No announcement yet.

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn I didnt know you work for Czinger!! Thats awesome... We need to get together soon. Its never long enough when we hang out
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      Damn I didnt know you work for Czinger!! Thats awesome... We need to get together soon. Its never long enough when we hang out
      Yes! It's been a hell of a busy year for me. Lots of good change. Let's mark a weekend for a drive and catch up.
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

Ok, lets get into the project.

The plan is a Link G4X Xtremex ECU, drive by wire throttle system, speed density tuning method, x2 wideband sensors (one for each bank). All of this just means lots of extra brackets and different parts that need to be adapted and fitted to make it all work. I decided to use the E-throttle body and pedal from the e46 330 (throttle body is a couple mms larger, so it’s also a small BBTB upgrade). I have to figure out some way to mount a TMAP sensor to the intake manifold (TMAP = temperature and manifold pressure in one sensor).

I will also need to mount up a handful of electronic components. ECU (obvious), x2 igniters, x2 wideband controllers and a main power relay. I also decided to make a full milspec wire harness with all the fancy details – milspec connectors, all new OEM connectors, DR-25 heat shrink, glue, molded boots, labels, twists, loops, etc.

I decided to go with the Link Xtreme because it supports the e-throttle system, plus some other fun functions that I want to use down the road. Launch control, traction control, ABS/stability control to name a few (later projects…)

Anyway, the project starts by slowly creating the new wiring diagram and mounting all of the new hardware.

At first the thinking was that we would cut up and use the majority of my existing harness. That plan eventually was ditched as we realized how little of it would actually be useful. Unfortunately we didn’t come to that realization until after we cut up and “destroyed” the old harness… unfortunate.

Disassembly begins

Here is the refurbished e46 TB. I bought it used for cheap. Sandblasted it, ground/sanded/blended the casting marks, painted it, polished the aluminum, conditioned the plastic. Looks better than new.

Here's the adapter plate I hand made. Pretty simple. The e46 TB and the e36 TB share two bolt hole diagonally. So I clocked the e46 TB at a bit of an angle and threaded new holes into the aluminum adapter. Then polished the adapter. Fit’s like a glove and bolts in solid.

Here is everything mounted

I also hired an intern. She keeps an eye on things. Sometimes.

As this project ramped up I realized I needed more bench space, so I made a new mobile workbench. Also reorganized the garage.

Repurposed an old beat up table.

It also doubles as my new welding cart and fabrication table so I can roll it outside to do the dirty work instead of in the garage next to the car. Super useful also for working on my truck.

Before

After

Started butchering the old harness. Probably for the better. I had a bunch of splices in it, found some corroded wires, also found a power wire that had been worn through the insulation because of bad placement and vibration abrasion. That’s a real thing…

V3 harness diagram sketch. This helped to visualize placement of connectors, wire lengths, parts needed.

Here’s a “while you’re in there” project. I haven’t had a working blower in 2-3 years. See if you can spot the problem.

The blower experienced a RUD event.

Rapid-unscheduled-disassembly

Also forgot to mention I decided to use this stinger PDM unit rather than individual relays. It’s a solid state relay block perfect for main power distribution into all of the new systems. Easy to control with the ECU, (allows control of each channel with either a neg or pos trigger), shows status lights to indicate on/off/fault. I’d have loved to use one of those slick PDM units from haltech/motec, but damn they are expensive.

Made a bracket for the igniters

New workbench and overhead light is nice

Intern is always watching, never helping.

Modified this glove box bracket for better clearance. I have an optimistic idea that I will be able to cleverly package everything to allow all the OE covers and glove box to fit back in place.

Started making more brackets and mounting electronic hardware in glove box area

Engine side bracket to mount connectors

Shadetree30

Comment

This thread is quite the diary. Very cool progress. Congratulations on paying off the student loans.

Comment

Originally posted by DoDatsun View Post
            This thread is quite the diary. Very cool progress. Congratulations on paying off the student loans.
            Thank you.

If I didn't put the details here, I probably would forget a lot of what I've done with this car. I frequently refer back to it to refresh my memory.
            Shadetree30

Comment

Congrats on many things, especially the new job! I've never heard of them, but that certainly sounds like it's right up your alley.
              In your workshop, I really like the mounting/placement of the buffer wheel, lol. Super convenient.

Currently building a badass coffee table
              Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

badass set of updates! congrats at czinger and the m2 purchase! oh and thanks again for always helping out via DM's btw!
                89 325i 4dr s52
                02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
                21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

You have really progressed, this is awesome to see. Hope all is well!

I've been dealing with additive at work as well, we'll have to meet up sometime.

Comment

I love the wiring updates, and that you're using a Link XtremeX - such a nice ECU.
                    I wish Link could get their PDM to market but last I heard they're still at least a year out.

What are the igniters for? I know the ECU has internal ignition drivers, but is there some reason they aren't sufficient?
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

What coils you using?

While I was fitting the DBW actuator on my motor I realized I cut off all the extra mounting nubs before I painted the block... No DBW for standalone for the S50 motor... DOH!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Ahem... Sh3rpak!ng let’s hear the dyno results
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Don’t kill the forplay!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

As I mentioned earlier, I’m ditching the MAF in favor of speed density tuning which requires a manifold pressure and temp sensor. Easier said than done. This is a plastic intake manifold – not so easy to just “add a bung” like you’d do with a manifold made from metal. For the pressure sensor I suppose I could port a small silicone hose off the manifold and mount a remote sensor. And maybe I could find a suitable threaded temp sensor to carefully mount. I don’t like the idea of either. Not very sleek or compact. So I came up with a solution. Using one of these bosch TMAP sensors – temp and pressure in one unit, a small piece of aluminum and some careful measurements.

