Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potatomash
    replied
    Looks good man, one thing I'd say is heatsoak. Warm starts were an issue for ages with mine, kept leaning out big time, tried heaps of air temp sensor placement and still did it. In the end I used EGO correction to get the idle pinned under any temp. Just something you'll come across at some point I'm sure..

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Thanks!

The videos should be working now.

Leave a comment:

• zwill23
    replied
    Your videos are private!

Nice work on the megasquirt install, the early model intake manifold cap is very clever. Much cleaner looking than the barb that is typically added.

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Update time!

I've been working on installing my Megasquirt for the last few weeks, but work has been busy so it was going slowly. I did pick up a new set of wheels! I found a good deal on a set of 17x8" square, forged M-System II's. WITH TURBINE COVERS! The wheels are straight, but they need to be refinished. I actually don't have any pics of them yet. They are heavier than my Style 4's, and I am not sure how tire selection is for 17's for an E30. These may end up just being "street wheels." I'd still like to find a set of ultra-light wheels for the track to replace the Style 4's.

I have the Dederic Motorsport plug-n-play MS2 kit, which is really nice. It has adapters for everything, so no cutting re-wiring has to be done, and it's easy to convert back to Motronic if needed. It uses the stock O2 sensor plug for the wideband (Spartan 2), and has a wiring adapter + plate for the E36 variable TPS, and a wiring adapter to use the stock AFM plug for the MAP sensor and IAT sensor.

The Microsquirt-based unit is built into an E36 ABS housing, with the same 55 pin connector. The ABS unit can mount right up to the stock ECU location with a little creative rearranging of the stock speed nuts (it uses 3 instead of 4, and the spacing is different).

One of the GM 3-bar MAP sensors I got in the mail was cracked open. DIYAutotune replaced it no problem:

I had an AFM delete pipe welded up and powder coated. I also sourced an early model intake manifold vacuum cap that has the extra vacuum port on it (I think for L-Jetronic?). I routed the silicone vacuum line below the manifold, and mounted it along the stock wiring harness bracket under the manifold. It's accessible, but pretty well hidden.

The car fired right up with the Megasquirt base tune. After some basic calibration, the car will idle, but it's quite rich. Going to get it tuned pretty soon. Other than the AFM delete tube, you would never know that the car isn't running Motronic any longer.

Running two widebands, one for the gauge, one for the ECU. I like the redundancy.

Other misc stuff. Condor drilled door handles for extra scene points.

Did a track day in October. Nothing to report, other than I did my best time at PBIR, with a passenger in the car actually!

Last edited by Digitalwave; 11-07-2022, 11:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Happy Thanksgiving all. I really need to update this thread over the weekend. I've got videos, dyno'd the car, been installing the Megasquirt, bought some new wheels... ;D

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
    Did you have to roll your front fenders to fit the 225/45s on the 16x8 et18? How much room do you have from the tire to the fender? I'm setting up a similar wheel/tire combo at the moment, but have a 10mm spacer (putting me at et13) and am trying to figure out if 225/45s will fit.

Your car is awesome!
    Thanks man! The front fenders are totally stock, haven't touched them at all. One of our autocross courses is extremely bumpy, and I also like to attack the curbs on the track as much as I can. They have never rubbed at all in the front. I have about 2.1* of camber and the ride height is about 12.25-12.5" from the center of the hub to the fender lip in the front (about 1 finger gap or so).

ET13 should easily fit if you are able to run a little more camber than I am able to. If not, you might possibly have to raise the car a little higher than mine is. I'd say these 2 pictures should give you a good idea of front clearance with my setup:

I've been shopping for new wheels, but haven't found much that ticks all my boxes. I'm not sure if I want to stick with 16's, or move to 17's. It seems like there are good tire choices in 235/40-17.

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    Did you have to roll your front fenders to fit the 225/45s on the 16x8 et18? How much room do you have from the tire to the fender? I'm setting up a similar wheel/tire combo at the moment, but have a 10mm spacer (putting me at et13) and am trying to figure out if 225/45s will fit.

Your car is awesome!

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Thanks Jean!

Leave a comment:

• Jean
    replied
    Awesome build! Always liked your car !

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Thanks man! I have some in car videos I've been meaning to upload. I would like to get a good one of the exhaust note externally as well.

Leave a comment:

• mila325
    replied
    Can we get an exhaust sound video? I want to hear this nasty thing.

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    Originally posted by econti View Post
    How much weight difference is in the carbon hood?
    I believe this VIS hood is about 25lbs lighter than stock.

Leave a comment:

• econti
    replied
    How much weight difference is in the carbon hood?

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Wonderful build!

also: PM sent

Leave a comment:

• Digitalwave
    replied
    ZII Star Specs are really good tires. They have just been surpassed over the years by tires like the RS3, R888, RA1, RE71R, etc. I'll keep an eye out for the ZIII's! I hadn't heard about those yet. That should be around the time frame that my ZII's will need replacing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X