Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kelso's Cvilized(?) 325ic

Howdy,

Picked up a 1987 325ic in the most obnoxious red imaginable because I can't help myself. Normally I'm into Nissans, but I guess it's time I diversify my expenditures.

Bought the car a few weeks ago. Still has temporary tags. Vanity plates are in the mail; because if you're going to drive an audaciously red 30 year old car with 200k miles, you need to have a vanity plate.

Picked it up from the shop with its brand new top today. Sorry the HD absolutely wrecked some of these photos.

Oh, it's also kind of a rice-car. People feel very comfortable telling me they don't like the body kit, which is fine, just be ready for me to tell you I'm not a huge fan of your haircut. It came with this car, and the PO said he bought the car with it on 14 years ago. Skirts and rear wing may go eventually.

Had to pull in next to my dad's car to complete the euro convertible look

Rented a garage with my dad and two buddies to play with our toys and whatnot.

Here it is the day I got it home parked on the curb next to aforementioned "whatnot"

Plans are to drive it when my s12 is down for maintenance/upgrades and eventually do a top end refresh, replace transmission (got some whine), then look into applying mild boost. Don't need to go too crazy there. That's what the S12 is for.
    Last edited by Kelso840; 10-26-2016, 10:27 AM. Reason: Broken Photos

You have a very very nice finger.
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
      You have a very very nice finger.
      Thanks homie. Been working on my phalanges. Glad you noticed.

Comment

You got a pretty hand, boy.
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
          You got a pretty hand, boy.
          Kids, don't let these comments from the proletariat about my fine hands dissuade you from a career in upper management.

Yes, they are fine hands. Damn fine hands.

Comment

Rock the outrageous body kit dude. It's totally 80s.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
              Rock the outrageous body kit dude. It's totally 80s.
              Gonna rock it until everything else is just how I like it. A little worried about what I'll find underneath if I were to take it off anyway, so on it stays.

P.S. I fixed those photos that weren't working.

Comment

Pretty sure I fried my ECU last weekend trying to swap the chip for one that came with the car. Should have stopped what I was doing and re-installed the "stock" ECU when I saw it already had an AC Schnitzer chip installed. Oh well.

Got another stock ECU on the way, and what I thought was an ECU with Schnitzer chip installed but may turn out to be just the chip. No biggie.

Is there anything I should be looking for if the replacement ECU doesn't immediately bring the car back to life? I keep reading about the DME relay, could I have roasted that as well? Just trying to think ahead so I'm not standing around scratching my ass once the parts come in.

Comment

Thankfully the new ECU did it. Car is reassembled and running again.

Now that it's parked for the winter I get to consider suspension. Any tried and true recommendations for a comfortable but spirited shock and spring combos?

Comment

This car has been sitting for four years. Finally lost second gear, and instead of doing the smart thing and replacing a transmission, I bought a trans and turbo kit from a member here and took a good 3 years to slap it together to where it is today. It will start and run poorly on a stock ECU as long as you give it a bit of gas.

Yesterday I learned that my used MSPNP2 won't talk to my laptop. I've ordered a new cable, but I doubt that will fix it.

Today we moved the car from my garage to the shop. Here's how she sits.I'm hoping to get this car finished this spring/summer.

Comment

Alright, So I've made some progress but am now exceptionally stuck and confused. Filmed a brief video today detailing what's going on with the car.

I'm 1000% serious about paying whoever gives me the winning tip $20. Any and all guesses are welcome, and thanks in advance for playing.

Comment

Is the fuel pressure regulator building pressure in the rail? If it has failed, your IPW will look right in MS but it will have next to no fuel pressure so it will be dead lean.
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I believe it is working. I replaced it with a spare and the situation didn't change.

I'll be plumbing in a pressure gauge soon just to be sure.

Comment

Bumping my own thread with the plea I just sent to DIYAutotue. I'll upload the tune and logs if I can figure out how.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Gang,

I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out why my car is no longer running after a trip to the exhaust shop. I haven't called to ask them if they welded anything with the battery on, but I'm running out of ideas as to what my problem might be.

I'm attaching 2 logs:
                            7-18-20 was a day or so before it went to the exhaust shop. It was driving nicely considering the open downpipe and my general inexperience with MS tuning.

8-5-20 is a log after the car was towed home from the exhaust shop for clutch related reasons. The slave cylinder was failing and leaking out during the week it was at the shop. I did hear the car run at the exhaust shop, so I can't be sure when exactly the operational state changed.

The car is an e30 with a hodgepodge turbo kit, used MS2PNP, and was running on TRE 80lb injectors.

I'm also attaching the tune it was running at the time. There's bound to be major issues with it, so feel free to laugh.

I've since tried a fresh base map, spare crank position sensor, adjusting the variable resistor on the MS board, sent test pulses to both banks of injectors, checked fuel pressure, confirmed spark at the coil and all cylinders, swapped in a spare distributor rotor and housing, etc...

One thing I don't fully understand is seeing 12V at pin 19 on the DME connector with the key in the "On" position where I expect to find continuity to ground. Unless that's a DME controlled ground?

Do y'all offer some kind of testing service? At this point I'd gladly toss the MS2 in the mail and pay you guys some money for peace of mind.

I know I'm throwing a lot at you. Trying to get it all on the table for digestion. Thanks for taking the time to read, and I eagerly await any thoughts or test suggestions I should consider.

Here's a video of the issue and some light begging: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN_v9VhwdJw&t=30s

Comment

+12V on pin 19? Pin 19 goes straight to the strut tower ground, G103. Is it possible this was disconnected from the strut tower and placed on the battery terminal? That would be unfortunate. Verify allpower and ground connections in that area because they are easily confused, putting G103 on the battery or a black power wire on the strut tower usually burns the harness at least partially and would likely damage the MS as well. Brown grounds and black positives; gotta love the Germans. The chugging of the engine running on one or two cylinders reminds me of what happens when the wrong spark A output pin was selected in tunerstudio on a car I tuned once, but that is unlikely to be your issue if no tune edits were made.

Click image for larger version  Name:	G103.jpg Views:	0 Size:	104.1 KB ID:	9949759

The admin of this forum should allow the upload of tune files as attachments, it would be a useful feature.
                              Last edited by varg; 09-09-2020, 07:56 AM.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              [CoTM: 4-18]
                              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                              - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
                              X