Post
      Couple pics and description of the Probe? Love the e30 but I'm curious as to what a highly modified Probe entails.
      So for those who don't know a Ford Probe is essentially a Mazda Mx6. Has a Mazda KLDE 2.5L V6, quoted as being the smoothest 6cyl BMW never made! haha!

-completely gutted interior
      -motorcycle battery
      -yonaka coilovers
      -17x9 style 5 replica wheels
      -245/40/17 Fuzion tires
      -Mazda 626 rear sway bar
      -Mazda 6 full brake swap I believe 12.5" up front and 11" in the rear?
      -ss braided brake lines
      -3" cold air intake
      -75mm Mustang throttle body
      -custom built IM with 3" neck to ~ 4" plenum with velocity stack runners
      -Ebay OBX headers
      -custom 2"-2.5" downpipe
      -2.5" electric exhaust cutout
      -2.5" exhaust piping to g35 muffler to side exit exhaust (sounded pretty good on my old PGT project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkYLQiHrX7w )
      -75hp wet shot of nitrous
      -Fidanza 9lb flywheel
      -Clutchmaster stage 2 clutch?
      -Megasquirt 2 (if I can ever get the damn thing running)

Pieces waiting to go in:
      -Japanese KLZE engine (200hp instead of the 165hp stock)
      -race grind Colt cams
      -Interprep upgraded valve springs (these motors can rev upwards of 9k with basically just valve springs and an external oil pump... of course cams and a better IM help as well)
      -Mercedes C32 AMG twin screw clutched supercharger (needs to be rebuilt and a mounting plate/intake piping built)

hoping for roughly 200whp NA in current setup revving to ~7500 tuned with MS and around 230whp with the KLZE, cams, and springs revving to ~8500. In stock form the car weighed in at 2760, so completely gutted and stripped I would have to guestimate its closer to 2500 now, which should make for a pretty decent hp/weight ratio... especially when adding nitrous or *gasp* 14psi of boost from the supercharger (which with the stock crank/snout pulleys is pretty much what it would make)

People have made upwards of 550whp (not for long) and a good number running over 350whp reliably on a stock internals KLDE.

Engine bay as a quick fit before the KLZE goes in. Want to get the car running with MS and the new IM/TB first, so things are rather messy...

Yonaka's and Mazda 6 brakes

Ignore all that is "wrong" with this picture... its purpose is to show the side exit exhaust

and a better view of the side exit

With Yonaka coilovers when the STR wheels/tires first went on, before fender rolling

Front view

Keep in mind it is completely in project mode right now...
      2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
      1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
      1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

Awesome! Best looking Probe I've ever seen. I used to love the look of these back in the day. Must be the pop up headlights :)

Comment

Oh hey, I sold you a glove box latch!

Feedback!
          Custom Cup Holder Consoles!
          Calypso Story--S50/Shaved and Tucked Bay

Comment

Originally posted by Steven View Post
            Oh hey, I sold you a glove box latch!
            Who me?

Comment

haha no, me. Whats up Steven!
              1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
              1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

Nice! What's your tire size?
                1991 318IS

Comment

Thanks! 205/50/16... says in my signature and was asked earlier in the thread

Comment

Aaaand update time.

I havent updated in quite a while because things were kind of on hold due to my stereo.

Started off by getting keyless entry from a guy here on the forums, I forget all the details at the moment and I'm a bit too lazy to find it, but it's just a generic keyless entry that has the awesome design feature of having a key/remote in one piece, ala mid 2000's vw's. It's a great design and works well, but after having it for close to a year the original key/remote is pretty much done for. I moved on to the backup remote a few weeks ago...

Somehow when I smoked my front turn signals the wiring got mixed up and despite my efforts I couldnt get the driver side signal to blink correctly. Eventually I decided to cut my losses and just buy Depo smoked turn signals to replace them, which not only fixed the problem, but also look better.

Before

After

And in the sun. The slight orange coloring of the signals doesn't quite look right with the yellow laminex on the fogs, so I'm considering replacing it with clear...

Another idea that really started growing on me was Euro grilles. For some reason people are frequently trying to sell these used in the $100 price range, when in reality you can buy them new for $70. Wasnt gonna fall for that one!

Passenger side US spec, driver's side Euro

Euro all around

Oh yeah, much more aggressive

Oh! And my girlfriend got me a GearSwitch cupholder as well! It's a great design and has the added benefit of holding my gigantic 1.5L Nalgene as well as a cup of coffee. I will say the idea is great, but honestly the fit an finish leaves something to be desired. The fact that its 3D printed leaves a very specific texture to the piece that to me seems more like a prototype than a finished product. Eh, what are you gonna do? It can even hold Safeway soup and oyster crackers!

Although Nothing was actually wrong with my antenna, there always seemed something amiss. Upon further inspection, I realized that there was some sort of fused link that made it look like it never fully extended.

Plus it was obviously old and worn and wasn't looking it's best. Look at that stubby little weirdo.

