No announcement yet.

Back in Black (now with s50 and bags)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally home for fall break which means e30 time. Family time comes first though of course so I didn't get much done tonight.

First was open up all boxes I had laying around full of parts.

MAF and intake boot

Header gaskets and intake gasket

Guibo and CSB

M42 Radiator that I got from Clay on my way home.

m3 wire cover

Next up was to paint and clean all of the parts.

All cleaned up.

Painted

No need for AC anymore soooo it's gone.

Bolted in the new motor mounts. Ignore the green, the guy I bought them from painted them.

That's all for now. Tomorrow will be the day the engine finally finds its new home. Still have to bolt up the transmission and intall the brake booster and then it's drop in time! Stay tuned! :D
    Instagram: @dillonmakar

Build thread HERE

Comment

My engine mounts are green as well... exactly the same green. I think all E28 mounts are lol.

Comment

Originally posted by JCarp90 View Post
        My engine mounts are green as well... exactly the same green. I think all E28 mounts are lol.
        Really? That's odd, it's quite an ugly color and even the studs were painted.

Build thread HERE

Comment

Really frustrating night but I'll post an update.

First thing was to mate the transmission to it's new spouse.

Then I installed the headers and header gaskets

I went to install the starter and it didn't fit because of this little ridge so I grinded it down until it fit.

Next I reinstalled the brake booster and the brake pedal. The second picture shows how I had to modify the brake pedal to work with the booster moved 1/2 inch.

I was finally done installing everything and moment I had been waiting for finally arrived, it was time to drop in the engine. There were three of us there to do the job so clearing the engine into the bay was a breeze. Started to line up the arms to the mounts and we noticed a big problem..

They weren't even close to fitting...

It was quite obvious that one of the motor arms was wrong even though I had been told by the guy I bought the motor from that I had "everything I needed for the swap". Well for some reason he gave me an e39 passenger motor arm instead of an e36. I have no idea why but it's now going to work and I was quite pissed when I discovered this. :hitler:

Now I have to try and find an e36 passenger arm tomorrow so I can get this thing in there finally.

Build thread HERE

Comment

So quick question. the shifter arm plate is too far to the right to line up to the hole in the transmission tunnel, I couldn't find any info on that )just on how to modify the linkage 10 degrees) and I don't understand why you would leave it that way? so info on that would be much appreciated. here is a pick for reference of the shifter arm

Last edited by dillon7; 10-18-2013, 05:05 PM.

Build thread HERE

Comment

Well, the motor is in.

The guy that sold me the motor sent me the wrong motor arm so I went and bought one from someone local. Got home put the arm on and eventually got the motor in. It was a lot harder getting it to line up than I thought.

After I got the motor in the transmission was way off no matter what I did. Twisting it 10 degrees wasn't going to help so out came the whole motor again.

Twisted the linkage by heating it up and bending it.

The shifter arm was too far to the right and I wanted it to line up to the center so I slotted the holes and got it to move where I wanted it to go.

Transmission mount mounted up from Andrew. Great product, works perfectly, I highly recommend it.

While I was waiting on my motor arm I got my driveshaft ready. New CSB and guibo.

Old guibo

New guibo

CSB

Over all it was a frustrating weekend and I'm a lot further behind than I planned. I think I ended up attempting to put the motor in and pulling it about four times. That's the way it goes working on cars I suppose.

This site made everything a little better.

Build thread HERE

Comment

Been there, man. Except my problem was that one part that I forgot to order and I have to wait for parts from California/NJ to Kansas, or to try and fire it up and find that I had bad sensors and was chasing down codes, then to find that my cam timing was slightly off and blah blah blah. It's a fiasco lol. It will be worth it when it's done.

Knock off that fucking damper off your driveshaft. Most annoying piece of metal garbage. Also are you leaving in that ignition coil just for old time sake?

Comment

haha just haven't bothered removing the ignition coil yet. Just wanted to get everything running then start removing stuff.

Build thread HERE

Comment

Originally posted by dillon7 View Post
                    Really frustrating night but I'll post an update.

First thing was to mate the transmission to it's new spouse.

Then I installed the headers and header gaskets

I went to install the starter and it didn't fit because of this little ridge so I grinded it down until it fit.

Next I reinstalled the brake booster and the brake pedal. The second picture shows how I had to modify the brake pedal to work with the booster moved 1/2 inch.

