No announcement yet.

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any E36 Header needs at least the stock secondary's adapted to fit the chassis and for ground clearance. But good to see they take about the "standard" installation. I guess you had to redo the B1 collector for clearance?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
      Any E36 Header needs at least the stock secondary's adapted to fit the chassis and for ground clearance. But good to see they take about the "standard" installation. I guess you had to redo the B1 collector for clearance?
      That's true. I guess I've spoiled myself with how I had the OEM tubular headers done. I clearanced my subframe and flipped one of the studs around so I could actually install/remove them without touching anything else in about 5 mins. No more....

Yes, B1 header had to be reworked for clearance. It was pointing straight at the swaybar. It was also a bit mangled from the previous modification/install from the previous owner.
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

I just ended up putting the S54 subframe with S54 oil pan on the my US S50. Any header option should work I think with making ground clearance... If I ever change things up from the AA headers... Ill dig for a set of euro headers..

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
          I just ended up putting the S54 subframe with S54 oil pan on the my US S50. Any header option should work I think with making ground clearance... If I ever change things up from the AA headers... Ill dig for a set of euro headers..
          Just breezed through your thread, nice work! You're right there's a ton of space once you move to the s54 pan and subframe which also relocates the swaybar... I have an s54 pan and spare subframe hanging on the wall for when the time comes... too many projects, and now the truck
          Shadetree30

Comment

Replacing fuel lines *rolls eyes* thought I wouldn't have to touch these for a few years, but as you can see they've started to split and I could smell fuel around them. Though nothing was actually leaking (yet) this is not something I want to even think about taking a chance with. In hindsight, I bought this fuel line from an aerospace/military surplus store and it could've been fairly old, or not rated for ethanol regardless I'm replacing it with vibrant push lock hose. It's a little more flexible too.

I also took the opportunity to replace some old hose clamps and lines around the filter. This short "U" bend line I replaced with gates fuel hose years ago I never realized until now was actually kinking pretty badly. Hard to see in the photo, but it's a significant kink. I found the BMW PN for the moulded "U" bend hose and ordered it... yea it was expensive $25 but I didn't know what else to do except walk through napa or autozone and look at all their off the shelf moulded lines to see if I could find one...

here's the bmw moulded fuel line

On the topic of headers, I finished installing them. Made this merge setup to connect the euro headers to my existing 2.5" single. Used some spare aluminized tube I had leftover. Don't really care that it's not SS since it'll eventually be replaced. Also noticed that the old "cheaper" flex pipe I'd been using before actually necked down to like 2.25-2" in the middle. Sprung for a vibrant flex pipe this time.

Here's the view looking down. It's tight but no problem tightening any of the O2 sensors.

I've got a handful of small projects getting finished up in the bay. I finally completed the catch can vent the way I intended. Plumbed it with fittings straight down through the sheet metal and will neatly run it down the frame to the back. I had previously just slapped it together with some spare hose and had it route down the firewall and headers... now it looks clean! If I have time I'll also reposition the coil pack harness connector behind the M3 covers - currently it's just hanging completely free right next to the headers. It's irritated me ever since I did the swap I just never bothered to take care of it.

Splitter v2 is going down tonight and I'll be at radwood on Saturday morning!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 12-06-2019, 12:35 PM.
            Shadetree30

Comment

Went to radwood two weeks ago. Weather was kinda crappy and the venue was muddy, but it was still a cool event. With better weather it wouldve been awesome. Here are 3 of the 10 highlights anddddd that's all I can share because tapatalk has informed me I reached my cap for number of photos I can share in a month as a a non-VIP member.... fucking assholes. This is how the forums die... I guess I'll get back to hosting from google photos. It was a bit of a hassle but oh well. In E30 news I'm finally tucking the engine ignition wire harness behind the firewall cover. Intended to do that 4-5 years ago when I finished the swap. Time flies. I'll probably also tackle the cold air intake into the driver high beam, that is unless I sort out the supercharger first. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
              Shadetree30

Comment

Some small updates.

Mostly been driving the car and working on the truck. Truck now has working brakes, working fuel supply and power steering. Sorting out cooling next...

Recent engine bay shot:

I finally tucked and trimmed the ignition harness. This has been on my to do list ever since I "finished" the swap. I bought a big set of "electrical connector pin tools" ages ago and they finally came in use! To start I depinned the connector and pulled the harness apart to see what I was working with.

I'm not scared.... snip snip

Planned

Wires extended out the rear of the harness cover. I also made a little aluminum plug for the old port off the side between #4 and #5

And done! I also added extra grounds for all the coil packs. I've been collecting those little ground straps from various junkyard trips until I had enough.

Started another fun e30 project.... supercharger. Mocking up placement in the old AC compressor location. The plan is to use the existing AC bracket, pulley and tensioner. That way the system runs separately from the main drive and I don't have to re engineer the whole thing. So far looks like a fairly simple bracket. The next challenge is to sort out the oil system. Rotrex clearly notes in their technical literature that no component of the oiling system should be elevated above the height of the center of the supercharger. That'll be an issue with the configuration I have in mind. I'll call them to get their advice. Not sure if this'll need some sort of an oil scavenge system or what...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 01-02-2020, 09:53 AM.
                Shadetree30

Comment

Oops slipped in some pics of other stuff....
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    Oops slipped in some pics of other stuff....
                    intentional added some comments to go with the photos
                    Shadetree30

Comment

I'll pipe up with some added info on the Rotrex oiling setup. I have a Jackson Racing C30 supercharger on my FRS for the past 20k. The reservoir for the fluid is slightly above the blower and I havent experienced any issues. JR has even tracked this setup with their SCCA build and havent had a failure.

Comment

Originally posted by amcp View Post
                        I'll pipe up with some added info on the Rotrex oiling setup. I have a Jackson Racing C30 supercharger on my FRS for the past 20k. The reservoir for the fluid is slightly above the blower and I havent experienced any issues. JR has even tracked this setup with their SCCA build and havent had a failure.
                        That's good to know. Their manual mentioned something about oil leaks... seems kinda odd to me. Maybe the supercharger doesn't like sitting in it's own hot oil when the car's off. Here's rotrex comment from the manual : "To prevent oil leaks it is of utmost importance that the oil cooler, oil filter and the oil canister with its cap are placed below or level with the supercharger shaft." At any rate, I've intended to mount the cooler and reservoir a good ~18" above the supercharger. So that's fairly significant. I want the supercharger down where the AC compressor goes, the cooler behind the kidney grills (to keep it away from destructive debris) and the reservoir next to my catch can for easy access.
                        Shadetree30

Comment

those extra ground wires on the coil packs are a sweet little touch! nothing better than more grounding.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                            those extra ground wires on the coil packs are a sweet little touch! nothing better than more grounding.
                            yea I read about some folks having issues in the FI arena years ago on bimmerforums (back when they were far more trafficked).... I've never had an obvious issue, but figured it can't hurt especially with my FI plans
                            Shadetree30

Comment

couple of questions for you:
                              1) The oil vent tube that comes out of the front driverside, you have a black hose coming off of that. What does that go to?

2) The coolant temp sender. How do you have your's setup? Your setup is OBD1 or 2?
                              1990 325is
                              m52b28
                              3.73lsd
                              g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

yea I read about some folks having issues in the FI arena years ago on bimmerforums (back when they were far more trafficked).... I've never had an obvious issue, but figured it can't hurt especially with my FI plans
                                How well grounded is that bracket on the cam cover, though?

Comment

Working...
                                X