Kamotors E30-Turbo to ITB M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JCarp90 View Post
    Shit man is that a Capri Sun? You didn't tell me there would be Capri Sun.
    Packed 24 of the little guys, a/c broke in the battlewagon for a couple hours too. Pretty good stuff

Comment

sorry to hear about the axle bolts coming out,
      i wanted to share a trick that may help,
      i drilled all of my axle bolts to accept safety wire,

all drilled,

i dont have an installed photo but this one is from a fellow member on a porsche project where i got the idea from. photo credit LJ851

for one bolt to come loose it will tighten the bolt that the safety wire is attached too.

-
      Project
      Parts for Sale
      Feedback
      YouTube Channel

Comment

^Came here to suggest this and that picture looks really familiar.....:-D

I would recommend pretty thick safety wire, like .032 diameter. On a fastener that is highly stressed and fails spectacularly when loose, this is a great solution.
        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

The CV screws on the LEFT side of e30 is most happy to back out.
          They do this from stretch: especially if the differential has been changed a few times and
          bolts not replaced with new.

Your situation reminds me of our lemons e30 that could not afford new bolts because lemons.

Even with red loctite in about 4 hours of racing they would start backing out.

Bmw has a solution; it's smarter and better than reusing bolts that stretch:

If you want to avoid axle bolt issues t and don't have the time to drill a bunch of tiny holes in axle screws............Buy new e36 / e46 CV axle bolts. They have serrated washer faces that mechabucally prevents backing out if installed to proper torque.
          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post

If you want to avoid axle bolt issues t and don't have the time to drill a bunch of tiny holes in axle screws............Buy new e36 / e46 CV axle bolts. They have serrated washer faces that mechabucally prevents backing out if installed to proper torque.

That must be next level shit.

You can also use Nord-Lock washers and accomplish the same thing.

Wedge-locking security for bolted joints subjected to extreme vibration and dynamic loads
            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Interesting you say that the day after I had to re-tourque all the axle bolts on our chump e36, in preparation for this weekend's race. All 12 of them needed 1/8th turn or so.

Are you sure they are stretch bolts? They have "8.8" engraved on them, thought that was hardened? Either way, I keep a box of matching 12.9 bolts for when we rebuild rear suspensions.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                Interesting you say that the day after I had to re-tourque all the axle bolts on our chump e36, in preparation for this weekend's race. All 12 of them needed 1/8th turn or so.

Are you sure they are stretch bolts? They have "8.8" engraved on them, thought that was hardened? Either way, I keep a box of matching 12.9 bolts for when we rebuild rear suspensions.

The cycles of remove and replace diff = physically stretches out the bolts. Similar to how people with subarus shesr wheel studs when removing the wheel it just snaps.

None of these are TTY ; they just get tired.

Change the CV screws frequently; the e30 cv boot rebuild inner sets come with brand new screws.

The OEM e36 and e46 etorx type screws have a more advanced head design as well; its a good cost to peace of mind ratio for new ones.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                  That must be next level shit.

You can also use Nord-Lock washers and accomplish the same thing.

http://www.nord-lock.com/nord-lock/w.../introduction/
                  My shitty korean tablet has gr88888888 spelling

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Comment

I toss the screws that come in those boot kits. Most brands have triple square - that's why I keep the box of allen key bolts handy. Either way, a few dollars in hardware to prevent failures. We also make a habit of replacing the stover nuts on the drive shaft and guibo.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                      I toss the screws that come in those boot kits. Most brands have triple square - that's why I keep the box of allen key bolts handy. Either way, a few dollars in hardware to prevent failures. We also make a habit of replacing the stover nuts on the drive shaft and guibo.
                      SOME people love cheap communist China hardware and steel parts. I tossed them also.

for our race car I just ordered the e36 parts from bmw. Oem is spendy but works dead on every time perfect

Comment

The CV screws on the LEFT side of e30 is most happy to back out.
                        They do this from stretch: especially if the differential has been changed a few times and
                        bolts not replaced with new.

Your situation reminds me of our lemons e30 that could not afford new bolts because lemons.

Even with red loctite in about 4 hours of racing they would start backing out.

makes sense, this is the 5th time I've swapped diffd on my car, and the only time I've had an issue with bolts backing out. I'll be getting new hardware and looking into my options

7speedshop.com

Comment

here's a non cell phone pic from bimmerfest.
                          Last edited by kamotors; 05-20-2014, 01:50 PM.

7speedshop.com

Comment

I seen you leaving when I was going down the hill and you were going up(there was a cop on a bike by van) I wanted to see your car but I came too late. Maybe next time

Comment

Should space that back out a bit
                              sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                                I seen you leaving when I was going down the hill and you were going up(there was a cop on a bike by van) I wanted to see your car but I came too late. Maybe next time
                                Yeah I think I saw your car actually, I had to get back to Reno so I had to go.

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
                                Should space that back out a bit
                                function>form, rear needs to be that inset to get maximum upward travel so I can hit bumps. If I had like 850lb rear springs I could go out further.

7speedshop.com

Comment

Working...
                                X