No announcement yet.

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah I mixed them up. Mine is like the stamped bracket on the right. So I guess it is e30. My mistake. Its still installed backwards though, so the driveshaft is at an awkward angle in the middle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
      Ah I mixed them up. Mine is like the stamped bracket on the right. So I guess it is e30. My mistake. Its still installed backwards though, so the driveshaft is at an awkward angle in the middle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Sounds like that's your issue. You're running a zf320 now? if so, you need to install the csb in the normal direction to straighten it back out.

24v + g260 and e30 DS = e30 csb backwards
      24v + zf320 and e36 DS = e30 csb normal
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

Picked up my early model sheet metal shifter bracket if you don't mind me copying your genius idea .

Do you think it will be a problem running rubber mounts with this shifter solid in place ? Kinda don't wanna switch to Poly yet .
        1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
        1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
        1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
        1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

16x9 et20 should be fine for 225/45 in front with a ~5mm spacer and 245/45 in the rear with a good roll/pull. Pretty much what I'm running now, except mine are et15 and I made a bad decision and bought 8" wide for the front. Et20 definitely sounds better for the rear than et15 though.

I'm running an obd1 TB and I've noticed the e34 cable is crazy long, so maybe I'll pick up an e36 cable as well.

When running any driveshaft in the e30, you run the e30 Csb in its normal orientation and preload ~5mm to the front. The csb mounts in the trans tunnel are offset, so the Csb is offset equal and opposite to counter it. I followed the typical r3v advice and installed it backwards the first time.

Once it was all in, I stepped back to look at it and there was a noticeable kink in the middle at the Csb.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
            Picked up my early model sheet metal shifter bracket if you don't mind me copying your genius idea .

Do you think it will be a problem running rubber mounts with this shifter solid in place ? Kinda don't wanna switch to Poly yet .
            Not at all, I love sharing these ideas. That's what the forum and the community is all about. Just give me a shout out :D

As far as rubber mounts, I don't know. I never drove my car with the solid mounted shifter and rubber bushings. I went with poly engine/trans mounts at the same time I did the shifter. Personally I wouldn't do it. But I guess it comes down to your usage of the car? If you are just tooling around town, I would think it probably wouldn't be a big deal. If you're canyon carving/autox/tracking, you'd probably want poly. I'd say do it and drive it and see if it's a problem. Don't blame me if you miss shift :D

Originally posted by Northern View Post
            16x9 et20 should be fine for 225/45 in front with a ~5mm spacer and 245/45 in the rear with a good roll/pull. Pretty much what I'm running now, except mine are et15 and I made a bad decision and bought 8" wide for the front. Et20 definitely sounds better for the rear than et15 though.

I'm running an obd1 TB and I've noticed the e34 cable is crazy long, so maybe I'll pick up an e36 cable as well.

When running any driveshaft in the e30, you run the e30 Csb in its normal orientation and preload ~5mm to the front. The csb mounts in the trans tunnel are offset, so the Csb is offset equal and opposite to counter it. I followed the typical r3v advice and installed it backwards the first time.

Once it was all in, I stepped back to look at it and there was a noticeable kink in the middle at the Csb.
            I kinda want to go to 16x9 so I can fill out fender flares and put down the current power which will only increase over the next year(s). And potentially clear a bbk (right now there's like 1mm clearance on my front brakes). Also I want to go fender flares because I like the look :D and it has been part of my vision from the start :D

I'll update eventually with a comment on e36 cable fit when i get around to installing it - maybe at the same time I swap my brake booster (I think I hear it leaking)

Yea, I too followed r3v advice and clearly saw it crooked. I mean, the logic follows that the CSB needs to be installed backwards with the g260 and 24v swap (being that the trans is tilted/offset). But with zf320 and 24v swap where the trans is centered again, it would be normal csb orientation.
            Shadetree30

Comment

I made some sketches for some parts a work connection will machine for me :D He told me he likes the change of pace from doing all the industry stuff and it takes him back to his days of drag racing

Also gave him 4 vw corrado front disks to have the hubs enlarged :D :D I had no idea how cheap the brembo blanks are... ~$33/disk

I have a UUC DSSR from my e36, a brand new e36 selector rod, a brand new selector rod knuckle, a brand new bitch clip, a brand new z3m lever, and an old e36 lever that I totally disassembled to take measurements from and see where and why the weak points are that contribute to a little extra wiggle here and there. These drawings are what I came up with. I am having him machine the ends/forks for the selector rod separate from the shaft so i can play with final length and "twist" between the forks while it's on the car and then weld it together. Yes, this has all been done before by several companies, but doing this stuff on my own is why I enjoy doing what I'm doing (not to mention it's costing me nothing). I'm sure I'll still learn plenty even if it doesn't work.

I went a little wider on the width of the forks since I noticed the pins getting a little worn on the UUC piece where it sits on the forks due to the side to side forces when selecting R-1/2-3/4-5. The wider fork should distribute the load over a slightly larger area and not wear it out. I also decided on 10mm holes since a pin to fit that will also snugly fit a 10mm ID bronze bushing/10mm ID bearing/OEM components so I can try several different combos of parts if I want to.

Here's the pin. It'll be hardened steel, and possibly work in conjunction with hardened sleeves in the fork itself. OD of 9.94mm was decided on for a tight and snug fit through the possible bushings/bearings etc.

Here are two tools to be used for pressing bushings in/out of the selector rod knuckle and/or the shift lever joint.

Here are the different shaft sizes I'll try. The 147mm shaft will make it an oem length e36 selector rod when measured end to end on center hole to hole (197mm). The other two are for experimenting to see if it'll locate the shift knob a bit further back which will be more to my liking. I'm thinking it would be better to shorten/lengthen the selector rod, rather than bending the shift lever to adjust front to back shifter location.

This part is not shifter related, but another transmission tool. It was sketched/pictured in another thread describing how to replace the "third" detent next to the 5th and reverse detents on the side of the zf320 trans. I decided to do a fresh sketch of those drawings for the machine shop to be up to par with my others :D

Shadetree30

Comment

Nice build dude..

Comment

Originally posted by Khudee View Post
                  Nice build dude..
                  Thanks man

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                  Shadetree30

Comment

In for inspiration...

Comment

Originally posted by shieldsyo View Post
                      In for inspiration...
                      thanks man!
                      Shadetree30

Comment

you need to update your signature with one that has the rear spoiler in it... now that I mention that, I need to update mine with one that doesnt have dents in the fender
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          you need to update your signature with one that has the rear spoiler in it... now that I mention that, I need to update mine with one that doesnt have dents in the fender
                          yea, you're right... I need to snap some new pictures! (but I probably won't anytime soon because e36)

haha your sig makes those dents look HUGE. get on it!
                          Shadetree30

Comment

Ready for a tune? ;)

Check Us out on Facebook
                            Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                            Full Product Line Tuning
                            OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Yes, get a tune and then sign up for the Big Willow event on Jan 16. Im there.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                                Ready for a tune? ;)
                                Tune or front bbk or wheels/tires

That is the question.

Though, I'm leaning towards a tune first.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X