X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Unicorn - The Touring

========================///========================

Introduction:

This has been a long time coming. I've lusted after E30 Tourings ever since I got into these things. I promised myself after I sold my last E30 (for nearly nothing 5 years ago - almost to the day) that if I ever could get into another E30, it would be a wagon.

I started thinking about getting another E30, in fact it probably was a thought that consumed too much of my mind in recent years. Seeing that E30 prices were rising - I realized if I was going to get one - it might as well be what I truly want: a wagon. To do this, I had to be an adult and sell off the expensive car that was in my hands for less than a year (which is odd for me, as I keep my cars generally for a long time.) The expensive car was my incredible "do-it-all" car, a Honda Civic Type R (FK8 Chassis). I still think it's one of the best vehicles out there, but something was missing, or maybe I'm cheap. I didn't have any buyers remorse, honestly, but I felt like I could have two cars for the cost of it - better cars? Probably not, but two is greater than one? So that's what I did, thankfully due to the FK8 market being what it is, having a low mileage excellent example, I actually broke even on it after I enjoyed for around 9 months.

So, after that, the search began for the E30. After talks, with many people with tourings and people in this community in general, I came across the one. It checked all of the right boxes, including AC and rust free. The car is originally from Italy, then was in Poland for a few months, then came to New York. The kilometers/ miles seem accurate backed up by previous service records. I honestly can't thank all of the people who were able to help me in my search, questions, and giving advice enough - especially the seller. I ended up buying my touring from one of our very own members. Miguel rest assured, she is in good hands. Turns out I replied to his email on 3/18. Seems like fate looking back at that now.

This car is going to stick with me forever, and if it is my last gas vehicle, I'm ok with that. I've bought and sold too many E30s 10-15 years ago, no more selling for me, should have just mothballed a few of them, hindsight being 20/20 and all that. The long term goal this car will likely get an engine swap, but AC and all creature comforts will remain. While this isn't a daily, I want to be able to enjoy it year round, even in the middle of Phoenix summer. In the short term, the car will be getting a few minor cosmetic issues addressed then suspension upgrades, and wheels - still deciding on a few things on those fronts.

Also on the lookout for either sport seats or aftermarket but classic front seats (Recaros, etc)... or a design edition interior - please message me if you have details on either.

Full photoshoots to come. I'm just beyond happy to be fortunate enough to get my unicorn.

Links:

Many pictures will flood my instagram.​

Spreadsheet, a little bit of service booklet + wish-list, always changing.

Project: Engine Swap + Other Things --- 24V Thread Link

11.17.2022 --- Engine and Transmission Purchased. (meme format)
    11.17.2022 - TO - 11.27.2022 --- Many parts purchased. With more to purchase.
    11.27.2022 --- Engine / Trans / Exhaust / Driveshaft / Other stuff removed, first pass at cleaning engine bay. LINK TO POST

------ Stuff happened, but not much to show. More posts to show details later.
    05.17.2023 --- Progress, teasers. LINK TO POST

05.17.2023 --- Need a source for Wire Diagrams, maybe a way to trace wires from your Z4 harness? LINK TO POST
    05.17.2023 ---Header appreciation post. LINK TO POST
    05.26.2023 --- Headers back from ceramic coating LINK TO POST
    05.29.2023 --- C101 finally some progress LINK TO POST

05.29.2023 --- Oil Pan completed LINK TO POST

Project: Air Ride --- Pending

??.??.???? ---
    ??.??.???? ---​​​
    ​​??.??.???? ---

Project: Interior --- Pending

??.??.???? ---
    ??.??.???? ---​​​
    ​​??.??.???? ---

Project: _________________

??.??.???? ---
    ??.??.???? ---​​​
    ​​??.??.???? ---

??.??.???? ---

Project: _________________

??.??.???? ---
    ??.??.???? ---​​​
    ​​??.??.???? ---
    ​​

​​

How it came to me / first "this is what it is, list":
    1993 318i Touring
    Laguna Green Metallic
    Slicktop / No Sunroof
    New Black Headliner
    M40B18, 5 speed
    123+K Kilometers /// 76K+ miles
    Power Steering
    Power Front Windows
    Rear Crank Windows (with power rear window hardware included)
    Power Mirrors
    Factory AC
    15" Euro Weaves - Fresh Powder Coat in Nogaro Silver with matching center caps
    New Brakes
    New Tires
    Freshly installed IS side skirts
    IS front lip
    Map Light Mirror

Teaser photos:

Initial / First shots:

Also recreated a shot I did some ~15ish years ago with a previous E30. Slightly better camera this time.

Last edited by DEV0 E30; 05-29-2023, 08:57 PM.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Reserved for later.

Comment

Reserved for later 2.

Comment

Reserved for later 3.

Comment

I love forever cars and builds. Looking forward for progress and status updates!

The thought of a Touring still excites me.
          Last edited by moatilliatta; 03-30-2022, 06:23 AM.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Congrats man! I'm excited to see where you take this thing. It's gorgeous and I can't wait to see more pics! Laguna is so incredible.

Comment

Awesome!! I was curious why the TypeR sold so quickly after buying it. I really hope one of my damn cars will be that 'forever' car... none want to give me the same love back that I put into them... except one but I was forced to sell that one sadly
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                I love forever cars and builds. Looking forward for progress and status updates!

The though of a Touring still excites me.

Originally posted by Il Duce View Post
                Congrats man! I'm excited to see where you take this thing. It's gorgeous and I can't wait to see more pics! Laguna is so incredible.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                Awesome!! I was curious why the TypeR sold so quickly after buying it. I really hope one of my damn cars will be that 'forever' car... none want to give me the same love back that I put into them... except one but I was forced to sell that one sadly

Much excite here too guys. I still can't believe it finally happened.

There were a few that I was in talks about, I almost bid on tourings on BAT, literally watched their counters go to zero fighting internally with myself - but nothing felt like the one till this thing presented itself.

It's been so long since I've driven an E30 especially completely stock feels so damn plush. It's definitely the anti-thesis to my current "daily" Civic.

I'm very content with driving this thing stock for a bit until I really decide what to do, I've got plenty of ideas but I'm hoping to really plan out things with this one, and I'm in no rush.

Type R was great honestly - I just realized if I didn't act soon on the E30 itch I'd be regretting it.

With any car, things will happen but I'm hoping it shows the love back.

Comment

Congrats! Looks like a really nice example and I enjoy hearing the backstory. It's hard to find the soul in newer cars - it is easy to find in an E30.

Comment

Welcome to the club. Love the Nogaro wheels!
                    1992 325i Cabrio
                    1988 320i Touring
                    2000 M5
                    1977 530i
                    2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                    BMWCCA
                    E30CCA

Comment

Love the callback to the OG pic! Shit, I should do that too. BRB going to my parent's house.

Comment

Originally posted by Il Duce View Post
                        Love the callback to the OG pic! Shit, I should do that too. BRB going to my parent's house.
                        Yes! Maximum wheel turn please.

Comment

How are you liking the m42 so far?

Comment

Nice example! Great color as well :)
                            1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                            1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I hear ya. I've enjoyed my m42. Neat lil motor for what it is I reckon.

Comment

Working...
                              X