No announcement yet.

#BecauseRaceCar Story and Build - M60 6-spd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, that's correct. All of these shocks are the same, BC Racing/K-sport/FortuneAuto/Broadway/D2/Megan/etc etc, and none of them are built with track applications in mind. They have shitty cast pistons, the adjusters have 30 clicks of adjustment and only the first few actually do anything, they also adjust compression and rebound simultaneously which works on a street car because it just makes the shock "feel" stiffer, but you would never do this when fine tuning a race car. The biggest issue for someone tracking their car and trying to get better is repeatability and consistency, and these just don't have it. I'm not trying to say these are bad shocks, they work just fine for street cars and 80% of users on this forum, but if you are looking for something to run hard on the track, learn about your car/setup you need to look elsewhere... These will end up holding you back sooner than later.

As far as your cars issues, what do you have on it now and what rates? What is the car actually doing? Have you had the car scaled and aligned? I think with the package you have now, some setup time, a good set of shocks and a lot of track time would yield a really fast car. That MX-5 I posted makes ~220whp, runs 225/45 Continental slicks (not very sticky, endurance compound), weigh 2650, and has ZERO aero... and I can guarantee you it's not running BC's :)
    - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

This was on Ground control/koni's. Was your buddy that blew his shocks at 10k miles running them on the bumpstops?

A buddy of mine works in the aftermarket automotive industry. A few years ago at a trade show a coil over manufacturer from taiwan had a booth with a bunch of pretty shocks annodized in a bunch of different colors. The guy in the booth told my friend "any color you want, and car you want, we make it"

Then about 6 months later BC/D2/megan etc all started introducing sub $1k coil over kits.
      My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

I have ground control shorty springs 14/10 with Bilsteins.
        sigpic
        The "Because Race Car" M60 V8 Build Thread
        On Instagram Straight Flexin' #BecauseRaceCar

Comment

Do you have GC camber plates in the front and are your housings shortened?

Your spring rates aren't balanced for an e30 and your fronts are probably more than what stock valved Bilsteins can control.
          - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

This was done on GC and Koni's

Get Koni's, than you just got to play around with spring rate and sway at until it's right. These Koni's are 10yrs old. They aren't blown. We've only had one replaced because it was leaking a bit.

Comment

no camber plates, I have a couple of other springs, just need some time to start playing around with them. lol
              sigpic

Comment

Come out to Thunderhill May 7 with OnGrid. I'll be there with my m50 powered e30 on CATuned. I think these are pretty killer coilovers to be honest. Just so you have a comparison. Plus I want to go for a drive in your car! Haha

Comment

Originally posted by ncrmtrsprtsE30 View Post
                  no camber plates, I have a couple of other springs, just need some time to start playing around with them. lol
                  Ok, yeah... You need camber plates, for sure. Having the aero stuff you've done and not having camber plates is pretty backwards. Pretty much is sounds like you only have GC sleeves and springs, and I doubt you bought that spring combo from GC because they would not have sold you those spring rates and eibach doesn't use KG/mm. Saying GC is garbage when you didn't really buy their setup kinda sucks. Get some camber plates, step up the rear spring rates, and go from there. I do think you'll need to upgrade shocks at some point though

Again, CAtuned is ok for the money. But the dampers are not built to the requirements that a track/race-oriented setup would be.
                  - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

I see these complaints about GC's all the time, If people did the math first or let the guy at GC do the math to get you the right setup there wouldn't be any issue.
                    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                    willschnitz

Comment

Had one more run with my current setup.. it did very well at laguna. definitely bottoming out my suspension tho, the scraping you hear are my ABS side skirts hitting the track. no biggie lol did get flagged for being too loud. once for 94db, and once for 93db. had to put a 90 elbow on the exhaust and point it away from the meter. lol

the first run in the morning were with wet tires, then i went to slicks when it was sunny and dry. perfect day out there on monday.

its now time to start the tear down of all the suspension.

a few pics:

sigpic

Comment

That just looks so damn good.
                        C6Z
                        S2K
                        VeloN

Comment

Did i miss the burnout video? :p
                          My Garage
                          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

This car turned out awesome. Good job. Too many things I like about it. I really like that duck bill. Do you still have a crown royal shift boot? This car deserves a good shift boot.
                            How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Looks awesome running around the track!

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Sick dude. This thing turned out awesome and I'm sure it's a blast. I like the "laguna pipe" as well. I have seen some crazy creations on 911s to turn the sound away. Keep up the good thread!

Comment

Working...
                                X