• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bummer man sorry to see this. :(
    '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
      That's strange that emissions actually got worse, but I guess the cats could have been bad/damaged even at 60k. Leaning it out will make the biggest difference, but I don't know what kind of engine management you're running so I don't know how easy it'd be for you to do.
      Im running a TRM chip thats setup for a OBD1 M52 with S52 cams, M50 manifold, and lightweight flywheel. I just emailed them to see if theres something they can do with the tune to make it more CA-smog friendly. Ive heard they work with people so Im hoping they can help.

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
      Bummer man sorry to see this. :(
      This kind of shit happens, and I get bummed because I think I shouldve just built the M20 up instead. I wouldve still had to go through the BAR, but it wouldve been 80s emissions standards vs 90s.

I wont lie and say I havent thought about cutting my losses and selling it so that I can buy a pre75 Porsche, but when Im behind the wheel, that voice gets quieter

Anyone want to buy it?
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

has that cat passed smog with any other car recently?

are you sure your motor is running right?
        cars beep boop

Comment

R3ZN said he never had an issue with his car passing smog, but I think they were comparing his tailpipe emissions to what an M20 can spit out. just guessing though based off our conversations.

I have no reason to believe my car isnt running right, it runs like a champ tank after tank, mile after mile. I know I need to change the valvecover gasket, but Im just really frustrated right now because if I knew this car was going to be such a dirty bitch I wouldve just gone under the table with it years ago and now Im stuck in the system and have to get it done properly or sell it out of state.
          Simon
          Current Cars:

Comment

Interesting

I saw some bmw cats for an e36 328i on craigs awhile back ago, and the seller assured the buyer that the car would pass or your money back! Like you I was in the market for cats, and thought oem would be the way to go but the mechanic suggested otherwise.

Once this ordeal is over, it should be fine.

One more thing. Magflow cats have had a rep of not lasting too long. I am not an expert and am just going but what I read on the E36 sites. Perhaps they have improved but talk to your mechanic first. I am sure they have replaced a set and can tell you which ones to avoid. If you cant pass with a set of new cats then something is wrong. Is there a way to test the cats?

Javier
            Last edited by Javier h; 05-24-2016, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Ive also heard that the magnaflow dont last. My brother has gone through a few with his Euro 190e-16v. He has had a hell of a time passing smog too. The Walker cats have a 5 year warranty so Ive been leaning towards those lately as I think I would be covered for the next 2 smogs...
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                Im running a TRM chip thats setup for a OBD1 M52 with S52 cams, M50 manifold, and lightweight flywheel. I just emailed them to see if theres something they can do with the tune to make it more CA-smog friendly. Ive heard they work with people so Im hoping they can help.

This kind of shit happens, and I get bummed because I think I shouldve just built the M20 up instead. I wouldve still had to go through the BAR, but it wouldve been 80s emissions standards vs 90s.

I wont lie and say I havent thought about cutting my losses and selling it so that I can buy a pre75 Porsche, but when Im behind the wheel, that voice gets quieter

Anyone want to buy it?
                You need less ing advance and less fuel...

Check Us out on Facebook
                Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                Full Product Line Tuning
                OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                  You need less ing advance and less fuel...
                  Thats kinda what I asked them to do, though Im not an expert in tuning like you. The tests are done under a load and I think that the rpms never exceed 3000, so they could really "soften" the tune for the earlier rpms and then get wild once vanos kicks in yo
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

I don't like to say this, but dump a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the tank...I bet that would get you through smog. Done it on a couple old clunkers over the years and it's worked. YMMV, however.
                    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      Ive also heard that the magnaflow dont last. My brother has gone through a few with his Euro 190e-16v. He has had a hell of a time passing smog too. The Walker cats have a 5 year warranty so Ive been leaning towards those lately as I think I would be covered for the next 2 smogs...
                      I might have missed part of the thread, but here's my take.

Yes, Magnaflow cats die faster than OEM. However, you should be able to buy one and have it installed for under $300. Do that, and then drive straight from the exhaust shop to the BAR/SMOG station. I had to do that with my built 2.1L M42 while I was working some tuning stuff out. It passed the test with flying colors, and then 2 years later it was dead. That was mainly because the tune was way too rich, and rich running murders cats.

Also, find a tuner that can tune your ECU and just have custom maps made. This is more for after you pass SMOG. No two engines are the same, and you will get optimum power with a custom tune. Additionally, they might be able to tweak the part-throttle maps to improve emissions and fuel economy.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                        I don't like to say this, but dump a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the tank...I bet that would get you through smog. Done it on a couple old clunkers over the years and it's worked. YMMV, however.
                        I dont appreciate you calling my car a clunker:hitler:

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                        I might have missed part of the thread, but here's my take.

Yes, Magnaflow cats die faster than OEM. However, you should be able to buy one and have it installed for under $300. Do that, and then drive straight from the exhaust shop to the BAR/SMOG station. I had to do that with my built 2.1L M42 while I was working some tuning stuff out. It passed the test with flying colors, and then 2 years later it was dead. That was mainly because the tune was way too rich, and rich running murders cats.

Also, find a tuner that can tune your ECU and just have custom maps made. This is more for after you pass SMOG. No two engines are the same, and you will get optimum power with a custom tune. Additionally, they might be able to tweak the part-throttle maps to improve emissions and fuel economy.
                        Thats the thing, I have to make an appt with the referee weeks in advance, make arrangements at work to be late/ long lunch/ etc. Each time I've failed Ive spent a few hundred dollars before Ive come back and if you look closely, its gotten worse each time.

I literally swapped the cats on thursday, drove the car home and didnt drive it again until today. Im so frustrated with spending all this money on smog equipment. Its been one headache after another and nothing has given me a stupid sticker. Im really getting tired of this non-stop bullshit with the car, and I still havent had one track day with it and have only autocrossed it once. This isnt right.

I got a response from TRM saying, " The only thing we can adjust fuel wise that could be off will be cold start fuel and wide open throttle fuel. We can also vary ignition timing, vanos function, and a few other things." He said that at part throttle the o2 sensor tells the computer that its either rich or lean and it will adjust from there.

I bumped my feeler thread because Im pissed and Im not enjoying myself anymore. This too shall pass, but if someone flashes enough cash in my face this car will be gone before I come to my senses....
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Dont you dare

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                          '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                          Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                            Dont you dare

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                            Oh, I dare!... I dare someone to pay me what I ask. My experience says they won't.

Forgot I took this pic. Me and my nemesis, the smog machine.

Pretty cool looking car.
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

On the OBD2 midpipe, where did you put the O2?

Enough E36 guys have done the OBD1-2 swap and said that getting the proper O2 location is tricky, so I'd say scour m3forum E36 section.

I don't think your numbers are crazy bad, just willing to bet somewhere between the tuning and the O2 might be an issue. Is the O2 new?

If the cats were actually bad-bad when warm you'd be well into gross polluter range. Although, if you can find someone with another pipe that has proven to have passed emissions, try that?

I went to a local smog shop before my BAR apt and just asked to run a pre-test on the machine, and they were cool with it. I told them I was preparing for BAR, showed them my appointment info, and that I'd like to verify my cats worked, so we ran a full test in whatever mode they do that doesn't report to CA's computers. Worth a try, and will eliminate all this guesswork. Isolate a variable, test, and continue on.
                              Last edited by Bimmerman325i; 05-25-2016, 02:25 PM.
                              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                              95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Nemesiiiiiis!!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X