Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

325IX restore and build continued(turbo, e34ix diff, DCT)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
    Awesome! I thought about going with a 3.1 but I got a good deal on a forged 81mm crank. Ill be ordering a ms2 soon hopefully, are you doing wasted spark? And I deleted the abs because it never worked and I would have needed all new sensors and probably more.
    I guess I never saw your message. I am planning on running the coil to get it up and running. I may go COP later but there is no real need to change it at this point. I got my vTPS wired up and it runs fine now. So much torque though! On the top end it was running out of steam at about 5000 rpm (I'm at altitude so probably later than at sea level) due to the stock cam and head. I also had the stock exhaust on there which I am sure is restrictive on an engine 25% larger. Your oil drain looks more professional than mine, I threaded a fitting in there with thread locker and then put a nut inside the pan. We put it in the same spot to clear the oil pickup. Mine doesn't leak though! ~2500 miles on the engine so far.
    Attached Files
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

    No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

    Comment


      #47
      I was little worried with such a big stroke it would loose some top end, I'm hoping the 2.8 gets me a little more torque to get into boost then it should really scream. That 3.1 should give you very little lag that's for sure.

      I was pretty worried about my drain placement, im glad to see it should work. I was scrambling through a bunch of old pictures to see if it work clear everything haha

      Are you running the car n/a for now and putting the turbo on when it's broken in? I can't wait to hear how it runs! That this I'd going to be a monster
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

      IX being restored here

      Ix turbo build here

      Comment


        #48


        Got the bottom end back from the machine shop yesterday and got it painted up. Hopefully I can get it all put together this coming weekend.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

        IX being restored here

        Ix turbo build here

        Comment


          #49
          Picture time!!!




          Built everything so I could just drop the car on to it





          In its new home


          Is almost done, I have to finish up some little things before I put the hood back on.

          I started breaking in the motor, I have about an hour on it so far and it seams to be running pretty good.
          Next to come is the turbo!

          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

          IX being restored here

          Ix turbo build here

          Comment


            #50
            Nice progress!! How does the 2.8 feel over the 2.5?
            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

            Comment


              #51
              Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
              Nice progress!! How does the 2.8 feel over the 2.5?
              I haven't really ran it hard yet because it's nut tuned yet, but just from breaking it in I can tell theres more instant power when you shift but I kinda expected more. Once I get it fully broken in and running megasquirt I think it will help a lot.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

              IX being restored here

              Ix turbo build here

              Comment


                #52
                Coool :)
                :coolphoto:

                Comment


                  #53
                  Very nice!! That is an interesting approach to drop the car onto the motor.

                  Yeah I am working on my turbo setup right now. What turbno manifold are you using? Note, the 1st version of the cx racing turbo manifold will not clear the passenger motor mount. The second one fits better but I am not a huge fan. I decided to try it out and have most of it hooked up. If I were you I would consider getting in on the good n tight m20 manifold group buy. That is what I am planning to run for the long term and you don't have to monkey with drilling out the exhaust manifold holes, motor mount or oil lines.

                  cx racing gen 1 resting in place, not even on the exhaust studs

                  vs cx racing gen 2


                  and the good n tight group buy manifold


                  Keep up the good work!
                  318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                  '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

                  No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                    Very nice!! That is an interesting approach to drop the car onto the motor.

                    Yeah I am working on my turbo setup right now. What turbno manifold are you using? Note, the 1st version of the cx racing turbo manifold will not clear the passenger motor mount. The second one fits better but I am not a huge fan. I decided to try it out and have most of it hooked up. If I were you I would consider getting in on the good n tight m20 manifold group buy. That is what I am planning to run for the long term and you don't have to monkey with drilling out the exhaust manifold holes, motor mount or oil lines.

                    cx racing gen 1 resting in place, not even on the exhaust studs

                    vs cx racing gen 2


                    and the good n tight group buy manifold


                    Keep up the good work!
                    It actually worked great to drop the car on to it, it went real smooth. Right now I have a 666 adapter manifold that fits but I don't plan on using it. Im looking to go twin scroll so im not sure who im going to buy it from yet, but if I go open scroll I'll probably build it myself because with my tig

                    What turbo are going to use?
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

                    IX being restored here

                    Ix turbo build here

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
                      It actually worked great to drop the car on to it, it went real smooth. Right now I have a 666 adapter manifold that fits but I don't plan on using it. Im looking to go twin scroll so im not sure who im going to buy it from yet, but if I go open scroll I'll probably build it myself because with my tig

                      What turbo are going to use?
                      I've got an ebay style journal bearing to4e ~57 trim lying around to get it up and running. I am tossing around the idea of a nice water cooled/ ball bearing turbo though once I have a tune and the bugs worked out.



