Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Meat-flange - an Australian story that doesn't involve Nicole Fucking Kidman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I remember I will should be there throwing spanners in good time!

But back to diffs, most BMW LSD's are clutch plate ones...the viscous and torsen ones are fairly rare and model specific options (viscous for iX models and torsen in some Z cars).

That and I do know that you can get Kaaz 1.5 way centres for at least the medium and small case diffs not sure on the large case though.

The 210mm centre came in LSD form in Euro-spec E28 M5's, most of the later model E24 M6/M635CSi variants have them and they were also available in the E36 M3 Evo as mentioned.

I'm not sure if the E46 M3 diffs were clutch plate LSD's or if they were using the ABS junk by then and the 210mm is also available in 750iL's and similar spec cars. The only concern with the large case is ratios. My dad has a 3.91 in his M6 which is apparently a very rare automatic ratio and all the later model stuff are low ratios (2.93, 3.15, 3.45, maybe 3.25 and 3.73).

hahaha red panda killing fibreglass flares. stupid RTA
    - Chris
    Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

The E30 med case LSDs are even more expensive, what with the BMW racing series we have going now.

Not running yet. Distractions keep popping up like fishing, babies etc. Could probably start a thread I guess. Let all the amateur engineers pick it to pieces ha.
      sigpic

Comment

noobs and double posts ect
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dirtysix View Post
          The E30 med case LSDs are even more expensive, what with the BMW racing series we have going now.

Not running yet. Distractions keep popping up like fishing, babies etc. Could probably start a thread I guess. Let all the amateur engineers pick it to pieces ha.
          Your diff prices are proabbly on par with ours then. Before the GFC got in full swing a tidy grand use to be the going rate for a nice short ratio medium case diff with LSD and not neccessarily in good coniditon either.

I have about 6 kicking around at the moment I imported from the states and I'm going to struggle to break even I recon :down:

As far as I'm concerned (i dont even have my piece of paper with engineer stamped on it). You have one of the best executed swaps I have seen and it is probably only second to that guy in the UK with a Morris Minor shell on a 180sx chassis.
          - Chris

Comment

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
            If I remember I will should be there throwing spanners in good time!

But back to diffs, most BMW LSD's are clutch plate ones...the viscous and torsen ones are fairly rare and model specific options (viscous for iX models and torsen in some Z cars).

That and I do know that you can get Kaaz 1.5 way centres for at least the medium and small case diffs not sure on the large case though.

The 210mm centre came in LSD form in Euro-spec E28 M5's, most of the later model E24 M6/M635CSi variants have them and they were also available in the E36 M3 Evo as mentioned.

I'm not sure if the E46 M3 diffs were clutch plate LSD's or if they were using the ABS junk by then and the 210mm is also available in 750iL's and similar spec cars. The only concern with the large case is ratios. My dad has a 3.91 in his M6 which is apparently a very rare automatic ratio and all the later model stuff are low ratios (2.93, 3.15, 3.45, maybe 3.25 and 3.73).

hahaha red panda killing fibreglass flares. stupid RTA
            Sweet, no stress if you can't make it.

I remember the 3.9 was rare like a chicken with lips from back when I had my 325i. You reckon 500rwhp is too much for the med. case diff? I'm going to have to suck up and buy an S15 Silvia diff and shafts I know are for sale and weigh them to see the weight difference between Nissan and BMW bits. I think fitting the BMW diff and the Nissan diff will involve roughly the same amount of challenges - just means I've got to look at all the other problems!

I think I'm going to need to either seriously look into a Tremec 5-speed TKO box or going a lot higher with the diff gears. With the spread of power on offer I don't see how I'd get any use out of a wide-ratio 6-speed like the T56 with anything shorter than a 4.1 or 4.4 final drive. And then that will probably mean I never use first gear. A wide-ratio 5-speed with a shorter final drive should mean I can get more use out of that V8 grunt and save a bit of weight, too. Dunno how it'll affect weight balance though.

It's these kinds of headfucks that kill me, even before I get started fitting the fucking gearbox or paying for the fucking thing! No wonder I drink like a thirsty camel! Shitballs - shit all over my fucking balls.

Originally posted by dirtysix View Post

Please do. I reckon there'd be some mighty interested people on here...
            Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

So I'm gathering your more and more going the way of swinging an M52?
              - Chris

Comment

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
                So I'm gathering your more and more going the way of swinging an M52?
                Maybe... :)

Pork Hunt Motorsport

Comment

maybe, maybe not? hey may or may not be going to wakefield next weekend. i.e. may or may not be free for cruise and beers? ill let you know mid week but pos throw it down on the board for something to do (/ going to thread now and posting same shit)

Ohh and the M52? fuck yes, is this the good one to trial run boost on or the buggered unit suitable for sleeving and mahoosive boost?
                  - Chris

Comment

Saturday or Sunday? Can't do Saturday, but if you're around on the Sunday feel free to call in and drink beer.

This is the buggered one, but which is in better condition that initially thought. It'll get pulled down, rebuilt (as an NA for rego) and I'll build a boost-capable monster short motor over 12-18months while I enjoy driving a registered, fun and functional 24v E30.

This was the original BMW oil from new as the car NEVER had its oil changed in 15 years and 100,000km. I think a pack of racist badgers owned the car this motor came from. Why? 'Cause those fuckin' bigoted badgers think oil changes are something the Germans do in their kinky sex parlours.

This looks ok. What the fuck is that drunken Aussie waffleswaffleswaffleswaffles parping on about?!

Oh... By the beard of Zeus!

For my $600, I got the M52B28, a spare head (from Tubby17s), and Mats gave me the original intake manifold (for clearancing) and a 320 wiring loom which I'll cut down to suit my soon-to-be-non-Vanos-motor.

The skank with her rear shocks hanging down like a pair of piss flaps on an 80 year-old whore.

PS: my mate bought a really fucking nice 325iS for $AUD5k. Porpoise waffleswaffleswaffleswaffles.

Last edited by Iain; 03-15-2010, 10:51 PM.
                    Pork Hunt Motorsport

Comment

your mate = farkin karnt

those racist badgers made me lulz

either day suits
                      - Chris

Comment

I read that as "either day, sluts", which wouldn't be such a bad thing...

Benski has 2 maserati biturbos too. One he is selling (stocker) the other is his labour of love- 5 years of blood sweat and tiger vaginal secretion. It is a nice thing though.
                        Pork Hunt Motorsport

Comment

Hey Iain.

Comment

Sup
                            Pork Hunt Motorsport

Comment

sup

Comment

Show me your busted footy
                                Pork Hunt Motorsport

Comment

Working...
                                X