Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNAFU; high performance 318is build that lives up to the name, Turbo M42 ➞ Turbo M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking crazy and awesome. You have to love being in school

Comment

I like how you went balls deep from the get-go on this build. coming together nicely
      Build Threads:
      Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Resurrector27 View Post
        Looking crazy and awesome. You have to love being in school
        Thanks. Being in school sucks though. I have less free time than people who just work and a lot less money. Can't wait to be done with it.

Originally posted by Julien View Post
        I like how you went balls deep from the get-go on this build. coming together nicely
        Thanks! That was no accident, I bought this car with the specific intention of turbocharging it and making it into a fast, fun DD.

Forgot about this before. I upgraded my fuel pump at the beginning of October. It just wouldn't start in my driveway one day (excellent luck) and I wasn't getting any fuel. I pulled the fuel pump assembly out and immediately the problem was clear; the solder joint where the wiring for the pump meets the terminals was broken, the pump was still good. I had already overnighted a Deatschwerks fuel pump though, so I installed it.

As you can see, it's pretty much a drop in replacement for a stock fuel pump. I like these Deatschwerks pumps, they have a much better warranty than Walbro and are reasonably priced. This one is rated at 255lph@40psi, way more fuel than I'll ever need. They are pretty quiet though, so no cool race car noises.

After I did this upgrade, I had a feeling I might need to re-tune a little bit because I figured I was pushing the limits of the stock pump, and I was right. I had to decrease the values in my fuel table by around 8% at max boost, showing that I was definitely encountering a lack of flow which was making longer injector pulsewidths necessary.

IG @turbovarg
        '91 318is, M20 turbo
        [CoTM: 4-18]
        '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
        - updated 1-26

Comment

I was just looking at that pump, thanks for putting up a couple pictures.

Is the pickup sock connection the same as on the Walbro pump?
          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I'm not sure. Looks to be around the same size to me, but I don't have them side by side and can't measure mine.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            - updated 1-26

Comment

Any new updates on this car?

I usually don't care for m42 cars but for some reason I like that you move fast when you do stuff to your car.

Comment

Why thank you, and as a matter of fact, yes. Quite a bit.

I re-fitted my exhaust and changed the muffler hangers, increasing ground clearance and eliminating an annoying rattle.

Sorry, no "after" just this before pic. The angled, staggered hangers are gone and I cut the big muffler off and re-welded it.

I painted my door trim, making the car the trim surrounds look worse in comparison.

I took some more pictures.

I took my garbage to the drag strip and put some numbers to my work for the first time.

Unfortunately I couldn't get it to hook and my best ET was 13.846. My best trap speed of 103.06mph pretty much confirms my estimate of around 250whp. Next time I'll grab a cheap portable air compressor before I hit the strip so I can air down and get some better traction instead of drag racing with 30psi in my tires like an idiot :fishslap:, oh, and I'm planning on installing launch control in my Megasquirt.

I also did a couple of things I don't have pics of. I installed a subwoofer in the trunk, not for big thump, but because I was sick of having no lows at all, replaced my clutch line with a fancy braided stainless one and did a turbo re-build. And yesterday my sunroof decided being leak free was so 2015 and dumped water on my laptop as I took a turn.

On my list of things to do soon is an E46 steering rack swap to complete the package of handling mods, sanding and painting the rusty sunroof panel, and maybe a bigger turbo.
                Last edited by varg; 01-28-2016, 05:42 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                - updated 1-26

Comment

Welp, I just read the whole thing. Idk how I've missed this for so long. I love it. The car looks like it's hiding things (in a good way). Great car man.
                  Originally posted by Andy.B
                  Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                  1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Nice 1/4 mile run, car sounds smooth.

I see your enjoying all the rain also.
                    Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

looks good. The 318is badge you have is for an e36!

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                      Ig:ryno_pzk
                      I like the tuna here.
                      Originally posted by lambo
                      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Wow, just read whole thread. Good work! Glad you're getting to enjoy it finally.
                        89 325 cabrio in progress m52tub28 swap
                        99 540it
                        86 Volvo 240 wagon
                        99 Cherokee
                        13 Passat

Comment

Awesome

Great build and information. You do great work. Keep it up. Can't wait to see more, Don't suppose you have gotten anywhere on the MS write up? :popcorn:

Comment

I painted my door trim, making the car the trim surrounds look worse in comparison.

What did you use to paint your trim?

Instagram: @mistacarder

Comment

Originally posted by Good & Tight View Post
                              Nice 1/4 mile run, car sounds smooth.

I see your enjoying all the rain also.
                              Thanks, "nice 1/4mi run" means more coming from someone who has a car that could smoke mine if it coasted from the 1/8th mile mark :D

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
                              looks good. The 318is badge you have is for an e36!
                              Yep, and I really like it better than the E30 style badge, it just seems to fit the styling of this late car better.

Originally posted by Razor1981 View Post
                              Great build and information. You do great work. Keep it up. Can't wait to see more, Don't suppose you have gotten anywhere on the MS write up? :popcorn:
                              Nah, lack of interest from others and being busy on my part means it has been collecting electronic dust in my hardrive.

Originally posted by mistacarder View Post
                              What did you use to paint your trim?
                              Rustoleum satin black spray paint. I scuffed the trim with a brillo pad, cleaned it with simple green, and painted it. So far it's holding up nicely, no sign of peeling or cracks.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              - updated 1-26

Comment

Update:

More to come.

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
                                X