I came up with this. The sensor seals with an oring designed to fit a precise bore. The aluminum plate provides that solid bore. Then the aluminum plate is bolted and JB welded to the manifold to seal and fix it in place.

Had to make a mid stream design change. The internal side of the manifold had further ribbing that interfered with where I wanted to bolt the mounting block. So I changed the design to 3 point, which should be fine.

Roughed up both surfaces before the JB weld to give the epoxy something extra to key into and make a strong bond.

Here it is done

Started making the mount and bracket for the accelerator pedal

Custom ordered some new electronic custom gauges to replace the old VDO gauges. Going for an classic airplane vibe with the colors.

Nice backlight too

Packaging this stuff is tough. Not much space to work with. And I want to be able to put the glovebox back together.

Refinished the vanos solenoid

Getting the harness right without mistakes takes loads of planning and patience. We drew out the harness many times on paper and on the table to visualize and keep track of all the components.

My oil filter housing was leaking a drip of oil, so I took the opportunity to pull it off and refinish it. I ended up going a bit mad and sanded smooth all the casting marks, then had it powder coated. Came out lovely. Did the thermostat housing too. Wish I could do the vanos unit as well, but couldn’t justify the unneeded disassembly of the head etc. Ended up replacing the alternator with a new bosch unit as well as the belt tensioner. Preventative maintenance. And I wanted everything shiny.

Looking super fresh with all of the new sensors and bits of hardware.

This was a relatively serious issue not far from becoming much worse. Power cable that ran between starter/fusebox/main battery lug (can’t remember exactly). Anyway, from casual observation its routing was fine, but on closer inspection it was riding on a sharp edge of the plastic wire loom cover and this was the result over ~30k miles.

Painted brackets for mounting the ECU and wideband controllers

Small side project. Tired of messy coolant drain. AN fitting adapter and 90* fitting will make draining coolant a breeze.

Little by little building up the new loom and associated cables

In the midst of this project I picked up this monster drill press. It’s a 1974 delta rockwell variable speed 3 phase drill press. Needs a minor restoration, but I love it.

Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Chilezen View Post
                              Congrats on many things, especially the new job! I've never heard of them, but that certainly sounds like it's right up your alley.
                              In your workshop, I really like the mounting/placement of the buffer wheel, lol. Super convenient.
                              Thanks Kevin. Divergent 3D/Czinger are doing some very impressive things. I'm sure once we go into full production of the cars there will be much more public coverage. I'm really enjoying the job.
                              I've been frustrated with poor buffer placement forever before now. You're right, this spot is super handy! (just don't forget it's there and walk into it)

Originally posted by s14brent View Post
                              badass set of updates! congrats at czinger and the m2 purchase! oh and thanks again for always helping out via DM's btw!
                              Thanks! Always happy to help

Originally posted by AceAndrew777 View Post
                              You have really progressed, this is awesome to see. Hope all is well!

I've been dealing with additive at work as well, we'll have to meet up sometime.
                              Thanks Andrew! Nice to see you're still active on here. Dunno if I've missed updates on your own project (I'll check in a minute), but I hope it's still progressing and you're doing well. Yes it would be fun to trade notes, additive is really incredible.

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                              I love the wiring updates, and that you're using a Link XtremeX - such a nice ECU.
                              I wish Link could get their PDM to market but last I heard they're still at least a year out.

What are the igniters for? I know the ECU has internal ignition drivers, but is there some reason they aren't sufficient?
                              Yes it's a super capable ECU. There are loads of functions I intend to grow into with time. It's "big boy" hardware for sure. I would've liked to use one of their PDM units, or even a motec/haltech PDM, but I was trying to keep budget in control. In hindsight I should've just sprung for it. Would've made the wiring, trouble shooting, and control over the electronics that much easier and simpler. Also easy to add into.

The ECU doesn't have internal igniters, so you're required to figure out an external solution.

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                              What coils you using?

While I was fitting the DBW actuator on my motor I realized I cut off all the extra mounting nubs before I painted the block... No DBW for standalone for the S50 motor... DOH!
                              Just standard 3 channel bosch igniters. The keen eyes might recognize that the igniters pictured were incorrect, I made a mistake and had ordered some 2 channel igniters
                              Which mounting nubs did you remove?

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              Ahem... Sh3rpak!ng let’s hear the dyno results
                              Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                              Don’t kill the forplay!
                              Hahaha... well I can answer this easy without ruining any surprise - no final numbers. Ran into issues with the crank sensor/signal and timing. Not quite yet sure what's up. I'm gonna put a post in the bimmerforums FI section (because those guys know their standalone ECU shit and the S/M5X motors like the back of their hand).

I'm still running the OEM hall effect crank sensor in OE position (below the starter). But when it's wired according to all of the diagrams, it doesn't work. When I swap power and ground pins, it works. But we see timing increase with RPM. Something isn't quite right. I wonder if this sensor is not exactly a "standard" hall effect sensor and if it was another kinda weird thing BMW did. Anyway, we still got a nice tune on the car and just corrected for the timing gain at high RPM. So on WOT it pulls like a freight train, but in lower RPMs I'm not making power like it should, and all of this was making a more precise tune difficult. I'll figure this out and go back.
                              Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                                \
                                The ECU doesn't have internal igniters, so you're required to figure out an external solution.
                                Wow, not that I didn't trust you or anything, but I had to check the manual to see for myself - and you're absolutely right.
                                It's advertised as having "8 Ignition Drivers" and I always taken "ignition driver" to be a built-in IGBT that drives a dumb coil, but I guess that becomes false somewhere between MS and Link. I had no idea
                                Originally posted by priapism
                                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                                Originally posted by shameson
                                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
                                X