So I went on antennamastsrus.com and ordered a ~$13 replacement. Must say I'm very happy with the end result and ease of installation. It's also fully chrome, which keeps with the general color scheme I'm aiming for with this car.
                    Old antenna retracted... all black

New antenna retracted... bright and shiney

And fully extended... nice and erect

Now lets move on to the stereo. I decided I finally wanted something good sounding in the car and to see what I could come up with that would be relatively inexpensive, but still good quality. Started off with a Pioneer DEH-80PRS head unit, as it seemed like a pretty great price/performance ratio.

Then went for the crowd favorite Dayton Audio ND25FN 1" Neo Silk Dome Tweeters

And after searching around for Dayton 5.25" woofers to match the tweets, I ended up with Silver Flute woofers via a suggestion instead. They have rave reviews and only cost ~$20 a piece!

For the trunk I purchased a Hifonics BRX5016.5 5-channel amp, Image Dynamics ID12 D4, and a 12" Lukebox. While it seems to be the usual practice to get a 10" Lukebox, I wanted a 12" as I don't have a rear ski pass and it vents thru the parcel shelf instead.

After running this setup and having problems with the box/install and the amp failing after 6 months of use, I decided to push the envelope a bit and ordered Precision Power P900.4 and P1000.1 amps as well as a Sundown Audio SA-12 D2 sub. Thankfully I was able to completely offset the cost of this purchase by selling some old audio equipment that I had sitting in my garage and which would most likely never be used again.

What a monster!

In the box

Amps mounted

Wired

And installed

After turning the "gain" on the amps up to ~33% the sub cut out on a low note on one of my first practice listens. I immediately looked up possible culprits, and came to the conclusion that at the very least the "Big 3" would need to be performed. While doing research I observed the general consensus that E30's really only need the a "Big 1" performed, which consisted of replacing the stock (and likely worn) engine to chassis ground, and upgrading the alternator to starter power cable.

First I removed the grounding cable, as it was by far easier to take off. It's not super clear in the below picture, but that is one worn out busted piece of wire.

Fresh and clean 2 gauge welding wire.

Copper terminals

Crimped and heat shrink wrapped

Side by side

Then I moved on to the alternator to starter power cable. It's run in the wiring harness so it's removal was much more difficult, and eventually involved cutting and pulling from either end. I'll also add that while the ground wire looks to be 2 gauge (or at least very close) this power wire is much smaller... something along the lines of 8/10 guage? Seems pretty weak considering the rest of the wire from the starter back to the battery is ~0 gauge.

Got a good picture of the crimp this time. Had to buy a special tool and clamp it in my vice to make sure its on there tight!

Finished product

I'll add that I had to order this stuff in quantities larger than I needed, so if anyone's interested I have enough left over to make 1 more positive cable and 12 more grounds.

After installing the new cables I took it out for a test listen again. While it was able to hit MUCH harder with the new cables in place, I think the fact that I have 2 large amps is simply drawing too much for stock alternator. Thankfully I realized this was probably going to be an issue and ordered a 115amp alternator last week. Should be here Wednesday!

Lastly, one of the issues with the stereo install was that the template which came with the box was written upside down, so unfortunately this resulted in some very nice initial cuts with a 3.5" hole saw

And ended up with some very unfortunately looking ovals

Today's project will be to recover the above parcel shelf, as it needed new fabric anyway, and fix the ugliness... stay tuned!

Comment

looks awesome dude

1991 325i
                      flickr
                      @sambhaskins

Comment

Good job on the e30! Was the car garage kept? The paint looks really good for the age and mileage.

Also digging the Probe. I recently got into the Mazda world (I have an MSP). The KLZE seems like a great engine from all of the swaps/builds I've read about
                        '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                        '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

It was garage kept for the first half of it's life, got a repaint roughly 15 years ago due to being in an accident with 2 deer at 80mph, and was kept outdoors for the past 8 years or so. The paint looks very good from 10 feet out, but has a good number of blemishes up close, especially on the roof. Definitely going to repaint it Sterling Silver in the future.

KLZE is definitely a great way to go if you want to take the v6 route!

Comment

Dude I just found what wheels I'll be putting on my sedan! Love the look of your car. Keep posting!

Comment

Finally got around to fixing the rear parcel shelf...

Started by pulling the carpet off the shelf

Trimmed the deadening matt off the underside

Taped off the top and laid some fiberglass cloth on the underside.

Next I pulled the Lukebox back out, temporarily installed the parcel shelf, turned the incorrectly marked template upside down and redrilled the pilot holes, and finally cut out the 3.5" port holes. Unfortunately and obviously no pictures of this process.

Then I covered it with some fleece-ish fabric and reinstalled the hardware

And reinstalled it along with the rear seats

Not too shabby. It's nice to no longer have all the road noise coming from the back and although the bass is quieter, it also sounds a bit tighter. Next on the list is to fix the odometer gears and install chrome gauge rings. May consider going for the rear pop out and chrome trim conversion, but we'll see about that.

Comment

Love my 12" Lukebox. Its going to be hard to part with it here soon...
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X