                      And some specs from the ebay link:



                      JDM T70 Turbocharger
                      T70 Turbocharger!!
                      Turbine Turbocharger
                      Oil cooled only
                      6 blade propeler
                      Compressor Specs :
                      4" Compressor Inlet
                      2.226" or 56.55mm Inducer
                      2.552" or 74.83mm Major
                      Compressor .70 A.R.
                      Compressor 75 Trim
                      M14 Compressor
                      Turbine Specs :
                      Twin Entry Type
                      11 Blade Type
                      58.18mm Exducer
                      Turbine .84 A.R.
                      Turbine 60 Trim
                      2.894 " or 73.50mm Major
                      2.275" or 57.78mm Minor
                      Made to use external wastegate
                      Uses T3 Exhaust flange (Dual Entry)
                      318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                      '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

                      No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                        I've got an ebay style journal bearing to4e ~57 trim lying around to get it up and running. I am tossing around the idea of a nice water cooled/ ball bearing turbo though once I have a tune and the bugs worked out.



                        And some specs from the ebay link:



                        JDM T70 Turbocharger
                        T70 Turbocharger!!
                        Turbine Turbocharger
                        Oil cooled only
                        6 blade propeler
                        Compressor Specs :
                        4" Compressor Inlet
                        2.226" or 56.55mm Inducer
                        2.552" or 74.83mm Major
                        Compressor .70 A.R.
                        Compressor 75 Trim
                        M14 Compressor
                        Turbine Specs :
                        Twin Entry Type
                        11 Blade Type
                        58.18mm Exducer
                        Turbine .84 A.R.
                        Turbine 60 Trim
                        2.894 " or 73.50mm Major
                        2.275" or 57.78mm Minor
                        Made to use external wastegate
                        Uses T3 Exhaust flange (Dual Entry)
                        Water cooler would be pretty awesome, haven't seen to many people do that. I thought about it and using the lines that went to the throttle body for it. But the turbo in looking at getting is only oil cooled.

                        I have the tipical hx35 right now but Ive been looking into getting a borg warner s200sx I just cant decide on a a/r I want to use.
                        My goal is 400whp so we will see what happens haha.
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

                        IX being restored here

                        Ix turbo build here

                        Comment


                          #57
                          Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
                          Water cooler would be pretty awesome, haven't seen to many people do that. I thought about it and using the lines that went to the throttle body for it. But the turbo in looking at getting is only oil cooled.

                          I have the tipical hx35 right now but Ive been looking into getting a borg warner s200sx I just cant decide on a a/r I want to use.
                          My goal is 400whp so we will see what happens haha.
                          From the match bot program that looks big depending on your boost levels. From my calcs the EFR6758 looks like a great fit. I am only planning about 10 psig at ~6000 ft elevation.

                          Click for link
                          318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                          '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

                          No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

                          Comment


                            #58
                            Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                            From the match bot program that looks big depending on your boost levels. From my calcs the EFR6758 looks like a great fit. I am only planning about 10 psig at ~6000 ft elevation.

                            Click for link
                            What's this match bot thing? I'm going for 20+ psi so I want to go a little big on the turbo to keep the heat down, and hopefully with twin scroll i can still have quick response.
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

                            IX being restored here

                            Ix turbo build here

                            Comment


                              #59
                              Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
                              What's this match bot thing? I'm going for 20+ psi so I want to go a little big on the turbo to keep the heat down, and hopefully with twin scroll i can still have quick response.
                              Its Borg Warner' turbo sizing program. They have some tutorials on how to use it at the bottom of the page.
                              318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                              '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

                              No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

                              Comment


                                #60
                                Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                                Its Borg Warner' turbo sizing program. They have some tutorials on how to use it at the bottom of the page.
                                I'll check that
                                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

                                IX being restored here

                                Ix turbo build here

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X