Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

Yes we all know your fetish for weight reduction and speed holes... the whole steel skeleton really doesn't weight much more than 1-2 lbs believe it or not. The ABS weighs more. I'm already thinking of how I'd do a v2. Maybe fiberglass.
    fibreglass!... time to lay some Carbon Fiber! lol
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      fibreglass!... time to lay some Carbon Fiber! lol
      Screw it... need to start scanning, 3d printing and plugging molds... Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

I set mine as close as I could to stock. I measured the old ones and made these match as close as possible. My motivation to use them was because the garagistic bushings were already wearing out and squeaking horribly, I wanted more clearance to rebuild a new exhaust on the passenger side, and they weren't that much more expensive than the "treehouse" style but offered adjustability. Somewhere down the line I'll start playing with caster adjustments. I used to have a set of offset bushings but had to ditch them because it was too much once I went to the slightly larger/wider r888 which was rubbing/dragging on the front splashguard
        Any chance you could PM me the dimension from the mounting block to the end of the rod end? or to the center? I don't have the stock bushings

Comment

Definitely could benefit from venting the wheel opening. Some canards and creative bumper venting as well and you'll have some modern aero tricks on this old brick.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post

Any chance you could PM me the dimension from the mounting block to the end of the rod end? or to the center? I don't have the stock bushings
            PMed. It's 11cm end to end

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
            Definitely could benefit from venting the wheel opening. Some canards and creative bumper venting as well and you'll have some modern aero tricks on this old brick.
            Yes this is all planned. I got quite a lot of black ABS to play with after I finish the skirts I'll move on to a mild front splitter to match that'll extend to the same width of the skirts, incorporating deflecting strips in front of the leading edge of the tire flowing into the flares as well as canards to further deflect... I'm really having fun now with these projects. This is why I bought the car in the first place
            Shadetree30

Comment

Getting very close to permanent mounting and finishing touches now. Passenger side will move quickly now that I've figured out the process for the driver side. Perhaps the steel frame wasn't such a poor idea from a weight standpoint... I'll weigh it all when it's done for my curiosity but it doesnt feel more than 1-2 lbs believe it or not, and now that its fully mounted it's quite strong and stiff. Attaching the ABS will only improve on that. Now I'm curious to know how much an IS skirt weighs... Hand cut and added a little vinyl character to the rear quarter panel... it's supposed to kinda embody my feeling of this car. Like theres a demon trapped inside trying to get out. That's how it feels driving it at autox Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
              Shadetree30

Comment

Yes. Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	03d2f7cddd8b7551d90f66f16c604526.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	9864012
                  Great work on the skirts! I love the balanced yin yang design going on here. Makes the whole skirt/flare design blend together nicely

Comment

Originally posted by ArtFoodBMW View Post
                    Great work on the skirts! I love the balanced yin yang design going on here. Makes the whole skirt/flare design blend together nicely
                    Thanks! that's exactly the style I'm aiming for Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                    Shadetree30

Comment

I can weigh an iS skirt to compare. Still never installed mine.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                        I can weigh an iS skirt to compare. Still never installed mine.
                        Yes please! Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                        Shadetree30

Comment

Progress from the past week. One side is *done* and the other side frame is finished and painted ready for final install. Some final details took quite a bit more time to iron out... Welded all the rest of the L support tabs, made a handful of end mount tabs, half needed a support shaft to weld onto the end brackets where there is no rod (on the inner top/bottom), then I added tabs on the front edges to hold the bottom edge of the flares flush with the skirt, and lastly I added the rear tabs for bottom corner fixture to the chassis. Once they were all done and painted I needed to devise a way to mark and drill mounting holes on the abs... I couldn't just measure and mark, too much inconsistency with all the tabs not being absolutely perfectly lined up. So I came up with an idea... clamp the abs in place and use a soldering iron with a special tip (I made) to poke the abs through the 1/8" inside bracket holes and melt a dimple at each spot. Worked like a charm. Lastly I did some more CAD to make the templates for the front and rear covers and mounted those too. The rear piece I heated a bit and bent to match the curve of the flare. I measured it to terminate right at the spot where the tire just barely rubs the flare so there would be no interference. Now to do the passenger side... Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                          Shadetree30

Comment

So damn cool. Great work!

Comment

So did you leave the front flare open like that or did you fill that in and not take a picture of it? It looks good from the side. Any plans on painting it? I think the part going out from the body, body color with the flat piece going down left black would look good too.
                              How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                                So damn cool. Great work!
                                thanks!

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                                So did you leave the front flare open like that or did you fill that in and not take a picture of it? It looks good from the side. Any plans on painting it? I think the part going out from the body, body color with the flat piece going down left black would look good too.
                                Yes planned to leave it open for ducting the rear of the wheel well. I Intend to cut the portion of the fender under the trim and bend it inwards, also probably trim the flare to remove the bottom mounting hole. I'll likely fill the open space with some mesh to make it look more finished. Not planning to paint any of the ABS.
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X