X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panici
    replied
    Originally posted by Northern View Post
    Not going to get into rego/insurance/the space they take up...
    That's the other part of it as well. I could deal with the cost and space issues if I was making good use of everything.
    Paying $100 a month on insurance (year round) for the Ducati to ride it once or twice a month in the summer? Those are expensive rides!

Leave a comment:

• Northern
    replied
    Yeah I also really feel the urge to simplify... My bikes are gone, but still have 4 cars. My e30 has probably gone two years without being touched, and the 4door longer. Between kid/house/work, there's just no time to do anything.

Hell, my mini went a year and even now that it's 'fixed', I don't really leave the house without wife and kid, so there's no opportunity to drive it. Not going to get into rego/insurance/the space they take up...

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    RE: BOLDED COMMENT: Its one of the reasons why as much as I want to grow the 'fleet' having 2 cars is acceptable. I cant/ dont want to drive the 996 during the week, and dont want to drive the TDi on the weekends, so both cars get used.

Id love to add a convertible for top-down SoCal cruising and maybe an off-roader as "#4", but I could also just modify wifeys Jeep GC for more dirt shenanigans, even though its only been in the dirt one time
    Having a big fleet wasn't an issue for me when I could spend 8hr days on the weekends wrenching.
    Left enough time to do restoration work in addition to maintenance.
    Unfortunately I'll never be at that level physically again.

But I am counting my blessings, because not only do I have my baby the E30, but also my realistic dream car the E36 M3.

Going to hold onto the Miata because the prices are insane now. Even with a blown engine and some body rust, it's still worth double what I paid back in 2019. 😵‍💫
    May need to figure out some custom soft coilovers to make the ride bearable.

I could see myself selling the TJ, if I find something else for light towing and general use. Considering an early 1990s panther chassis, but not actively looking.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by Panici View Post

Can't believe I haven't had the E30 out all year. Health and other projects got in the way this season.

First pictures outside with the full set of wheel spacers and the new Startecs, and probably the last photos of the E30 with this ancient iPhone 8. Going to upgrade to something newer over the winter.

E30 looks fantastic!

RE: BOLDED COMMENT: Its one of the reasons why as much as I want to grow the 'fleet' having 2 cars is acceptable. I cant/ dont want to drive the 996 during the week, and dont want to drive the TDi on the weekends, so both cars get used.

Id love to add a convertible for top-down SoCal cruising and maybe an off-roader as "#4", but I could also just modify wifeys Jeep GC for more dirt shenanigans, even though its only been in the dirt one time

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied
    Sitrep Fall 2024

Fleet Update:
    Miata's engine finally let go after 2+ years of boost. Top end sounds like a diesel and oil pressure is low.
    I decided to sell the E28 as I haven't made progress on the restoration. It went to a father and son who have plans to make it into a driver quality car.
    Ducati is for sale, and I have a buyer who left a deposit last weekend. Can't ride two motorcycles at the same time, and surprisingly insurance was more for the Monster then for my R6.

-------------------------

Can't believe I haven't had the E30 out all year. Health and other projects got in the way this season.
    Decided to take it out at least once to knock the dust off (literally) and get some fresh gas in there.

New larger diameter clutch slave cyl made a small improvement to the bite point, shifts feel smoother.
    But it's still VERY touchy when you're starting off from a stop. It's just nature of the beast with a heavy pressure plate and lightweight flywheel.

Now that I'm used to the long shift throw in the E36 M3, I think I will lengthen the throw a little on the E30, as I do get the shifter binding between gates occasionally (especially when the transmission is cold).

​Still have that front end vibration. New tires sitting in the basement for the spring, and then will look at front brakes next.

Have to review the datalog to check AFRs, I noticed a little smoke at WOT and I can't remember if that happened before. I did originally tune the car on 91 octane E0 fuel, which is sadly no longer available in my area. I now run 93 octane which is estimated to be E10, adding in Stabil Marine 360.

