The ups and downs of a 2.7L Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
    Shit that intercooler looks mean behind the grills :)

Good call on the drain line, Even a small low spot can do strange things. Out of curiosity, why vent your VC through the separator and then back in to your intake? Why not just vent to atmosphere?
    Thanks! The catch can is routed back into the intake because I was/am having issues with burning oil during decel. I thought it was due to pressurizing the crank case initially so I was trying to pull vacuum with the intake, but I think that was a result of some other underlying issue...

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
    this made me laugh in the office...LOLOL!

This build looks like so much fun! much respect! Would love to see the beast in person!
    Thanks! I'm still working out some kinks but its a blast to drive! I'll bring it out to some local meets sooner or later lol.
    2.7i Stroker Turbo Build Thread

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

Copying these posts over from my other thread to get more visibility...

So I got back from my road trip last week. The engine still burns a considerable amount of oil, but from what my friends tell me when driving behind me it doesn't burn oil under boost. This got me thinking that maybe the m20 needs a constant vacuum source on the crank case. So I came up with an idea to achieve that by modifying my current oil catch can setup.

Here is a crude diagram:

Boomba Racing makes a 3/8" barb check valve which are the boxes inline in the diagram. This would allow the intake manifold to pull vacuum during cruising and decel, just like the stock system. When making boost, the valve inline to the manifold closes and the valve inline to the turbo inlet opens pulling vacuum during acceleration.

Post from last night:

So I ordered the boomba check valves and just finished installing them. As far as I can tell, its fixed and runs great! :) After a pull in the tunnels and watching to see if it dumped oil smoke during decel like it did before the install, the exhaust looks clean. I'm going to drive it to work tomorrow to to check the exhaust in daylight to double check.

Post from this morning:

Welp just got done driving it to work. I think the check valves helped, but it still poops oil smoke during decel in the higher rpms... Not as much as before, but definitely pooping oil smoke. I'm lost at this point. Don't know where to go from here...

HELP!?!?

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

Great build. Love that the first thing you do is take it on a road trip. Inspiring for my build. Planning a turbo this winter, then want to take a road trip next summer. Glad to see in not the only crazy person who plans something like this.
        sigpic
        Project: 87' 325iS... 325iS
        88 Alpine 325i
        1/2 88 325iX

Comment

Originally posted by dugly52 View Post
          Great build. Love that the first thing you do is take it on a road trip. Inspiring for my build. Planning a turbo this winter, then want to take a road trip next summer. Glad to see in not the only crazy person who plans something like this.
          Haha thanks! It sure was a test of my wrenching abilities, but other than the oil burning everything worked well and held up. The trip was amazing, I would def recommend doing a road trip! Just stay off the interstates as much as possible. The best driving roads are highways and back roads.

Biggest piece of advice I can give is keep your eye on the prize. Otherwise its too easy to get frustrated and lose motivation.

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

Bummed that your options didn't work out completely for you.

This seems to be a popular problem on m20's and I'd also like to find a solution.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

awesome project, sorry to hear about that issue, totally sucks especially on a trip

experiment with a few different oils.

awesome project. Just slapped a head on my b25 block so I was curious how you prepped yours. I ended up using a flat plane sander 16 inchs long with 320grit wet sandpaper.

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                Bummed that your options didn't work out completely for you.

This seems to be a popular problem on m20's and I'd also like to find a solution.
                Yeah same... I did some reading around and I believe the valve stems or seals were either not replaced by the head builder or he did a terrible job installing them. Burning oil during engine braking is a sign of pulling oil past the valve seals because of the vacuum that the engine creates when the throttle is closed. I believe the check valve system I made would work really well on a healthy head though since it acts like the stock system under vacuum, yet also incorporates a system to pull vacuum under boost. Might be worth giving it a try if you are having similar issues.

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                awesome project, sorry to hear about that issue, totally sucks especially on a trip

experiment with a few different oils.

awesome project. Just slapped a head on my b25 block so I was curious how you prepped yours. I ended up using a flat plane sander 16 inchs long with 320grit wet sandpaper.
                Thanks! Yeah it was a bummer. I was sorta afraid of getting on it too much because of the oil burn issue, but it was still a great trip! We drove on some amazing roads and saw some absolutely beautiful scenery.

I think I'll try some 10W-40 in it when I change the oil soon. I'm just slightly worried about high oil pressures with a 40 weight oil though.

To prep my block I used a nylon abrasive wheel in a die grinder to clean off the old head gasket material and the carbon buildup on the piston tops. I was slightly worried about the the wheel messing with the sealing surfaces of the block but the engine has solid compression and the oil and coolant haven't mixed. Ultimately iron and aluminum are harder than nylon so it makes since that it worked.
                Last edited by cleanasse30; 09-04-2015, 03:23 PM.

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

Originally posted by cleanasse30 View Post
                  I think I'll try some 10W-40 in it when I change the oil soon. I'm just slightly worried about high oil pressures with a 40 weight oil though.
                  Are you implying that you're running 30 weight now? why so thin?
                  Originally posted by priapism
                  My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                  Originally posted by shameson
                  Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Yeah I'm running 5W-30 right now. Idk I guess I just defaulted to that as that's what I ran NA. It's due for an oil change so I'll try some synthetic 10W-40 next

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

Nice build. Burning oil on decel like that sounds like valve stem seals to me.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 3-17

Comment

I feel like a 50 weight oil would do you well (at least during the summer), although I get that 40 weight synthetics are much easier to come across.
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Scored some minty sport seats this weekend!

If I have time this week I'm going to switch to a 10W-40 oil and see how that goes. Thanks for the suggestions!

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                            I feel like a 50 weight oil would do you well (at least during the summer), although I get that 40 weight synthetics are much easier to come across.
                            So I guess I've never read the owners manual of the e30 since I bought it...

:stupidsign:

I didn't realize it calls for a 20W-50 basically year round where I live and I've been putting 5W-30 in it since I owned it I just ordered some Mobil 1 15W-50 synthetic which should get here today so I'll change the oil and see if that fixes the problem.

90 325i | 95 Miata

Comment

Great build ! I bet driving her down the coast was a blast !
                              1990 Alpine 325is
                              1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

I have always had pretty great luck with conventional 15w-40 diesel oil. It has higher detergent content which is good for our old motors (when m20's were designed, all oils had higher detergent content I'm told).

Keep at it bro, looks great!
                                Originally posted by Andy.B
                                Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                                1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                                ~~~~~~~~~~
                                I was born on 3/25…
                                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X