-work to 3000 grit orbital
    -hard cut polish
    -medium cut
    -fine cut
    -sealant
    -and then wax for future

Right?

Do you put polish on using the orbital?
    My skyline's paint is a little shitty so I was thinking about doing some sort of cutting polish. I've tried with just a polish kind of thing and it didn't do much.
    I did all the pre 3000 grit sanding by hand, only 3000 grit on the orbital. And yes, you got the rest correct.

To get decent results with polish you need to use a machine. Usually with some clay barring, polishing and wax you can make even shitty paint look pretty good

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
      God damn photobucket. Killing me.

I hear ya... Im back through about 5 pages of the 25 that my thread is. really annoying
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I did all the pre 3000 grit sanding by hand, only 3000 grit on the orbital. And yes, you got the rest correct.

To get decent results with polish you need to use a machine. Usually with some clay barring, polishing and wax you can make even shitty paint look pretty good

Right OK. Thanks.
        I'll give it a go and see what happens
        sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          I hear ya... Im back through about 5 pages of the 25 that my thread is. really annoying
          Im afraid to see how much of mine is gone... ive been using photobucket since 08

Started using google photos 1-1.5 years ago thinking google will never die. But fuck. So many thread so many photos in photobucket....
          Originally posted by econti View Post
          Right OK. Thanks.
          I'll give it a go and see what happens
          Googluck!

Shadetree30

Comment

Got an alignment at JMP, nice guys, cool shop. Now I need new tires. The DZ2s are at the wear bars. Thinking of going to R888s either in 205/50 or 225/45

Finally replaced the clutch master again (under warranty from BMA - great guys there) hoping to alleviate the strange clutch function I've been experiencing. Basically, the clutch doesn't always grab in the same place, sometimes it grabs high, sometimes low which makes driving around town really irritating, especially with this on/off switch clutch. I've tried gravity bleeding, pressure bleeding, good old pedal pumping (with slave installed and hanging), and now I've even bench bled the master fwiw... still not much change. I did notice it seems to generally grab a bit higher than before but that's the only difference. Could it be a bad slave? It kinda seems like there's still air in the system somewhere? This irritates the crap out of me. At least it's easy and simple to replace a slave. I'm tired of getting doused in brake fluid.

In the meantime I started working on an e36 x brace I picked up cheap at a yard some time ago. It needed a little modification to fit. The subframe already has the holes for the front flanges to bolt up to - I rivnutted those. Next, one of the cross bars interfered slightly with the swaybar. I chopped it and welded a flat steel bar in its place which gave the needed clearance. Lastly, the ends of the brace which mount to the frame rails were slightly the wrong angle to mount flush. I cut them off and welded them at a slight rotation so they now sit flat. Now just waiting for m10 rivnuts from mcmaster so I can bolt the brace to the frame rails.

X brace cost me $30 :D - not bad

Met up with simon and my friend Gabe with his 24v R32, synchro AWD swapped GTI at supercar sunday and had a little canyon run.

I have a project in the works to sort out a budget bbk solution for the rear brakes. Two piston calipers, slightly larger 266mm vented discs. Parking brake compatible. All the parts are ordered. Just waiting for them to arrive and get some time to play with it.

More info HERE

Some other goodies in the mail too. Hoping to get my new carpet cleaned, dyed and installed today.
            Shadetree30

Comment

Met up with Simon and my friend Gabe with his 24v R32, synchro AWD swapped GTI at supercar sunday and had a little canyon run.

I figured you would've taken one from this angle

Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

I figured you would've taken one from this angle
                I actually didn't but you did, so thanks!
                Shadetree30

Comment

updated sig :D couldn't stand that stupid photobucket crap
                  Shadetree30

Comment

Started cleaning the gray carpet that's been taking space in the garage for like the past 6 months... seller insisted it would clean up easily :roll: I drove an hour and a half to get it in sweltering heat under the pretense that it was "clean" and only needed vacuuming. Definitely overpaid but oh well. It looked like a small animal was murdered in the passenger back seat. There was a thick, deep layer of some brownish stain. More likely someone spilled an entire big gulp of coke.

These pictures make it look much better than it is. We went over the badly stained areas with the extractor+detergent probably 15-20x and the extractor was still pulling brown fluid. Driver side wasn't as bad luckily.

I am still debating whether or not I want to dye it back. I think the grey will contrast nicely with the houndstooth door cards and gray handles.

This was already after a few passes. It was deep dark brown on the first pass. The dirty water in the extractor was deep dark brown :x

Rear calipers arrived. Brackets should be here tomorrow. Discs by the end of the week. Pads are backordered.

Installed the x brace. Took a little finagling but it sits nicely now and hangs no lower than the skidplate. Didn't get a chance yet to "test" to see if I notice a difference.

Shadetree30

Comment

- Leave the carpet Gray (paint/ dye adds weight, and might ruin the carpet)
                      - Grind the Nissan off (more clearance/ less weight)
                      - Burn Rubber (less weight)

Sincerely,

Lightweight weenie
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

- Leave the carpet Gray (paint/ dye adds weight, and might ruin the carpet)
                        - Grind the Nissan off (more clearance/ less weight)
                        - Burn Rubber (less weight)

Sincerely,

Lightweight weenie
                        hahaha I'll probably leave it gray just because its a pita to dye and im tired of having it getting in my way

nissan letters will obviously be removed asap. I'm okay with having nissan parts on the car, but they can't say "nissan". Debating whether or not to paint them. Raw aluminum is tricky with rattle cans.

I burn rubber every time I drive it. I think you've witnessed...
                        Shadetree30

Comment

I burn rubber every time I drive it. I think you've witnessed...
                          this is a fact
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

I dyed my carpet black in my winter ix and it started wearing off around a year later. Not worth it in my opinion. If you want black carpet buy it from the dealer.
                            How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

I wouldn't dye it either.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

+1, dyed mine a few years ago and it is now back to grey....
                                IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X