Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    The wheels look great on it. I am glad you didn't go with bronze.
    How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611


    Could be better, could be worse.

    Comment


      Originally posted by rzerob View Post
      The wheels look great on it. I am glad you didn't go with bronze.
      Thanks, bronze didn't feel right for these wheels. Plus I'll be keeping the rota grids as my "daily" wheels/tires so I'll keep enough bronze in my life to be happy. Might get them refinished soon too.
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

      Comment


        Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

        No kidding! Thanks for the feedback. I'll try this first.The 2.5* was kinda a carryover from when I was daily driving it. Don't really need to be so conservative now that it gets driven twice a month for pleasure. And rarely on the highway.

        Out of curiosity, what overall alignment specs are you running?


        Damn I am dying to go to an event asap.
        Right now I have

        Front:
        Max caster (probably around +9*) w/ offset bushings and camber/caster plates maxed out
        Max camber (put on a bubble gauge about 3.7*)
        0 toe but only because we were lazy, I will be running 1/16" toe out when we align it again

        Rear:
        2.2* camber (not enough, I am adding more by removing my subframe riser bushings, hoping for closer to 3*)
        1/16" toe in (it will end up being about 1/8" toe in when I remove the subframe risers)

        Macpherson struts (E30 front) roll over so much under heavy cornering, you really need a ton of camber. It gets even worse when the car is lowered aggressively without roll center correction. It's easy to get in the wrong range of camber sweep/gain, meaning you gain positive camber while cornering, rather than more negative camber.

        I think with how much camber I am running now that I will be able to clear my 225/40-17 Hoosier R7's without even rolling my front fenders. 225 Hoosiers have a 246mm section width! I'll be running a 17x8.5" wheel which gives me an advantage of your setup, since large wheels clear the struts easier (because the strut tube angles away from the hub, so the further you are from the hub, the further away the tube is).

        Check out this photo from my last track weekend. The front has an excellent contact patch, the rear is rolled over too much (need more rear camber). https://www.motorimages.com/2020-EVE...-BMW/i-QdD9RKB

        Comment


          Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post

          Right now I have

          Front:
          Max caster (probably around +9*) w/ offset bushings and camber/caster plates maxed out
          Max camber (put on a bubble gauge about 3.7*)
          0 toe but only because we were lazy, I will be running 1/16" toe out when we align it again

          Rear:
          2.2* camber (not enough, I am adding more by removing my subframe riser bushings, hoping for closer to 3*)
          1/16" toe in (it will end up being about 1/8" toe in when I remove the subframe risers)

          Macpherson struts (E30 front) roll over so much under heavy cornering, you really need a ton of camber. It gets even worse when the car is lowered aggressively without roll center correction. It's easy to get in the wrong range of camber sweep/gain, meaning you gain positive camber while cornering, rather than more negative camber.

          I think with how much camber I am running now that I will be able to clear my 225/40-17 Hoosier R7's without even rolling my front fenders. 225 Hoosiers have a 246mm section width! I'll be running a 17x8.5" wheel which gives me an advantage of your setup, since large wheels clear the struts easier (because the strut tube angles away from the hub, so the further you are from the hub, the further away the tube is).

          Check out this photo from my last track weekend. The front has an excellent contact patch, the rear is rolled over too much (need more rear camber). https://www.motorimages.com/2020-EVE...-BMW/i-QdD9RKB
          Wow. Didn't realize my alignments been this far off pace for the car and its current usage. Just did a bit of research over the past day and read basically the same as you suggest here^ in multiple threads/topics/forums. Thank you for that. Good thing I can take care of alignment adjustments myself these days that'll probably be one of the first projects in the new garage. I'll play with caster again too - currently it's set close to stock but I have adjustability at both the camber plate and the control arm bushing.

          I am painfully aware of the wheel-to-strut clearance issue I have made worse with the 15" wheels... one of my first thoughts when checking clearance was exactly that... I could fit quite a bit more inboard with a 17" wheel. Oh well.

