Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can thank me for those Condor rocker wiring covers

Can't say as though I agree with removing the ABS, given your use of the car. Do you plan to run without it, or to swap in the MK60 system now?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
      You can thank me for those Condor rocker wiring covers

Can't say as though I agree with removing the ABS, given your use of the car. Do you plan to run without it, or to swap in the MK60 system now?
      Ha! Good man. I had a feeling you might've had something to do with it. You have my thanks.

As for ABS - here's my rationale:

- I don't have the budget right now to either refurbish the original system, or do the MK60 upgrade (nor do I have the time or interest to take on such a large scale project at the moment)
      - The ABS system currently is not working at all
      - My brakes are not performing as they should (and this is likely due to non functional ABS)

So given the choice between keeping non-functional ABS + underperforming brakes OR no ABS and good brakes, I'll at least take a fully operational brake system for the time being. So yea, I'll be running without it for a while. I very rarely drive it on the street these days, and when I do it's just an early morning canyon run + local cars and coffee. If I were driving it more regularly in traffic I'd be more concerned. Besides... I know a handful of porsche guys driving old 911s without it :p
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

Finished bundling and tucking wires. Finished the driver floor plate. Made a dead pedal. I am pleased with how the interior is turning out. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
        Shadetree30

Comment

Looking good.
          Pro tip, the wiring harness that's between the seat and the trans tunnel for the windows can be moved outta the way for a cleaner look. It can be routed through the channel in the chassis with the rest of the wire bundle then fed behind through the knee panel.
          I did it when I gutted one of my old cars.

Comment

Originally posted by amcp View Post
            Looking good.
            Pro tip, the wiring harness that's between the seat and the trans tunnel for the windows can be moved outta the way for a cleaner look. It can be routed through the channel in the chassis with the rest of the wire bundle then fed behind through the knee panel.
            I did it when I gutted one of my old cars.
            Thanks - yea I noticed that while I was organizing it. I was getting impatient with the whole process and just opted to clean it up and leave it as is for now. I'll reroute it sometime in the future. Like if I ever get around to spray coat the floors with lizardskin heat/sound deadening....
            Shadetree30

Comment

Damn. Didnt realize its been 2 months since I last updated. Lots to share. As usual the tapatalk photo upload is going to put them all out of order... I'll go back and edit with more comments later. See if you can guess the projects.

Bracket for mounting the dead pedal. It sandwiches the aluminum.

Driver panel getting finished. Monster countersink to mount the allen countersink bolts flush. Delrin to make stand-offs.

Went for a drive

Reminder of how nice the engine bay looks

Cockpit looking fresh

Small garage upgrade. Added a compressed air regulator and filter to the workbench with short hose for using air tools at the bench rather than tripping myself on my big hose. Put a mig torch holder too.

Small house project. Made floating shelves from some walnut wood. Put a bevel to match our "mid-century modern" style

More engine bay

More garage updates. Hung more air tools. And those are the floating shelved pre-finish

Finally time to replace my OG revshift swap mounts. I think they served me well over ~7years getting baked by the header. I know many have had their complaints/issue with revshift, but my experience was great. The mounts fit perfect.

Bigger photo of the whole workbench area. Really starting to come together.

Mishimoto radiator leaking... been slowly getting worse over the past 1-2 year. Not sure who's fault, mine or theirs. I had coolant pressure issues years ago. Good news is that it took 4 days, no questions asked and I already got a warrantied replacement.

So careful draining coolant not spilling a drop...... and then I kicked the bucket over when I shoved the jack under the car not looking...... DOH!!

Ground down the welds on my header to make it look a little more pretty

Leaking coolant extension drain. I'm just going to put a plug back in the block. This was really tight against the headers.

Little out of order, but this was pre grind

Repeat photo? Looks cool?

Final grinding on headers after the new flex joint was welded in place. Finger sander is a weapon.

Here's why I bothered grinding. Ceramic coated the headers inside and out. Also had the engine arms powdercoated silver.

Started making fender liners from spare 1/8" ABS

Inside the header ceramic copper

Pre-fender liner. ABS unit gone. Much more space.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 02-12-2021, 04:59 PM.
              Shadetree30

Comment

Always excellent work, as usual!
                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Looks like another Mishimoto Radiator warranty claim...
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    Seriously, note to self on what not to pruchase.

Comment

Seriously, note to self on what not to pruchase.
                      Yes... Idk what to think. The top and bottom caps were both slightly bowed which possibly indicates pressurization of coolant? Or maybe just low quality... I don't remember if I already replaced the rad after I had my head redone due to coolant pressure, or if this actually is the replacement.

At any rate, mishimoto sent me a brand new radiator which took 4 days start to finish from warranty claim submission, to new radiator on my porch. And I was going to drain the coolant anyway to replace my expansion tank and remove my leaking "block drain extension" (which is also in the way of the headers)
                      Shadetree30

Comment

I'm just leery of aftermarket parts that are "supposed" to be better over oem then stupid issues like this pop up. When you can roll an upgraded oem rad for yrs and not have issues.
                        When traveling to DEs that are 4-8hrs away from home I want my shit rock solid.
                        Dont wanna crap up your thread so I'll step off my soapbox.

Comment

Glad to hear that at least Mishimoto is quick with the replacement and that you were planning on draining it anyways, so not a huge PITA

Yes, you should be posting a thread about your cars anyways... why are you hiding the goodness from us. Are you ashamed of YOUR Bronzit car? lol

Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

What's the story with the revshift mounts? Bought a set myself recently because of their most recent redesign, but look exactly like these ones?
                            Originally posted by priapism
                            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                            Originally posted by shameson
                            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Glad to hear that at least Mishimoto is quick with the replacement and that you were planning on draining it anyways, so not a huge PITA
                              Yes, you should be posting a thread about your cars anyways... why are you hiding the goodness from us. Are you ashamed of YOUR Bronzit car? lol
                              Yea, hahaha you guys seem more upset about it than I am at this point. I'm really not irritated at all. The warranty replacement was my only trepidation, but it couldn't have been easier.

More bronzit!!

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                              What's the story with the revshift mounts? Bought a set myself recently because of their most recent redesign, but look exactly like these ones?
                              I've had them on the car since I did the swap and I have enjoyed great performance from them. Fit was spot on too. It's just time to replace them at around 7 years age. That one in the photo was from the driver side

I'm just leery of aftermarket parts that are "supposed" to be better over oem then stupid issues like this pop up. When you can roll an upgraded oem rad for yrs and not have issues.
                              When traveling to DEs that are 4-8hrs away from home I want my shit rock solid.
                              Doesn't bother me at all. Years ago when I bought it I did so because of the budget allure and warranty. To be fair it also didn't all-of-a-sudden spring leaks... it's been slow leaking and getting progressively worse for about a year.
                              Shadetree30

Comment

I really like what you've done with the floor and pedal area.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Working...
                                X