Bought a POS, this is R3Vs fault
Collapse
X
-
I checked the fuses and they are good. The rest of the Cluster works so not sure its the SI Batteries... possible bad connection. At one point is was a little intermittent, then its just stopped completely.
In other news, I dropped the car off at JMP Auto to install Power Steering and also dyno the car. Im expecting some BIG numbers from the M20.



😎 1Leave a comment:
-
Hey, I see my schematic is posted here. I don't have a facebook page for Reans yet but you can find my personal account under Reagan Ansel (the name on the schematic). If you have more specifics about how your tach doesn't work and what kind it is I can help troubleshoot.👍 2Leave a comment:
-
funny that you ask about the tach, i just looked at this thread:
Any interest in e30 cluster gauges testing info (speedo/tach/fuel/temp) - R3VLimited Forums
buy a cheap signal generator from amazon and go to town. my bet is a broken solder joint (touch it with a soldering iron to reflow) or a broken wire/plug on the diff.
does cruise control require working ABS? i know the ABS relay under the dash has a fuse in it, you can bypass it to an external fuse if needed.Leave a comment:
-
I'm picking up a friend's used cowcatcher for 250 bucks including fog lamps but I have instructions on how to install it thanks to one bmw service notice that is pinned on my wall lol, However I do know a guy who works on these clusters so here's a image pulled from his website. Credit goes to Reagen Anills.
I believe you can message him on facebook if you wish regarding questions about your gauge cluster.👍 1Leave a comment:
-
So I have a track day in about a month. Going to Sonoma Raceway, which as a kid who grew up in Northern California, is another bucket list. I managed to convince my brother to join me but instead of bringing his 190e 2.3-16 he's going to bring his 987.2 Boxster S. He will have a major advantage on the power side of things, but this is only his second track day. Trying to get him to bring his Benz to the next planned event a Chuckwalla later on...
Anyways, heres the goals I have for myself between now and then:
(1) Get the tach working... is there an easy solution VS sending out the cluster to someone? Can I just R&R something??
(2) Get the cruise control working. This starts with finally feeding the connector into the compartment.
(3) Finish installing the rear component speakers in the car. Its a solid ~5+ hours driving so I am trying to make the boring drive, less boring. Its still going to suck driving because July in Central California means I will likely be in 100 degree weather for an extended period of time.
(4) Hopefully getting the front control arms replaced as JMP mentioned that they should be replaced soon.
(5) MAYBE get the Cowcatcher brake ducts installed, though the inner fender liner side is missing on mine so not sure this will happen.
Last edited by 2mAn; 06-04-2026, 02:30 PM.Leave a comment:
-
Gemini works better for that stuff. See below, it may have replaced me with some old dude, scaled a little off, and forgotten the Mazda badge, but it did a surprisingly passable job of putting my FD in the place of my E30 from this picture of me driving tail of the dragon. With better prompting it probably would have been pretty tough to distinguish from real.
😎 1Leave a comment:
-
the PN for the oil level sensor plug should be 1-962581-2. You'll also need the boot (880811-2), sockets (962842-1), and seals (828904-2). You can buy it from mouser or digikey. Also, you can ask for a sample and they may send you one for free...
Leave a comment:
-
CoPilot didnt totally follow my instructions, but may have done enough to convince me to do it hahaLeave a comment:
-
For the reservoir pigtail you should be able to chop that from a z3 or e34 in a yard. Bmw still sells the pedal bushings or at least they did 2 years ago when I did mine.👍 2Leave a comment:
-
looks like the entire lead coming from the oil level sender is gone lol
😂 1Leave a comment:
-
I took Friday off to join my buddy on a final drive up to Newcombs before he moved to Scottsdale, but he wasnt packed up and ready to go and thus wasnt able to join on the drive. I had a lot of fun going solo doing the slow-car-fast things.
Picture below is who I was chasing, the sh!tbox stripped out Civic on the way up, and the Black 458 on the way down. Tough to say who was more fun to follow haha... Ferrari certainly sounded better.

As usual, one pic for my winner of the day. Spoke to the owner (or perhaps the financee lol) and he was pretty cool. Not the typical douche you'd expect, mentioned he sold his E36 M3 as a down payment on a Lambo. He's from Miami, give him a break lol

This was cool too, but .... I dunno...

Had to take this pic mostly because of the GOOMAR plate. Felt right as wifey & I are re-watching Sopranos.

After returning home, my plan was to work on the Elan but I'm a bit stuck on a few items which Im hoping to get done soon... but I ended up working on the E30. Started with taking the door panel off to lubricate the window rails and see why the front part cliks and seems to drop forward at time.

Rear has the bolts and everything clamped together:
Front seems to either be broken, or is missing the lower half. Anyone know?

Moving on from this, I wanted to try and tackle the engine bay wiring tasks. I figured I could start with what seemed to be an easy test. The Coolant Reservoir light. max.rodriguezzz helped identify what it should be, so I wanted to run a pair or wires from the pass side to the connector on the late-model reservoid to see if it was correct.
[/url]
ith those wires run, it looks like success! One step closer, just need to make a 'final' version.

Asking around, Bobby sent me a link to Classic Daily which is perfect except it ends up being like $50 for a connector... Am I crazy for thinking thats a lot for a 3D printed piece? I spent $120 on the brake ducts & Brackets for the Cowcatcher which is a LOT more plastic than this... this is like $2 maybe, but I get the whole 'pay for the design work' thing but still...
Thank you, wish it was a little easier to fish into that hole... I dont have gigantic hands and it was still quite difficult. Will try again later...
This guy hiding down there? Need to find the male side of this...

Yes, it looks that way... I wonder if BMW still sells them.
TLDR: She is still a POS, but having a lot of fun and slowly giving it more love
🥰 1Leave a comment:
-
looks like you might be missing one of the gas pedal bushings in your pic above
👍 1Leave a comment:
-
Those 3 pin connectors coming off the oil level to the harness fall apart, I bought a male and female vw connector and switched to that
that plug sits right around the back of the alternator👍 1Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: