1984 318i build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1984 318i build

I have decided to start a build thread for probably the most hated e30, a 1984 318i. The car has the m10 with L jet and 3hp22 auto. The car is a pretty bare bones base model. I am starting this thread to show some love to these cars and show that you can make them into a respectable and enjoyable car.
    Last edited by HENNAROT318i; 07-17-2021, 11:05 AM.

Originally posted by HENNAROT318i View Post
    The car has the LEGENDARY m10 with L jet...
    FTFY

lets see some pics
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Here are some pictures of what I am starting with. Mice were in the car so it will be getting a new interior, probably something custom. The best part is it is solid, came up from Georgia.

Comment

Hell yea dude gonna keep my eye on this for sure. What are your plans for it?

Comment

Well the build is directed by 2 factors, I want to show that you can have a fun to drive m10 and I have a tight budget of 6k. The car needs some things to be drivable, so I will have to be smart with my purchases to have enough left over for some goodies. The goal of the build is to have a car that is comfortable to drive and respectable enough to take to local car shows.

Comment

Had a triage day on the car, found out it needs oil pan gaskets, valve cover gaskets, new injectors, and the rack is toast. This has led me to buy a set for refurbed injectors and a new rack setup. I have decided to go with a z3 rack conversion. Figured it was my best bang for my buck as far as a repair and upgrade all in one. I will post pictures of the work being done as things arrive.

Comment

If you decide to sell the front valance please drop me a message.

I drove my e30 from California to London!

Comment

Originally posted by HENNAROT318i View Post
                Had a triage day on the car, found out it needs oil pan gaskets, valve cover gaskets, new injectors, and the rack is toast. This has led me to buy a set for refurbed injectors and a new rack setup. I have decided to go with a z3 rack conversion. Figured it was my best bang for my buck as far as a repair and upgrade all in one. I will post pictures of the work being done as things arrive.
                Hold on tight, it’s just the beginning.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Came home tonight at a package of goodies, my injectors came. I decided to throw them in real quick. They seem to have fixed my super rich running problem, however now I have discovered it is way out of time. So I guess I will have to work on setting the timing.

Comment

I have been thinking about the seats and have decided to get a set out of an e90. The reason for this is I like the seats in my wife’s f90, but e90 seats are cheaper. So I bought some that are the same style as the f90. I will post pictures when the arrive this weekend.

Comment

Spent the morning cleaning the carpet, I know it is still stained a little. That doesn’t matter though, because I am going to re dye the carpet. The seats have arrived and I think I am going to attempt something crazy. Also the rack and IE mounting kit showed up.

Comment

I was wondering if this is something rare, as I have yet to see another one. I am trying to find some info on it before I start trying to clean it up and possibly ruin it.

Comment

My crazy idea worked! I now have a matching rear seat with headrests!

Comment

Spent the day setting the timing and dyed the carpet black. Also found out my tps and o2 is bad so have those in order

Comment

If it has over 150K on it check the oil pump clearances while you have the pan off. Also, if it starts up and revs high for a moment while making a rattling noise you might consider putting a new set of rod bearings in while the pan is off. The 1984 L-Jet was not as refined as the 1985 and allowed the engine to rev too much on start up - that toasted a lot of bearings. The 318i M10 is a 300K + engine, but might need an oil pump, rod bearings and valve guides around 200K or so. I was heavily into these back in the 90s so feel free to fire away with questions. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X