No announcement yet.

e30guydownunder: Project M42, probs definitely got more power than your S50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About 6 weeks ago now I got jack of BMW parts prices. Every single engine component was just costing MORE money. Pistons, bolts, gaskets. It all costs just that little bit more (some cases ALOT more) and I felt I was wandering the untravelled path.

So time to do a 180! I went yet another less travelled path but not really. I bought an SR20DET!

Let the pictures flow!

The humble M42. It now lies in my driveway taking up valueable space!

We spent the first week since SR20 purchase getting ready for the engines arrival (it was over 1000kms away) with tedious tasks like seam welding the front end and painting the engine bay (after all the welding).

I also had to do some rust repairs to the jacking points:

And then more painting:

Oh what a large drivetrain you have there in your E30:

This SR20 came attached to a Z32 300ZX gearbox. A common conversion over here for SR's making some power :)

I then began the huge task of making everything fit and work! First up mounting the engine/gearbag. This was a task completed within 24hrs of SR20 ownership :) Picked it up Friday arvo and had it sitting in theree on mounts by Saty evening. hmmm things are going well!

It's a bit blurry how everything else progressed I was working 9hrs or so at work then coming home and working on the car for 5/6 hrs there so it's all a blur.

Got Coolers?

Before the exhaust mani was modified:

Intercooler mounted

Cold pipe

Dump pipe

New shifter location

Heater and turbo water cooling delete

We modified the position of the wastegate and then made up a screamer pipe :)

All in all was 5 weeks of flat out activity. Here we are the car going to the dyno Thursday Morning. I was expecting to bring it home after work and then go about fitting Mtech spoiler, all the front panels, tidying the insides up further etc etc. There was paint to be laid ont he spoiler too! All so that we could go to a trackday that Friday!

On the Dyno:

But alas it was not to be. With less than an hours runtime and not even a proper power run a puff of smoke out the catchcan. "Hmm thats odd" they shut it down checked it all out. Everything seemed ok. Continued getting ready for the good stuff, lets make some power. Start her up and "knock knock knock" the little man in there with the hammer said hello and he sure got angry with a little rev.

Tuning over, hopes of trackday over. It seems the car fought me the whole way and WON, I was sure I had it beat but a dead engine is a dead engine.

I've been bumming round the last week or so kicking my bottom lip abusing the bottle a lil, scratching my head wondering what to do. The M42 has crossed my mind a few times since. But nope, I'm sticking to my guns and Friday just gone this landing in my driveway:

Yes my friends a standard Nissan S13...well almost. It had a forged bottom end, just about HKS everything up top and a FUCKING HUGE turbo. Yes standard brakes and suspension! LOL.

It's ok I'm not abandoning the BMW stable completely! The car was off the trailer for a grand total of 15 minutes I think. We undid everything on the trailer pushed it off, jerked the motor out then put it straight back on the trailer!

So that was Saturday morning :)

We then spent 1.5 days cleaning and checking the thing over! It sure is difficult doing things quickly and meticulously. Not that the first engine was neglected, it was bought in good faith but I believe it was damaged before I purcahsed it. Any case that is now a distant memory.

forward march with the new contraption.

So it has:
    Arias forged pistons
    Eagle rods w/ ARP2000 Bolts
    Balanced
    New oil pump
    Ported and Polished head (only minor work)
    HKS stage 2 272 exhaust cam , and 264 intake cam
    HKS Valve Springs
    HKS Rocker Arm Stoppers
    new timing chain
    all new gasket incl Metal head gasket with Cap screws holding it down :)

I'm going to throw some adjustable gears at it to dial the cams in sweet and there is also a large capacity sump.

One thing that struck us as odd was how the Z32 conversion had been carried out. There were only 4 bolts holding the gearbox on! And non were across the bottom! Have since worked out this has stuff the twin plate clutch that it was fitted with. but in any case. We have taken the time and made provisions in the Sump for some extra bolts to come through the gearbox!

And now I am just waiting on the clutch shop to fix me up with a clutch. Then I can put the engine back in and get to work on the other jobs still left over from the first attempt (I haven't had the motivation to do them yet!)

But before I depart Some pics of how the whole install turned out. Rather neat I recon :)

All important Side pipe!

The office. alot of work to be done in here. There will be a lot less wiring on show :) As you can see the fusebox was relocated up under the dash : also
    Last edited by e30guydownunder; 08-10-2011, 04:34 AM.
    - Chris
    Project M42 - 255 @ 19 psi

Comment

Ohh so some other specs??