          Nice photos! The car looks very good and really punctuates the alignment tips you shared. Next event I'll try to have someone either watching/recording/photographing so I can check a similar view. So hard to judge these things on my own. Now I am really dying to adjust alignment and get back out there!
          '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
          Shadetree30

          Comment


            Condor has an alignment and corner balance setup now... we are really diving in deep and trying different things every time we're headed to the track. It's a fun rabbit hole!

            The photos don't always tell you a lot, but some things are obvious (like my rear camber). Another nice tool to have at the track is a pyrometer, and to test the inside, middle, and outside of the tires. That can help you dial in camber and tire pressures.

            Comment


              Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
              Condor has an alignment and corner balance setup now... we are really diving in deep and trying different things every time we're headed to the track. It's a fun rabbit hole!

              The photos don't always tell you a lot, but some things are obvious (like my rear camber). Another nice tool to have at the track is a pyrometer, and to test the inside, middle, and outside of the tires. That can help you dial in camber and tire pressures.
              Yes it is a lot of fun. Last autox I was fussing mainly with tire pressures and it made a significant difference. I want to leave the car as is for a while (except possibly building up another rear subframe/TA setup since my bushings are on their way out) and just learn the car and maximize the current setup.

              Is an infrared temp gun appropriate to take tire temps? Or do I want one with a probe to poke the tire?
              '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
              Shadetree30

              Comment


                Wheels are gray8!

                Cant wait for some action shots!

                Digitalwave, what are your sprint rates and bars?

                great photos BTW!
                Zach@Zakspeed.us

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

                  Yes it is a lot of fun. Last autox I was fussing mainly with tire pressures and it made a significant difference. I want to leave the car as is for a while (except possibly building up another rear subframe/TA setup since my bushings are on their way out) and just learn the car and maximize the current setup.

                  Is an infrared temp gun appropriate to take tire temps? Or do I want one with a probe to poke the tire?
                  I've been told probe only but haven't researched why. I think the surface of the tire cools too fast for an infrared to work properly.

                  Zach I def need to update my thread, so much has changed in the last couple of months...

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                    Wheels are gray8!

                    Cant wait for some action shots!
                    Haha solid dad joke. Me too! just a few weeks away...

                    Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post

                    I've been told probe only but haven't researched why. I think the surface of the tire cools too fast for an infrared to work properly.

                    Zach I def need to update my thread, so much has changed in the last couple of months...
                    That makes sense. I've seen a handful of people at events with a temp probe, but never an IR gun

                    and yes, you do need an update. we've been patiently waiting
                    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                    Shadetree30

                    Comment


                      Long time no post.... no I haven't been stricken with covid-19, but I did move and change jobs the week all this craziness started! It's been quite a wild ride for the past 6 weeks. New house came with a new garage. It's a bit smaller than the garage I had before, but I won't be sharing the space with anyone else which is nice for a change. It's a fairly narrow 2 car garage, and driveway, so rather than try to fit two cars in there with no space to spare, I committed to one car at a time, but excellent storage and working space. I let my OCD organization run rampant and bought a bunch of racks and various bins to help box everything up into sensible categories and make the best use of my space. Also got 8 LED panels to put on the ceiling, a nice 7 channel stereo (2 channels run outside the garage), framed and hung some garage art I've been saving, and my favorite part - a beer fridge. Unfortunately the washer and dryer can't be moved out of the garage so I worked around them.
                      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                      Shadetree30

                      Comment


                        I am disappointed. All this talk of this new place and the things you are doing to it but no pictures. For shame Sh3rpak!ng, for shame.
                        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611


                        Could be better, could be worse.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                          I am disappointed. All this talk of this new place and the things you are doing to it but no pictures. For shame Sh3rpak!ng, for shame.
                          Send your shame to tapatalk. I've been trying to upload photos all morning. Keeps failing.
                          '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                          Shadetree30

                          Comment


                            congrats on the new pad and job. hope we all can get some fun runs up to newcomb and get some breakfast again soon.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                              Here are some garage photos Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                              '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                              Shadetree30

                              Comment


                                congrats on the new pad! love how organized the garage is, watch out for that wire wheel though! i just started to clean up my garage, but everything i want to do to organize it costs money i shouldn't be spending right now!!
                                89 325i 4dr s52
                                02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily)
                                15' Honda Grom

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X