No announcement yet.

Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how'd you refinish the side trim? Sent close to 9 hours on the pieces I ended up reusing for my vert shadowline trim project, both the side trim and the polished aluminum door and pillar trim. it was not fun... 3 different grades of paper between multiple SEM Trim Black coats..
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

I sanded the trim with 220 to get the really heavy oxidation knocked down, used a little Evercoat metal glaze to fill small scratches, dings that would not sand out, then finish sanded in 320. I shot some SEM filler primer over the repaired areas, then wetsanded that with 400 along with the rest of the trim blending the repairs.

3 medium wet coats of SEM Trim Black #39143 later they look essentially new.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
        Nice work!

Comment

Not a whole lot going on this weekend. I had a business marketing / shop management seminar all day Saturday. I wasn't aware ahead of time but it was actually headed up by Bogi Lateiner of Velocitys "All Girls Garage" fame. Great all day course on the professional side, and then some of us including Bogi went for Mexican food and mucho margaritas while shooting the shit about shop culture and life experience. Super rad.

Moving on to today which was my only day this weekend to work on the E30 I mainly spent the first half of the day reorganizing the shelving units, pruning items that have since been purchased new, and choosing the best examples of the duplicates on used parts that would eventually see reuse on the car.

The weather was nice enough today that I wanted to tackle a small project, which was reconditioning the side moldings. In case you don't know several sections of the coupe six piece side molding set are now NLA. I wouldn't want to mix pieces of varied patina so for me the best choice was to refinish the best six pieces of the two sets I had.

Between the two sets I have all the clips I need to make one good set (the clips on the back of the quarter and fender trim are not sold separate!)

Here is the first piece next to an average old piece:

...and some time later, the full set:

I hope to be able to pickup the rest of the parts from being vapor blasted this week, my Stromung exhaust should show up soon, and if all goes well the chassis should roll back over to the body shop this coming week.
          I am re-painting my IS in a week or two and was going to visit the dealership for the side mouldings amongst other things.
          This was scary to read but realoem still shows the mouldings available.
          Love the build btw. Serving as inspiration and reference.
          My new E34 525i Sport Limousine Blog
          http://bmw525isportlimousine.blogspot.com.es/

Comment

Originally posted by Mwishlist View Post
            I thought it was just me on the sway bar bushings. The first thing I did (well second after brakes) was refresh all my suspension and the sway bar bushings took forever. I had to get a clamp to hold the bracket in place enough to get the bolt started, what a PITA!
            I used a small bottle jack with a small piece of wood to push the bracket close enough to get the bolt started.
            My new E34 525i Sport Limousine Blog
            http://bmw525isportlimousine.blogspot.com.es/

Comment

Originally posted by spanish pants View Post
              I am re-painting my IS in a week or two and was going to visit the dealership for the side mouldings amongst other things.
              This was scary to read but realoem still shows the mouldings available.
              Love the build btw. Serving as inspiration and reference.
              RealOEM does not have an accurate or valid accounting of parts availability or pricing nor is it directly supported by BMW. It should not be relied upon other than as a part number reference.

Thanks!

Comment

RealOEM does not have an accurate or valid accounting of parts availability or pricing nor is it directly supported by BMW. It should not be relied upon other than as a part number reference.

Thanks!
                Wouldn’t happen to know if the 4-door molding kit is also NLA?

On topic though, would love to hear your procedure for the reconditioning as I need to also do the same very soon for body & paint.

Thanks,

Sina

Edit: damn mobile - just saw post at top of this page.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Been a long time creeper of your builds, Jordan. Keep up the good work! You're posts motivate me to get to work on my car.

Comment

I would like to know how you reconditioned them as well
                    1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                    COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

He posted how he reconditioned it just after the picture.

Comment

Big day parts wise today, very excited to start seeing some of the items I subbed out come back to me.

First off my 5 15" euroweaves, freshly refinished.

I also bought new center caps, which were dissembled so they could be painted with the wheels to ensure no tonal mismatch.

We just got a new tire machine at work, a Hunter Auto34S. I was really excited to be able to mount the tires myself so I didn't have to sweat bullets while someone else did it. All 5 mounted without event. I went with 205/55R15 Direzza DZ102.

I also made a run over to Cycle Sports LTD of Houston to visit my new friend Ken, who has been vapor blasting all of my aluminum castings to restore the fresh natural luster of the components. I did check with him and Ken said he is willing and able to accept mail in items for processing if anyone would like to contact him, just let him know I sent you. 713-690-9802.

The finish vapor blasting leaves on cast aluminum is positively amazing. Soft, smooth and just the right luster. It's made everything processed look new again.

Comment

Big day parts wise today, very excited to start seeing some of the items I subbed out come back to me.

First off my 5 15" euroweaves, freshly refinished.

I also bought new center caps, which were dissembled so they could be painted with the wheels to ensure no tonal mismatch.

We just got a new tire machine at work, a Hunter Auto34S. I was really excited to be able to mount the tires myself so I didn't have to sweat bullets while someone else did it. All 5 mounted without event. I went with 205/55R15 Direzza DZ102.

I also made a run over to Cycle Sports LTD of Houston to visit my new friend Ken, who has been vapor blasting all of my aluminum castings to restore the fresh natural luster of the components. I did check with him and Ken said he is willing and able to accept mail in items for processing if anyone would like to contact him, just let him know I sent you. 713-690-9802.

The finish vapor blasting leaves on cast aluminum is positively amazing. Soft, smooth and just the right luster. It's made everything processed look new again.

All looks so good. Keep it up. Nothing feels better than mounting your own tires.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                          Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                          BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Are you planning to still run the throttle body heater and the rest of the mess?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                              Are you planning to still run the throttle body heater and the rest of the mess?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              Good question. I went with silicone hoses on my m42 when I deleted the the plate and hoses are shiny and without a crack 5 years later. Even if keeping it, worth the investment, IMO.

Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                              BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Originally posted by monty23psk View Post
                                Good question. I went with silicone hoses on my m42 when I deleted the the plate and hoses are shiny and without a crack 5 years later. Even if keeping it, worth the investment, IMO.

And really its not needed my car has had no issues in sub zero temps with the throttle body sticking. Especially wont have issue in texas.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Working...
                                X