No announcement yet.

The Journey of Linda and Friends - the M20b31 Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I forget, is that measurement from the exhaust port or the end of the headers?

That's interesting. Consistency of equipment is probably a factor. I wonder if knowing the transport delay is easier that way for some reason.

Side note: I was totally ready to go MS2 until I saw you say that SSSquid might be able to get rid of the AFM with a chip. Now I'm debating. Also, I'm really interested to see your results with the SSSpacer.
    '87 5-speed 325is
    The best $750 I ever spent!

Are you in Michigan?
    Do you want to know where all the E30's are?
    Try checking out the Michigan E30 Map

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyJew89 View Post
      I forget, is that measurement from the exhaust port or the end of the headers?

That's interesting. Consistency of equipment is probably a factor. I wonder if knowing the transport delay is easier that way for some reason.

Side note: I was totally ready to go MS2 until I saw you say that SSSquid might be able to get rid of the AFM with a chip. Now I'm debating. Also, I'm really interested to see your results with the SSSpacer.
      From the collectors!

And the AFR readings haven’t been far off from each other in my experience other than having a bad AEM 02 sensor (they failed constantly on my Evo).

And yeah I sold my MS2 to Bradnic. The Squid man has a true MAF conversion available (unlike Miller’s chip MAF), so you can run an M50 MAF on a stock car/chip if you please.

Depending on if he has them back in stock by the time my intake gets fabricated or not will determine whether I go MAF or just keep the AFM.

I just want the car to be finished so I am currently taking the path of least resistance to get there, rather than spending weeks of time I don’t have messing with Megasquirt.
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
        And yeah I sold my MS2 to Bradnic. The Squid man has a true MAF conversion available (unlike Miller’s chip MAF), so you can run an M50 MAF on a stock car/chip if you please.
        Yeah, I need to e-mail him. I'm curious how he is doing it differently than Miller

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
        I just want the car to be finished so I am currently taking the path of least resistance to get there, rather than spending weeks of time I don’t have messing with Megasquirt.
        I know the feeling. I've got parts ready to bolt on, but don't have confidence in the stock ECU tune handling it well.
        '87 5-speed 325is

Are you in Michigan?

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyJew89 View Post

Yeah, I need to e-mail him. I'm curious how he is doing it differently than Miller

I know the feeling. I've got parts ready to bolt on, but don't have confidence in the stock ECU tune handling it well.
          Shoot him an email! He custom designed and built a PCB, and coded a microprocessor to do a realMAF or MAP conversion as opposed to Miller which is just sending out a MAF signal with some poor tuning to compensate.

His kit used an M50 MAF, but he's been working on developing a custom MAF to include with the kits.

And yeah, it's definitely a conversation to be had, regarding running a standalone vs a tuned stock ECU. I think there are pluses and minuses to both, but the more aggressive your setup is, the more things point to running a standalone.

Comment

Squid base tune and 24# injectors are in! The car is running great. Upon installing the injectors I found a small break in wire shielding- I am glad I caught that before it gave me issues.

The issue preventing me from driving it currently is that the cooling system will not take more than a gallon of coolant. Once I solve that issue, I can take it for a spin!

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Idle vid with the t00n. Still lopey, but very stable and tamed down a bit.

Comment

YES!!! Man that thing sounds great. Did you pull the upper rad hose and fill the block? I find that minimizes air lock and allows for an almost perfect fill (along with filling through the expansion tank).

Comment

That sounds amazing. Looking forward to some dyno results.
                '87 5-speed 325is

Are you in Michigan?

Comment

Awesome sauce dude! Can’t wait to see it on the road!

Comment

Thank you, gents!

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                    Did you pull the upper rad hose and fill the block? I find that minimizes air lock and allows for an almost perfect fill (along with filling through the expansion tank).
                    I first filled the block through the thermostat housing, then the radiator through the upper rad hose, and then filled the rest of the way through the overflow.

The car then boiled the coolant, but at least now I have circulation.

Frustrating, but "you'll have that on these big jobs".

I did not pursue further action, yet. I'm hoping it is magically bled when I revisit this weekend so I can take this thing out on a cruise.

We also went from running perfectly to not idling at all overnight, so there's that to sort out as well.

Comment

Had the pleasure of hearing this thing run (in the workshop with open headers 😆). Pretty indescribable, unless you’ve ever stood next to a Trans-Am car or Pro4 truck doing engine warm up in the garage. It’s that level of rudeness! Sure to be subdued slightly by the exhaust build, but will hopefully keep all the character without making children cry. Throttle response is ITB-sequence too. Absolutely bananas

Overall build is fantastic and can’t wait to see this thing out on the road.

Awesome job, Mr BOB

Comment

Originally posted by Matt@EDC View Post
                        Had the pleasure of hearing this thing run (in the workshop with open headers 😆). Pretty indescribable, unless you’ve ever stood next to a Trans-Am car or Pro4 truck doing engine warm up in the garage. It’s that level of rudeness! Sure to be subdued slightly by the exhaust build, but will hopefully keep all the character without making children cry. Throttle response is ITB-sequence too. Absolutely bananas

Overall build is fantastic and can’t wait to see this thing out on the road.

Awesome job, Mr BOB
                        woooohooo! we're almost to burnouts and fun here soon

---------

One huge thing that I have been anticipated for ages is finished- the exhaust! A buddy bailed that was supposed to do the exhaust after so many shops bailed on me, but he sent me to a guy who ended up being incredibly kind/talented and fairly priced, so I'd say it was worth the wait. If you're close to Indy, the shop is Full Force Fabrication. He also made my intake bracket as well for the dbilas airbox.

He let me adjust the valves and retorque the head at his shop too, before my drive home! Have about 100 miles on it so far.

This is IE Stage 2 long tubes, 32" after collectors of dual 2.25" into a magnaflow Y Pipe converting system to single 2.5", into a Vibrant Ultra Quiet, into a Magnaflow 14815 muffler. I think it sounds fantastic.

Issues I'm having: See smoke, car is running crazy rich still, has a 1211 code for the DME/Chip, misfires bad at 5500, and doesn't idle (randomly idled perfect for exhaust video, though). Overall something is unhappy. Going to grab another ECU to test.

Right click 3rd picture (open in new tab) for exhaust video!

Comment

that intake sound

Comment

YESSSSS!!! Sounds great, such a milestone. I can't wait to see and hear this thing.

Comment

Once you get the drivability sorted I got to make it to Indy and check things out!

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by luckybk View Post
                                that intake sound
                                I am quite happy with the dbilas intake outside of fitment. Sounds killer!!! but the fitment was very meh

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                                YESSSSS!!! Sounds great, such a milestone. I can't wait to see and hear this thing.
                                Yes!! Come up to Reggies this Saturday with the wreck, it's his open house, and a ton of E30s will be present!

​​​​
                                Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                                Once you get the drivability sorted I got to make it to Indy and check things out!
                                Would love to take you for a rip once she's ironed out.

JakeB is coming down from MI to hang for a few days and attend Reggies open house on Saturday. He is bringing along a few secret goodies for Linda, along with expertise to help get it running proper. I'll update more about that when it happens.

Plug foulin cruisin'

Washin'

Ended up doing a light polish with sonax perfect finish, and coated with some hybrid ceramic to seal it up from UV death. The paint is largely tired, but it's perfect for cruising and not caring. Don't mind my workbench of a thousand parts.

Last edited by AWDBOB; 06-17-2021, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X