No announcement yet.

I have an E 30.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob? Ohhhh, TPIR! I was about to Google "dyno" and "bob" because I didn't get it. Heh, good 'ole Bob Barker. Now back to the car. Those were good, reasonable bids on the power, but these are inflationary times:

The actual retail price on this e30 is.... 226 RWHP, and 222 ft/lbs torque.

The guys in the shop seemed pretty excited about it. I am for sure. When they told me over the phone that it made over 220 HP, I was stoked. When I got to the shop and asked how much power at the wheels, they looked at me weird and said "That IS at the wheels!" Man, even if their eddy-current AWD dyno reads high, I'll take it.

Looks like they found an extra ten HP through the entire curve by pulling back all of the aggressive advance from the prior chip back to stock levels (thereby saving my engine), and really dialed in the fueling. Also raised my idle to a nice steady 950 RPM so it won't stall with that really lightweight flywheel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9299 (1).jpg
Views:	294
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	10050926

Name:	IMG_9301.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	10050927
    '91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by Nader393 View Post

The guys in the shop seemed pretty excited about it. I am for sure. When they told me over the phone that it made over 220 HP, I was stoked. When I got to the shop and asked how much power at the wheels, they looked at me weird and said "That IS at the wheels!" Man, even if their eddy-current AWD dyno reads high, I'll take it.
      Strong! Sounds like they spent the time to dial it all in which should give you some peace of mind. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post

Strong! Sounds like they spent the time to dial it all in which should give you some peace of mind. Well done.
        You are correct, Michael Jordan Weimer! The car $pent over $ix hour$ on the dyno. Pretty much the whole day. No regert$! Definitely $ome of the be$t $$$ I've $pent on it.

This E30 is now faster than my '87 Carrera (which has a dyno-verified 185 RWHP, and weighs about the same)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1408.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.9 KB ID:	10051019

And it also has a similar power/weight ratio to my '91 348.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5462.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.7 KB ID:	10051020

This E30 is now almost as fast as a modern V6 Accord or Camry.

After all this, I have a pile of leftover parts. Including a complete running 2.7 (or is it 2.8?) stroker engine with shaved Myster-E performance head, G-260 transmission+clutch, and wire harness+ECU. I'm kicking around the idea of getting a crusty shell of a 2002 and doing an M20 swap. Hmm...
        '91 325i

Comment

You are correct, Michael Jordan Weimer! The car $pent over $ix hour$ on the dyno. Pretty much the whole day. No regert$! Definitely $ome of the be$t $$$ I've $pent on it.

This E30 is now faster than my '87 Carrera (which has a dyno-verified 185 RWHP, and weighs about the same)

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1408.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.9 KB ID:	10051019

And it also has a similar power/weight ratio to my '91 348.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5462.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.7 KB ID:	10051020

This E30 is now almost as fast as a modern V6 Accord or Camry.

After all this, I have a pile of leftover parts. Including a complete running 2.7 (or is it 2.8?) stroker engine with shaved Myster-E performance head, G-260 transmission+clutch, and wire harness+ECU. I'm kicking around the idea of getting a crusty shell of a 2002 and doing an M20 swap. Hmm...
          if you end up not doing anything with the aforementioned, please let me know. i'm sort of in need of an M20 core for a client's future stroker build, but would happily take everything you've got.
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post

if you end up not doing anything with the aforementioned, please let me know. i'm sort of in need of an M20 core for a client's future stroker build, but would happily take everything you've got.
            Tell you what, Austin; if my source for that e28 M5 engine (S35/B38) pans out and I get it (it's a multi-year coaxing approach), I'll sell you that M20 stuff. You still have that header/exhaust combo I gave you? It would go well with this. Then I'll put the M5 powerplant in my car, and use this current 2.9 for a 2002 project.
            '91 325i

Comment

When I read the estimate, I was going to say 205whp. Pretty potent if it's making 226.
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Kept breaking the old hard tires loose, especially in the perpetually wet weather we have up here. Got some better tires for future track days, that could hopefully maintain traction in this awful, cold and wet PNW climate. They are Yokohamas something or anothers in a treadwear rating of 200. You folks in the desert southwest and L.A. may be facing a water crisis, but up here, we have all the water and then some, and I'd happily trade it to you guys for some warm, dry weather. OTOH, If this global warming deal comes through, I might have your guys' climate in a few years.

Name:	IMG_9453.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	10054322

Name:	IMG_9452.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	10054323
                '91 325i

Comment

Not surprised, but still very happy, to see those numbers. When I worked with Mahle to design these pistons, this is right in that sweet spot we were aiming for.

As for the 2002 plans .... yesssss, come to the dark side! No regerts!

Comment

the Advans are a great tire, nice choice.

