No announcement yet.

e30guydownunder: Project M42, probs definitely got more power than your S50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes are mounted in the car, I have plumbed them up, but haven't filled with fluid and bleed them yet as I have been mucho busy focusing on other shit, like tidying up the yard :(

But anyway I have been doing other stuff since the brakes.

I got out all my shit to do a bit of a stock take and get a plan. Not shown is the radiator as there has been a change of plans. The Landcruiser copper radiator will be no more. An Alloy Nissan S14 radiator of biggest possible size (to fit in the hole) is coming. It has the outlets in roughly the right spot so should be able to make it work without too much drama, just some new mounts and a fan and we'll be done.

Probably other little shit, but this basically what I am putting into my Turbo M42 project. About 5K on my driveway and there are alot of freebies in there too (like the manifold and dump pipe)!

Spent a good 4-5 hours stuffing around getting the pieces for the sump finallised. Then we got it all tacked up for the final time!

Brother has some new found TIG skills and with our recently acquired bottle of Argon the TIG has been working overtime. Welding of the sump is about 50% complete.

I'm hoping to get stuck into the intake modifications tomorrow and can potentially get that bowled over (minus welding). Also hoping too look at mounting the sway bar out front but I have a 21st to attend so we shall see. And that will probably be where progress stops before I go back to work next week :( Shit will still be happening. We are in full swing now!
    - Chris
    Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

double post king
      Last edited by e30guydownunder; 01-07-2011, 04:15 PM.
      - Chris

Comment

Double post king ha.

Shit looks like it's coming together well.
        A mate had a 318is turbo and that thing was a giggle to drive. The look on CSL drivers face's as you passed them on the track was priceless.
        sigpic

Comment

I'll need more turbo for it to be an absolute blast past old mates CSL spec, but was doing some research last night and you can get china spec GT2871's for $350!

anywhere north of 150kW at the wheels and I will be happy for a while anyway. Subaru Wagon is a beast and it has 400kg's on the E30
          - Chris

Comment

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
            I'll need more turbo for it to be an absolute blast past old mates CSL spec, but was doing some research last night and you can get china spec GT2871's for $350!

anywhere north of 150kW at the wheels and I will be happy for a while anyway. Subaru Wagon is a beast and it has 400kg's on the E30
            Should do what I'm doing man, I got put into Master Power which seem to have some really good reviews over in the US. $830 for a turbo comparible in size to a 3071 with a years worth of warrenty. Also get run on a few track cars up here and seem to go good. A lot better than a china spec turbo anyway :P

Turbo M42 Build thread:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=169672

Comment

I wouldn't risk an engine for a $300 turbo, but just saying thats whats out there. Master Power turbo's are a great option also. The T53? That's what I would be picking.
              - Chris

Comment

I wouldn't risk an engine for a $300 turbo, but just saying thats whats out there. Master Power turbo's are a great option also. The T53? That's what I would be picking.
                Yeah, thats the turbo I'm picking along with a 38mm tial gate. Its got a years warrenty so plenty of time to see if they are any good if not its easy enough to change to a Garret or HKS at a later date.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

The turbo is fine, whether its big enough or responsive enough is the key :D

I will need to change the flange on my mani and add an external gate, thats if the 2560 doesn't satisfy me and i dont find a 2871 cheap.
                  - Chris

Comment

The turbo is fine, whether its big enough or responsive enough is the key :D

I will need to change the flange on my mani and add an external gate, thats if the 2560 doesn't satisfy me and i dont find a 2871 cheap.
                    Yeah, when I got put onto the master power the same company also does custom manifolds with 3 years warrenty on the whole lot ect.. Also ends up being a bit cheaper than a 666 by the time you include shipping on a 666 & removes the worries of it possibly not fitting. The same company can also sort out full exhaust system, turbo, wastegate ect.. All in a package deal and bring down the price a bit :) And the workshop is only about 10 minutes from my house so things should work out okay. Good to see your getting some work done on yours! I'm hoping that my coilovers turn up next week so I can get to work next weekend :)

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

sounds like a good deal for you!

yeh, got the inlet pipe dummied up today, cut the flange off the e36 inlet at the right angle (45 and down) to point at the intercooler. Got the new flange dummied up for the M30 throttle body. just gotta put some holes in it and stick it all together (getting a professional to do this, alloy welding is not our forte)
                      - Chris

Comment

Well I still haven't bleed the brakes! But I have got all the parts on the inlet dummied up. Just waiting for the correct silicon joiner before welding it all together. Also made up a TPS mount for the new TPS on the M30 throttle.

I have also started to modify the fuel rail. Normally the fuel reg pipe goes down the inside (ghey) so I have removed the fuel reg and will be welding on fittings either end for the supply / returns and then running a different fuel reg (probably a Subaru one as I have heaps of them :crazy )

I got out my spare E30 alternator mount and looks like this is going to work better than the E36 one. Because of the way I made the take-off plate for the oil system I need to space it off the block, but this won't be a big deal :) So thats nutted out. And as I mentioned got an idea sorted for the swaybar. That leaves mounting the new radiator (when it comes), mounting and plumbing up the accusump and the electrics.
                        - Chris

Comment

MOAR double post, God damn
                          Last edited by e30guydownunder; 01-09-2011, 05:15 PM.
                          - Chris

Comment

Pistons are in the mail! Picking up the new clutch plate for my 240mm clutch kit today also.
                            - Chris

Comment

Good to see your getting some work done. Your pistons will probably arrive to you sooner than my stuff which was shipped over a week ago. Damn flood waters up here, I'm now not expecting anything to arrive for at least 2 weeks.

Turbo M42 Build thread:

Comment

ah shit! how you coping man? no problems I hope! Best Wishes to everyone up there and stay safe!

My new radiator rocked up today. Nissan S14. Fits perfectly! About as big as you would be able to fit without modifying the chassis rails. Top hose works perfectly also! Now to make some mounts and get the bottom hose / water pump happening.
                                - Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X