Well besides the new engine now.

Vipec V44 plugin ECU
      TD06-20G Turbo
      "Trust" copy SS manifold
      TiAL MVR 44mm Ext Gate.
      3" Exhaust custom made :)
      52mm S13 radiator
      GFB BFO BOV
      Nismo 740cc injectors
      SurgeTank setup w/ Bosch 044
      - Chris

Comment

Looking forward to track vids now goon
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by der affe
        first try a finger or 2, you need to have them suck on it first and get it nice and wet to help it slip in.

if she goes for that, astroglide up your pole, have her lay on her stomach and slip it in slowly and bury it to your balls and leave it there until she relaxes. once she is used to it slam that ass like a screen door.

Comment

FUUUUUU and your demands

I'm more interested in driving the thing and having it spool! I drove it from the shed to the trailer...then Dad took it to the dyno where it broke!
          - Chris

Comment

Pretty potent little motor ;) Always seem to hear they arent too torquey though, let me know how it goes!

Props for the quick work too man!

Lsx/t56 Swap progress |----------| .0000000005% - Well below poverty line.
            Getting purists panties in a knot since 2007. ;)
            E30 count = 6! :shock:

Comment

Cheers mate? I see you haven't updated your sig further! No major progress on your LS contraption?

I dunno...this thing has 2.5 times more torque than the M42 did :p When I get some proper power curves I will post them. But like at 3k same torque as M42 at 200ftlbs then 4k it has over 450ftlbs :) Gotta love boost!

I'm already working on a tyre solution. Not confident in the lil 205's :)
              - Chris

Comment

Originally posted by e30guydownunder View Post
                Cheers mate? I see you haven't updated your sig further! No major progress on your LS contraption?
                Not had the time or money! Started my own timber flooring business and been buying and selling some cars, hasnt left much time :( Rebuilt a 2jz-ge powered Hilux recently though, hammers along ok for a lux!
                Last edited by Firestorm; 08-10-2011, 05:37 AM.

Lsx/t56 Swap progress |----------| .0000000005% - Well below poverty line.
                Getting purists panties in a knot since 2007. ;)
                E30 count = 6! :shock:

Comment

What a great job!!! well done.

What engine mounts are those you used?
                  E30/ 318i m10, e30 m50 & E34/ 520i m50

Comment

Ahh a business. That will always do it! Goodluck though. Lux sounds interesting :)

I made the steel bits and the rubber engine mount as such is a generic whiteline engine mount. I had them on the shelf from ages ago....they don't do much for NVH, this thing rattles and vibrates like all hell now :)
                    - Chris

Comment

Good work keeping with it, Chris.

You'll have that thign at the track before you know it!
                      Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

replacement engine fitted. tomorrow hook it all up and fire that bitch up!
                        - Chris

Comment

replacement engine started :)
                          - Chris

Comment

the bmw gods are punishing me. turns out installing refreshed s13 clutch with z32 throw out is a no go...resulted in the s13 slave pushing the piston out! Was meant to get a Z32 one anyway so back to waiting for more parts!

good news is I now know that the gearbox can be removed from the engine with minimal fuss. Only took an hour.

Any sort of deadlines have been abolished. I will finish this thing when I finish it :(

The joblist:

- fit new slave
                            - reassemble the driveline
                            - regrease CV's with new boots and such
                            - paint inside the boot
                            - fit Mtech Spoiler
                            - tidy wiring massively
                            - TUNE
                            - Chris

Comment

Damn those BMW gods. Its not just bastards that have issues.

The BMW gods haven't been kind to my BMW to BMW relations lately.

Hey, are those thermos from down here? From central Vic? They look familiar.

Dont stress on time frames, its all worth it in the end :) And if it was easy everyone would be doing it ;)
                              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by der affe
                              first try a finger or 2, you need to have them suck on it first and get it nice and wet to help it slip in.

if she goes for that, astroglide up your pole, have her lay on her stomach and slip it in slowly and bury it to your balls and leave it there until she relaxes. once she is used to it slam that ass like a screen door.

Comment

Nope brother bought those and I pilfered them :)

The replacements I bought for him were from Harrison Park, NSW. But they are slightly different to the ones in the car :dontknow

They are a nice unit though.
                                - Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X