Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325ic Calypso Euro Conversion - Houndstooth & dbilas now, MT1 & MM 3.2 stroker coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@jeffnhiscars and I got $300 quotes from Jet-Hot to ceramic coat m20 headers. A lot higher than I've ever heard elsewhere - $200 or less.

Who do folks use? They coat inside and out correct?
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
      @jeffnhiscars and I got $300 quotes from Jet-Hot to ceramic coat m20 headers. A lot higher than I've ever heard elsewhere - $200 or less.

I member doing my e21 Alpina B6 2.8 jet hot coating 22 years ago for $120. I thought was a lot back then.
      Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

One of my customers just had his 24v headers, ceramic coated, for about $235 or so, local to us, in Portland.
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

That quote was for a chrome finish. They wanted $450 to do it in satin black.
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

yeah realized that after studying my car. not only that the motor mount isn't installed either lol. it's the same 325i oil filter mount just rotated, and it would never work in that position!

Gonna need a remote filter setup or a way to mount the filter vertically - I'm not giving up my AC. Here's my stock setup viewed from below - the cooler lines should clear based on the ebay photo.I've seen several vertically mounted oil filters on cars, but I wonder if there are potential issues.

For what it's worth, our endurance race car has never had an oil cooler. We just use the eta threaded adapter and mount the filter right to the block. Oil temps stay in check, even in the FL summer heat - albeit we do run LiquiMoly 10w60.

The filter housing can be rotated without issue (aside for the cooler hard line fitment), just have to grind the little nub off the back, it can be mounted any direction. One of the benefits of it pointing down is that the oil won't pour out of it during an oil change.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

^^^ well that's all I need to hear, thanks John. I'll def try aiming it down first, but your comments make eliminating the oil cooler a viable option too. Counterintuitive when you're increasing torque and hp 50%+ from stock.

Regarding the ceramic coat, I also saw a comment from @reelzimpro about Embree as a Jet Hot alternative?

@jeffnhiscars after my text to the Jet Hot sales guy about doing both sets at once but not paying list price.... crickets lol. You'd think they would have a holiday discount or something

@ForcedFirebird can you hook us up?

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
                One of my customers just had his 24v headers, ceramic coated, for about $235 or so, local to us, in Portland.
                Interesting.. that's really not much different than the $300 basic finish quote when you throw in shipping.

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3s54turbo View Post
                  I member doing my e21 Alpina B6 2.8 jet hot coating 22 years ago for $120. I thought was a lot back then.
                  yeah I've see a lot of sub $200 references in online searches, but they do tend to be older posts. with inflation your $120 is about $192. So yeah the $300 quote is high.

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
                  Interesting.. that's really not much different than the $300 basic finish quote when you throw in shipping.

Why do they charge $300 and refuse to negotiate price? Because they can obviously.

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

@jeffnhiscars found a much more reasonable local close to the shop that will be fitting his headers. $150 for Cerakote

Good info here - basically Cerakote uses local installers, JetHot does everything in house.

btw that $300 Jet Hot quote did not include shipping lol.

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Stroker and Tranny ready for pickup!

Well the folks at Metric Mechanic finished the 3.1 and G260 two months early.. thrilled since I can make it to The Vintage! Need to arrange transport but I’ll be dropping off cores and picking everything up directly from the shop. Will post pics when I have something

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

excellent!!!
                        '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

well.. I unfortunately have a lot going on.. The vintage radio repair business I started is really keeping me busy, and I'm starting a new day-gig out of town which means prepping home for sale and relocation.

So.. don't have time to get things buttoned up for Asheville, even though I have this waiting for me to pickup down in Charleston.

UPDATE: picked her up in Charleston and rode her to The Vintage, then all the way back to Illinois. 1000 miles, no issues!

So new plans are to get Callie ready for Gutenfest and trek out to Levent-land. I will have to put the paint and mtech1 plans off another year, but the mechanicals will be done. WOOT.
                          Last edited by bradnic; 07-13-2019, 01:53 PM.

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Been a very busy summer.. started a new gig in western New York, and using Callie as my daily driver. The timing worked out, so I was able to join Levent at GutenFest.

Still running the original M20, but I will finally be picking the Metric Mechanic 3.2 next month. Will be driving Callie back to Illinois and pulling the drive train there. I need to trade them in to avoid $1600 in core charges..

Should have her back on the road by late August. I may just initially drop the new drivetrain in with the stock exhaust and ECU. Hopefully I can get a tune from SSSquid to tide me over. That will give me more time to research Megasquirt and get the E34 RD headers modified and ceramic coated. I also still need to get the Mtech1 exhaust tips from Scott at Strömung.

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

MM3.2 FTW. Congrats and good luck!
                              Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                              BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Subscribed for the report on the MM3.2!

Comment

Working...
                                X