1990 325is restomod project aka "Klaus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wworm View Post
    Why not right after the headers? Not entirely sure why you're adding a merge, but if its for sound reasons the closest to the headers is where I've read/heard its most effective at numbing the rasp. Totally only limited to keyboard wisdom here, so feel free to tell me otherwise.

Stoked to see so much progress being made on this build too
    Merging right behind the headers leaves torque on the table due to exhaust harmonics. Also, I'm pretty sure the stock s54 mid section merged fairly far back as well if I'm not mistaken.
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

interesting. Makes sense
      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
        Merging right behind the headers leaves torque on the table due to exhaust harmonics. Also, I'm pretty sure the stock s54 mid section merged fairly far back as well if I'm not mistaken.
        You are correct on both counts. There are a few people that merged to early with adverse effects.
        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Spoke to the guys today they are adding the xpipe in behind the cats :)

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW;4928791Question
            , did you buy a new firewall grommet or did you rob the one off your original M20 harness? Were you able to stretch it over the ECU harness plug? I'll need to do mine this weekend.
            Check my thread out too if you want, but I was able to fit all the wiring, and 2 additional sets of relay wiring I added along with wideband O2 wiring in my grommet. Just soap it up!

Here's my pic of the wiring which is going back in.....

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
              Check my thread out too if you want, but I was able to fit all the wiring, and 2 additional sets of relay wiring I added along with wideband O2 wiring in my grommet. Just soap it up!

Here's my pic of the wiring which is going back in.....
              Thanks, I have been following your thread, its awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                Spoke to the guys today they are adding the xpipe in behind the cats :)
                Nice!! Are they going to tune/dyno the car for you as well?

Comment

Nice!! Are they going to tune/dyno the car for you as well?
                  Yep, we will do a baseline of the car as is once it's running. Then tune than a dyno after the tune as well.

I will post both. He was in agreement that the merge should be behind the cats, he has seen a few S54s with merge right after the headers and the power loss was pretty great.

Comment

Yep, we will do a baseline of the car as is once it's running. Then tune than a dyno after the tune as well.

I will post both. He was in agreement that the merge should be behind the cats, he has seen a few S54s with merge right after the headers and the power loss was pretty great.
                    Awesome, I can't wait! I'm watching with heavy anticipation (as I'm sure many of us are). If I found a good deal on an S54 out here I wouldn't hesitate to start refreshing it for a swap someday. If you hear of anything around let me know.

Comment

total drool fest. such a clean swap... some crazy cool swap parts too. love that you're keeping ac.

pass side header is really close to the steering rack boot though. are you adding any heat shielding?

can't wait to see this beast in person.
                      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                        total drool fest. such a clean swap... some crazy cool swap parts too. love that you're keeping ac.

pass side header is really close to the steering rack boot though. are you adding any heat shielding?

can't wait to see this beast in person.
                        Looks closer then it is. It's about the same distance as the stock ones. I will take some measurements.

Comment

Curious what your ground clearance is at the collector flanges?

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
                            Curious what your ground clearance is at the collector flanges?
                            They are slightly lower than the oil pan on one side by a few MM. I will measure it, but I dont think it will be a problem because its higher then the original E30 Oil Pan was.

If I scrape that then I am pretty close to scrapping the oil pan as well which would be bad.

I am lowered but not slammed. See if I can get some pics with the car on the ground underneath.

Comment

Subed!

Very sweet build. Are you going to use the stock E30 fan with the E46 PWM controller for the A/C?

Comment

Originally posted by masterofnone View Post
                                Subed!

Very sweet build. Are you going to use the stock E30 fan with the E46 PWM controller for the A/C?
                                I was but my stock fan was busted up a little, so I am going to use a spal fan as an aux with the E46 PWM.

Comment

Working...
                                X