Engine ran great, think I saw 7psi at one point.
    I was tempted to turn up the boost with that new manual boost controller, but decided to leave that for another day.

First pictures outside with the full set of wheel spacers and the new Startecs, and probably the last photos of the E30 with this ancient iPhone 8. Going to upgrade to something newer over the winter.

-

Last edited by Panici; 09-23-2024, 08:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied
    Originally posted by 808ETA View Post
    Love your car and the write up! I'm going to do the X3 Booster soon. On my e83 booster it looks like the rod inside the booster is shorter than the e30 one, did you have that issue or does it still work?
    Thank you!

You removed the extra "spacer" piece from the back of your booster like pictured above?
    I ended up cutting and welding my rod to shorten it after I removed this spacer.

I initially modified the pin attachment point width when I first swapped the engine, but didn't shorten the rod at that time.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	49906562506_bb76136eee_b.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	10123968

Leave a comment:

• 808ETA
    replied
    The other small project was shortening the rod for the X3 brake booster. I removed the silver plate from the back of the booster, so it should fit a bit nicer in the engine bay.
    I didn't know this was removable when I installed the booster originally, as then I wouldn't have had to slot the mounting holes on the firewall. No matter, I made some patch pieces for the slotted holes and welded them up (X3 booster has only two mounting studs).

I shortened the rod on the booster a little extra to lower the brake pedal, which should make heel-toe downshifting easier.
    Don't mind the blob of weld, I didn't bother cleaning it up (I had the wire speed a bit high). Worry not, the 240v welder was cranked up to full power and there was plenty of penetration

Love your car and the write up! I'm going to do the X3 Booster soon. On my e83 booster it looks like the rod inside the booster is shorter than the e30 one, did you have that issue or does it still work?

Last edited by Panici; 07-22-2024, 07:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• raymang
    replied
    Startecs from the new run actually don’t look bad! Any issues only noticeable in-person?

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied
    Spring 2024 Prep - Part 1

Fleet Update:
    Happy to report I finished the fuel tank swap on the Miata over the winter, which is now back on the road for the season. It was extremely stressful working beside the freshly painted E30. Actually considering a four-post lift just to get the E30 up and out of the way when working on other cars.
    Did a full fuel system refresh on the Ducati, and replaced the front brake master cyl.
    E36 M3 is on the road now as well.

-------------------------

Finally some space and time to work on the E30.

Started by fabricating a custom support bar for the front valance and airdam. Things are pretty tight under there with the big front mount intercooler. Used a bit of scrap steel and part of a motorcycle handlebar, with a rivnut into the rad support.

Swapped out the clutch slave with the larger 23mm unit. Bench bled this with the slave out of the trans. Pedal feels okay but haven't driven the car yet to test.
    Finally reinstalled the 5mm front wheel spacers while the front end was in the air.
    Edit: Later installed the 20mm rear wheel spacers as well (not pictured in the photos of this post)

Pushed the easy button and reluctantly shelled out the cash for a set of the new-run Startec taillights, after they came up for sale locally. Have the parts on-hand to make another DIY set, but haven't made the time to do it.

Good comparison shot on the ground: stock top left, stock with spray tint bottom left, DIY Startec top right, new-run Startec bottom right.
    They are darker then the vintage startec lights, but perhaps 30+ years of UV makes all the originals lighter.

Car is also SO DUSTY sitting since the fall, so just try to ignore that for the time being until the hose is set up for the spring. Have been ordering new car wash supplies to properly care for the Ceramic Coat as well.

Last edited by Panici; 07-18-2024, 11:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied
    December 2023 Sitrep

Managed to squeeze way too much into the garage for the winter season. Two cars, three motorcycles, and two spare engines.
    Just enough room to walk sideways between the two cars.

I finally got the larger clutch slave cyl in the mail this week, had to order from schmiedmann. Would have been expensive either way.
    The local BMW dealer wanted proof of ownership for an E39 M5 RHD to order the 21522282056 slave.
    Excited that this should give me a better clutch pedal then the on/off that I've had for the past two years.