I was finally done installing everything and moment I had been waiting for finally arrived, it was time to drop in the engine. There were three of us there to do the job so clearing the engine into the bay was a breeze. Started to line up the arms to the mounts and we noticed a big problem..

They weren't even close to fitting...

It was quite obvious that one of the motor arms was wrong even though I had been told by the guy I bought the motor from that I had "everything I needed for the swap". Well for some reason he gave me an e39 passenger motor arm instead of an e36. I have no idea why but it's now going to work and I was quite pissed when I discovered this. :hitler:

Now I have to try and find an e36 passenger arm tomorrow so I can get this thing in there finally.
                    I had to grind my block like this too to use that giant starter! What did you end up doing to put your trigger wire on it??? I just crimped a female on it and put it on the male post... but im afraid it could come off... interested in your solution

Comment

Originally posted by Rdreas View Post
                      I had to grind my block like this too to use that giant starter! What did you end up doing to put your trigger wire on it??? I just crimped a female on it and put it on the male post... but im afraid it could come off... interested in your solution
                      Haven't gotten that far yet, I'll be sure to post pics of what I'm going to do. I'm still trying to get all the info for the wiring together since I'm not very good at it and I want to be confident that I did it right.

So far I'm looking at this

If anybody has a better wiring info let know, I'll appreciate it greatly.

Build thread HERE

Comment

I had Friday night to work on the car so I tried to get it complete that night.

I didn't take many photos basically because it was just hooking things up like the power steering hoses, heater hoses, radiator and a bunch of ground wires and stuff.

I started off with wiring. I bought an adapter to make life much easier but I still had the grounds to work with and I couldn't find a lot of information but I used what I had and hopefully I hooked up all of them, if it doesn't start I think I know it will be a ground wire.

Anyways my wiring mess that I still need to clean up but it's all hooked up.

Next was the intake manifold. I got it on and it still rubbed the brake booster pretty bad so I pulled it back out and got to grinding away.

Picture before I cleaned it up

New fit

Next was the fuel rail and injectors etc. Got all that in and the fuel line hooked up.

I was so excited I was basically done. All I had left was throttle body, intake boot, maf, and the filter. Them fill her up with oil and coolant and I was good to go. I had forgotten about the throttle cable so I got that put in. Complete PITA to get that stupid clip in. I couldn't get it in but I was just ready to see if it fired up I left it alone for now. Went to put on the throttle body and of course I don't have the 4 bolts to put it on :hitler: looked around to see if I could find any random ones or anything off the old engine but I couldn't.

So basically 4 bolts are keeping me from getting her started up. I was pretty bummed out but oh well it happens.

Here is a pic on how far I got. It is a total mess and I still have a ton of stuff to clean up. Once I fire her up and make sure she runs then I will clean it all.

IT WILL RUN ON THE NEXT UPDATE! so stay posted

Build thread HERE

Comment

I have a ton of updates coming but I'll post everything once I get the car running.

I have four little problems keeping me from getting the car running and I'm kind of lost. I have some questions in this thread here http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=306341

If you guys could help me out that would be awesome

Build thread HERE

Comment

Fix it dillon. Shit.

Comment

Originally posted by JCarp90 View Post
                              Fix it dillon. Shit.
                              Got everything figured out then realized I'm missing the PCV and hoses running from it :hitler:

Time to go to the junk yard tomorrow and yet another day wasted.

Build thread HERE

Comment

I know on the last update, which was a long time ago, that I promised I would have the car running. Well as you can guess, it is not, but it is really close.

I haven't had much time to work so I haven't done very much but I'll give you guys some progress.

I decided to run the e30 318i radiator to clean up the bay a little. Mocked it up and cut the radiator hoses to fit which is a PITA.

Then I went to run the wiring harness through the firewall and no matter what I did it wouldn't fit through for some reason so I got out the air tool and cut away.

Got the throttle body on.

Then I kept hooking up heater lines and vacuum lines. I got everything hooked up except for two and got totally lost. I figured out I was missing the PCV and the hoses that go from it to the intake boot. So I have to order those.

I also have a hose from the lower part of the radiator and I have no idea where it goes. I was told it goes to the spider hose but I have no openings on the spider hose for another line. So I'm still trying to figure that out.

So that's where I am at now. I have to order the parts and figure out what to do with the radiator line.

Here are the pics that make it all worth it though.

oh and here is a little tease of what is coming

Build thread HERE

Comment

Working...
                                X