Comment

Just to push forward that M20'02 idea .... here's a roundie with all the bodywork heavy lifting needed for the M20 already completed. Cannot state how good the deal is, and seems tailer-made for you. If you do have any questions regarding the swap, let me know.

1973 BMW 2002 M20 Restomod Project - BMW 2002 and Neue Klasse Cars for Sale/Wanted - BMW 2002 FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by AceAndrew777 View Post
                        Just to push forward that M20'02 idea .... here's a roundie with all the bodywork heavy lifting needed for the M20 already completed. Cannot state how good the deal is, and seems tailer-made for you. If you do have any questions regarding the swap, let me know.

1973 BMW 2002 M20 Restomod Project - BMW 2002 and Neue Klasse Cars for Sale/Wanted - BMW 2002 FAQ
                        Oh, man. I wish you wouldn't have posted that. I have a big diesel truck and enclosed hauler to fetch it. And I've got someone in mind to do this project. You think he'll knock some off the price if I didn't need the drivetrain? I'll need to think about this. I just don't have the space and energy right now to go through with it. At which point it's still probably another $20K minimum to finish it if I farm it out.

While I think on that, I want to point out that I'm probably the only person on this site to know what a fresh e30 smells like when it's brought home off the showroom floor. My dad did it twice in the mid-late '80's when I was a teenager, right around when I got my driver's license. First was a white 5-speed 325es he bought new in '86. He could barely drive a stick, and didn't realize it was a manual transmission car until after he signed the papers. I distinctly remember the smell of it in the garage as the warmed up Cosmoline was off-gassing after its first drive home. At the time I wondered if that was the smell of a burning clutch (because he sucked at driving a stick). But it kept smelling that way for a month or so after he learned to drive the thing. That smell... It's a pleasant chemical smell; kind of like a cross between WD-40 and Hoppes #9 gun cleaner.

Then in a particularly bad rainstorm, he filled the still newish car's tank at a gas station that was flooded with water, and it hydrolocked the engine. Had it towed to the dealership, then that same night he bought what was probably the first e30 M3 in the Midwest, white/black, right off the showroom floor. I was there, and remember him trying to choose between that and the red 535is (with M-tech rear spoiler) sitting next to it. It was $32K. He didn't realize it was a 4-cylinder engine until after he bought it. He had enough fun on the test-drive that it wouldn't have mattered, anyway. I remember he exclaimed after the test drive that he didn't have to slow down for the turns. So then he kept the dealership open after hours trying to settle on a deal. I feel like I've already told this story. I forget. Anyway, the warmed up M3 smelled the same in the garage as the previous 325es. At this point I figured it was just how good German cars smelled.

I want to re-experience that. So I bought this, for $17.

Name:	IMG_9458.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	10054965

Test spray smells right, I think, so I'm going to hit the oil sump and transmission with it, see how it smells when it's warmed up. I'll report back later.
                        '91 325i

Comment

While I think on that, I want to point out that I'm probably the only person on this site to know what a fresh e30 smells like when it's brought home off the showroom floor. My dad did it twice in the mid-late '80's when I was a teenager, right around when I got my driver's license. First was a white 5-speed 325es he bought new in '86. He could barely drive a stick, and didn't realize it was a manual transmission car until after he signed the papers. I distinctly remember the smell of it in the garage as the warmed up Cosmoline was off-gassing after its first drive home. At the time I wondered if that was the smell of a burning clutch (because he sucked at driving a stick). But it kept smelling that way for a month or so after he learned to drive the thing. That smell... It's a pleasant chemical smell; kind of like a cross between WD-40 and Hoppes #9 gun cleaner.

Then in a particularly bad rainstorm, he filled the still newish car's tank at a gas station that was flooded with water, and it hydrolocked the engine. Had it towed to the dealership, then that same night he bought what was probably the first e30 M3 in the Midwest, white/black, right off the showroom floor. I was there, and remember him trying to choose between that and the red 535is (with M-tech rear spoiler) sitting next to it. It was $32K. He didn't realize it was a 4-cylinder engine until after he bought it. He had enough fun on the test-drive that it wouldn't have mattered, anyway. I remember he exclaimed after the test drive that he didn't have to slow down for the turns. So then he kept the dealership open after hours trying to settle on a deal. I feel like I've already told this story. I forget. Anyway, the warmed up M3 smelled the same in the garage as the previous 325es. At this point I figured it was just how good German cars smelled.
                          what an awesome story, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Name:	meme.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	10055126
                            '91 325i

Comment

I paid good money for those Yokohama tires, and I need to make sure everyone knows that’s what they are.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9466.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.4 KB ID:	10055268

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9467.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.4 KB ID:	10055270

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9470.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.2 KB ID:	10055269
                              Last edited by Nader393; 05-09-2022, 10:39 PM.
                              '91 325i

Comment

Add some red arrows on the fenders pointing to them too while you're at it
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X