Also, got my hands on some interior bits like the front tweeters, seatbelt bolt cover, and door handle trim from a local gent.

Other jobs on the E30 To-Do list:
    • Move wideband grounds & 0.1uF 50v ceramic cap between wideband signal wire & ground (close to ECU)
    • Verify EVAP purge valve operation RPM<4000 and TPS<1
    • BOV spring to be properly sized.
    • Intake manifold removed, additional vacuum/boost sources to be installed, various tee's removed.
    • Doors:
      • Tighten key lock (Driver's side)
      • Replace vapor barrier
      • Sound deadening
      • Tweeter install
    • Radio install under dash?
    • Move exhaust hanger from rear subframe (necessary?)
    • Finish front airdam support fabrication
    • Install front airdam foglight delete panels
    • Remove turbo and trim corner for clearance to wheel well.
    • Install replacement sunroof motor
    • Change fuel rail fittings on front, install longer hose for strain relief to FPR.

But first, Miata needs a gas tank, and you have to drop the rear subframe to get it down. Might as well refresh while I'm there.
    Still waiting on surgery, so I'm going to try a slow & steady approach all winter long and test my luck.

In other news (you may have seen on my other thread) I finally bought one of my realistic dream cars!
    1999 E36 M3
    It's in decent shape, but obviously isn't perfect.
    Not sure how far from stock I want to go with this one, but that's To Be Continued in the spring time.

Last edited by Panici; 12-06-2023, 06:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied
    Originally posted by econti View Post
    Got two, first is a '94 600ss that I did a resto on, currently halfway through an injected Monster 900 swap. Other is a '93 build 888 superbike. It's a bit ratty now after being stolen and recovered, but fast as shit for its age. Once the little bike is finished I'll pull the big one apart. I find they are a very good companion for an E30, simple and easy to work on but very fun and devastatingly fast in the right hands (not that mine are)
    To me the 90s Ducati is an acquired taste visually. Squared off headlights give them a unique shape IMO. The more I see them, the more I like them.

Even my FI Monster feels very raw by modern standards, which is exactly what I like about old cars & bikes.
    The torque of the big V-Twin feels opposite to my revvy R6 engine.

I can imagine the older carbed bikes have even more character!
    Last edited by Panici; 12-06-2023, 04:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• econti
    replied
    Haha yep. 2000 Monster 900ie.
    What is your Ducati?

Rode mine for just under 1000km since buying early august. I put new timing belts on and had some new tires mounted.

It's actually all taken apart as of last weekend for a fuel system refresh. 😂
    Suspect leaking fuel injectors, as oil level is going up magically. Also making the garage stink like gas.
    Got two, first is a '94 600ss that I did a resto on, currently halfway through an injected Monster 900 swap. Other is a '93 build 888 superbike. It's a bit ratty now after being stolen and recovered, but fast as shit for its age. Once the little bike is finished I'll pull the big one apart. I find they are a very good companion for an E30, simple and easy to work on but very fun and devastatingly fast in the right hands (not that mine are)

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied
    Originally posted by econti View Post
    A fellow Ducati owner. My condolences. 900?
    Haha yep. 2000 Monster 900ie.
    What is your Ducati?

Rode mine for just under 1000km since buying early august. I put new timing belts on and had some new tires mounted.

It's actually all taken apart as of last weekend for a fuel system refresh. 😂
    Suspect leaking fuel injectors, as oil level is going up magically. Also making the garage stink like gas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20231022_170947606_iOS.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	10106952

Click image for larger version  Name:	20231022_171031743_iOS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	274.6 KB ID:	10106953

Leave a comment:

• econti
    replied
    A fellow Ducati owner. My condolences. 900?

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied
    No updates since last post.
    More pictures, some with AI processing.

Last edited by Panici; 12-13-2023, 12:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X