No announcement yet.

84 euro gray market rebirth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume you are referring to the white plastic clip shown just behind the clutch softline in this picture, correct?

My car doesn't have those studs all the way to the front of the car. They are above the gas tank as shown here:

I'll just look for some kind a bracket that I can attach to the brake line and run the vacuum line that way.
    sigpic
    84 323i

Comment

more boring stuff...

I noticed that the car looks like it was in a fender bender on the driver at some point in its life. I have no record of this and it doesn't look like it was too drastic but good opportunity to prevent further rust.

I coated anything that showed any surface rust in the engine bay in preparation for rattle-canning the bay. I may have gone a little overboard.

I cutoff the driver-side tow-hook to get it ready for the mtech valance I've been holding on to for a few years now.

I removed the rear bumper so that I could test fit the mtech valance and check for anything out of sorts. I did find some bubbled/broken paint in the textured area behind/below the bumper. Luckily no rust has started there yet but I removed the bubbled/broken paint...ouch and put a coat of paint over it temporarily and will have this addressed when I get the mtech kit prepped and painted.

This was painful...I wasn't expecting any issues under the bumper. The car was repainted just before I bought it back in 2000 and I assumed all was good with the paint now.

I'm so ready to start putting new stuff on this car and be done with this boring stuff...but I know it will pay off later in peace of mind.

On to painting the engine bay.

I had a can of single-stage Saphire Blue Metallic mixed up at a local paint shop I've used in the past for a couple other cars. After hitting the engine bay, it looked a little dark. I let it cure for a bit and it definitely was off.

I headed back to the paint shop and got a new can mixed up and it is closer but still not dead on...old paint isn't the easiest thing to match. I think it is close enough that it won't chap my ass every time I open the hood.

Cleaning and more cleaning. I ordered new rubber fuel lines and even though I ordered based on vin, this one formed line doesn't match what is currently on the car.

Not sure if there as a change mid-year or what. I know that I replaced this hose about 7 years ago but now the part number comes up with this shorty version. I moved the absorber thing and made it work...looks a little better now all cleaned up.

Next up, battery cable relocation. Cheers.
      sigpic
      84 323i

Comment

You sure are making some good progress, David! Let me know if you need a hand with any of the big stuff. I now work about 5-8 minutes away from your house.

I've always loved saphireblau. One of the more uncommon colors to see over here, for sure.
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

nice build

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
            Very nice! I missed this build up until now, but it looks like fun! Hopefully we'll get to see it on the roads soon :)
            Thanks and looking to have this wrapped up soon-ish so I can enjoy the car this summer.

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
            You sure are making some good progress, David! Let me know if you need a hand with any of the big stuff. I now work about 5-8 minutes away from your house.

I've always loved saphireblau. One of the more uncommon colors to see over here, for sure.
            Thanks Austin, I may take you up on that. Progress will slow next week as I'm starting a new job. You don't see many around in this color...there used to be the twin to my car in Tacoma but I think it sold ~10 years ago and dropped out of site.

Originally posted by efficient View Post
            nice build
            Thanks man.
            sigpic
            84 323i

Comment

Completed the battery cable relocation today. My car was built in August of 84 and it has a full size battery compartment unlike some of the other early cars.

Prep

cable routing

Pulling that cable and grommet through was a bitch; glad that is behind me.

I also got the hardlines, fuel hoses and tank back on the car.

It's nice to actually put something back on the car. Hoping to get some more time on it this week.
              sigpic
              84 323i

Comment

This is very thorough, I love it. Looks amazing.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Your trunk had space for a full size?! When was yours produced? Mine was a July 9 1984 birthday, 3 days before my 3rd birthday. Mine didnt have one, but a Miata battery fits perfectly
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    Your trunk had space for a full size?! When was yours produced? Mine was a July 9 1984 birthday, 3 days before my 3rd birthday. Mine didnt have one, but a Miata battery fits perfectly
                    Yep a fullsize fits; mine was built on August 14, 1984.
                    sigpic
                    84 323i

Comment

Crazy, Ive noticed there are some early early things on mine and some not so early early things. Looks like they were making changes fairly frequently.
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Long overdue for a post. Did some work on the rear end over the last couple weeks. I picked up a 3.25lsd that was freshly resealed and has a new mount but needed a little love.

Shop work always goes better a G&T.

An it's back in...

Just waiting for my rebuilt calipers to finish up the rear end. Next up is the front end.
                        sigpic
                        84 323i

Comment

amazing build! love the details!
                          The Current Army
                          -(UnderConstruction) 1991 330iS 24v S52 build thread
                          -1992 325iC
                          -1987 E30 Truck
                          -1991 332iS (BecauseRacecar)
                          -1988 Dinan M3
                          -1988 325iX Tribute car
                          -1989 320i Touring (S52/6spd)

Comment

Damn, I've been looking for a 3.25! Where'd you find it?

Comment

I picked it up from 318isbmw (brendan) up north last summer. You may want to reach out to him, I think he was rebuilding a few others but I'm unsure of the ratio.
                              sigpic
                              84 323i

Comment

Although a M20 in a fresh engine bay looks amazing, im sure the S50 will be more fun. Great build :up:

COTM

Comment

Working...
                                X