A new start: 1990 325i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new start: 1990 325i

Hey guys, just wanted to post my latest project up. I bought this 1990 325i in March after making the decision to sell my M52 swapped 318is. That car had a lot of sentimental value. I had owned it for 11 years - drove it through high school, had it painted, and swapped the engine. There were some major flaws with the paint and bodywork. On top of that, I never really drove it anymore. I just didn’t like it as much with the m52. I didn’t feel like dumping more time and money into the car so I decided to move on and start fresh with a more stock example.

I found this 1990 325i for sale in March. It was enthusiast owned and only about an hour away. Its a little rough around the edges but seems like a good base to start with. Highlights include functional R134a A/C, GE coilovers w/ new Bilsteins, Miller MAF conversion, Z3 steering rack, Euro trim, black sport interior, etc. It came with 17” Apex Arc-8s but they looked way too big. I sold them just a few days later and went with some Jongbloed Racing (Spec e30) 15" wheels.

So far I’ve done quite a bit to it. The very first thing I did after wheels was drill into the trunk and install my Pfeba spoiler. I replaced the valve cover gasket and adjusted the valves, new plugs, oil change, replaced the sway bar end links, added a z3 1.9 shifter with Garagistic bushings, and changed the trans fluid to Redline MTL. I also had to replace the central locking relay, washer pump, blower resistor, wiper relay, and adjust the sunroof/install new seal.

This past month, I installed Pioneer component speakers in the rear premium housings and I’ve been clay barring and polishing the paint in sections. In hindsight, this car needed a lot more small things than I realized when I bought it. But its a 30 year old e30, so I guess that's expected.

Last edited by Codym42; 11-26-2021, 09:52 PM.
    '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
    '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

it's looking good . keep at it. good job so far.

Comment

Looks good with the pfeba spoiler!

Comment

Heavily share the sentiment re: your M52 car. I remember the first page of Linda's build thread many moons ago I vowed to keep the car simple and drive it. All I did was take it apart, and I just grew not to like the car anymore. I hope you can keep the good vibes going with this one!
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Looks like a good start, we’re looking forward to the journey.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Great looking car, seems like you found a nice solid example. Good call on swapping out the wheels and tires; I've not seen those Jongbloed wheels prior to this post, they look great and are probably fairly lightweight. What muffler is poking out of the rear valence?

Comment

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the feedback. I'm hoping to keep this car as a simple driver that I can enjoy.

Also, is there a way to quote multiple posts at one time? Or is that feature no longer available?

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
              Great looking car, seems like you found a nice solid example. Good call on swapping out the wheels and tires; I've not seen those Jongbloed wheels prior to this post, they look great and are probably fairly lightweight. What muffler is poking out of the rear valence?
              I like them too. I debated on these or the Team Dynamics wheels but glad I went with the Jongbloeds. I couldn't find any brand name on the muffler so I'm not sure what it is but it sounds pretty good and isn't loud.
              '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
              '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Nothing wrong with keeping it simple. As long as the exhaust sounds good it matters not what brand, some of the "brands" don't sound great.

BTW: I don't see a way to multiple quote using the options at the bottom of the posts...usually I will quote someone, copy/cut that out of the reply window, quote another person and then paste the first quote back into the same window. Clunky but works for me.

Comment

Love the look , clean and simple

Comment

Updates!

The rear deck speakers were a weird setup. I found Sony coaxials with MB Quart crossovers going to the factory BMW tweeter. I pulled those out and installed some Pioneer component speakers. I didn't modify the premium housing at all - just grinded down the tweeter trim and used over sized washers to hold them in place. The grilles fit now too!

The headlights were looking a little rough and they were set in RHD setting. I started by peeling the yellow film off, which was cracked and faded. Then I painted the trim rings and installed a good 'ol DDM Tuning 35w 4300k HID kit. I wish I had gone 5000k as the 4300k look like halogen. My last set had whiter light which looked so good.

I swapped the grilles with some that I had painted. Kind of missing the BMW CCA badge, but I may swap that over later. Also noticed that even after using goo gone, the high beams look yellowed.

I found that the high and low beam relays were already jumped as well!

And lastly, I decided to replace this old crusty looking coolant bottle and tidy up a few other odds and ends. This included my clutch master hose that didn't even have a hose clamp on it... :/

My engine bay looks dirty next to that shiny new coolant bottle. Which, made me notice that the radiator has cosmoline on it. Original radiator at 200k+ miles?

Hopefully will have more updates soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Codym42; 02-12-2022, 10:45 PM.
                    '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                    '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Nice solution for the rear deck speakers. I've tried a few and most don't fit properly under the grills...thanks for sharing.

Tell me more about the Bi-turbo lurking in the background of that HID install shot....looks like a later model year....

Comment

Looks like a great car so far. Excited to see where this goes!

Good call on the wheel swap, other set just didn't look right at as you said. I've seen some E30 M3's pull off 17s but not many regular E30s that can make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                          Nice solution for the rear deck speakers. I've tried a few and most don't fit properly under the grills...thanks for sharing.

Tell me more about the Bi-turbo lurking in the background of that HID install shot....looks like a later model year....

Good eye! My dad has been helping his friend get it roadworthy after sitting for nearly a decade. Its a 1989 Maserati 430. Luckily the later cars like this one are fuel injected. I've heard the carbureted ones have a lot more issues.

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                          Looks like a great car so far. Excited to see where this goes!

Good call on the wheel swap, other set just didn't look right at as you said. I've seen some E30 M3's pull off 17s but not many regular E30s that can make it work.

Thanks! I like these wheels a lot better than the Apex's. Probably should have bought the 15mm offset instead of the 25mm. I'm running a 5mm spacer up front but there's room for more. Oh well, at least they don't rub!
                          '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                          '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Finally some updates from last month!

I've been dying to change the stereo out. The Pioneer with bluetooth (that I sourced from a parts car) was fine but the blue lights really clashed with the red lighting in the e30. Decided to finally change it out.

I used my new assortment of electrical tools with some non - insulated butt connectors from Amazon.

As you guys know, the e30 never really came with a legit radio harness. Its made up of individual plugs, which are all different. And the previous owner(s) had already hacked most of it up. I decided to source a radio harness from a different car. I wanted to be able to buy a harness adapter and plug right in. So I chose the 1987-present Toyota harness. Now whenever I change the radio again, I don't have to keep cutting and hacking the factory wires. The Toyota harness was easy to find and includes wires for illumination, antenna, and remote amp. I thought about using an e46 radio harness (to keep it BMW) but I really hate that thing. Its bulky and hard to unclip.

Should have made it a bit shorter but it came out nice with the heatshrink.

I installed this Alpine CDE-172BT and its really nice. Bluetooth, variable colors, dims with the headlights on, and doesn't look too bad. The menus are a little tricky to navigate but I've never had an Alpine before.

And lastly, a rare sight of me driving it to work! The sides of the car are polished but the back and roof are not.

Last edited by Codym42; 04-09-2022, 07:42 PM.
                            '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                            '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Updates incoming
                              Last edited by Codym42; 06-11-2022, 09:39 PM.
                              '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                              '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Working...
                              X