No announcement yet.

Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah I'd like to know what you did to clean the rust off as well.
    1990 325is
    m52b28
    3.73lsd
    g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

A stiff stainless steel wire brush on a drill, with WD40 as a cleaner/lubricant is my trick there. If done right it cleans the metal completely without imparting any marks to the substrate that would otherwise conceal machining marks etc.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

nice!
        1990 325is
        m52b28
        3.73lsd
        g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

I’ve used barrymens chem dip on my output flanges and it just eats the rust away and leaves them looking like new

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
            I’ve used barrymens chem dip on my output flanges and it just eats the rust away and leaves them looking like new
            That’s an interesting idea. I wonder how it would work on hardware? I want to cad my parts like Jordan did, but I sure would like to find an easier way to do it.

I just checked on line. You can get a 5 gallon bucket of this stuff for about 150 bucks
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
              That’s an interesting idea. I wonder how it would work on hardware? I want to cad my parts like Jordan did, but I sure would like to find an easier way to do it.

I just checked on line. You can get a 5 gallon bucket of this stuff for about 150 bucks

It works amazing on hardware too. What I do is just put it in and forget about it and go back to it every once in a while and brush off the loosened grim to a new layer. Its some nasty stuff and works good.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                A stiff stainless steel wire brush on a drill, with WD40 as a cleaner/lubricant is my trick there. If done right it cleans the metal completely without imparting any marks to the substrate that would otherwise conceal machining marks etc.
                Thanks!

Comment

How did you clean up those rear hubs? They look awesome!
                  1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                  1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Today's project was to finish rebuilding the differential. The Thayer clutch rebuild kit came in yesterday so I went by the shop that is vapor honing my stuff and picked up the differential cover which I'd asked them to have ready first.

As it comes out from the process it is lickably clean, silky smooth and has a high luster very much in line with that of fresh cast aluminum. This is -not- a painted finished, what you see is bare aluminum.

New clutch and dogear plate (2 each in assembled diff) vs the old parts

That shiny cover with a new diff bushing, vent tube pressed back in, and all of the refinished hardware ready to install.

Installed

They also had the power steering pump housings finished as well, and I had all the parts on hand to rebuild it so I snagged that too before I went home.

All the parts laid out, save for the assembly bolts.

Vane pump attached to shaft, cam ring pinned. It had occurred to me after taking this picture the vane hub was actually upside down, I removed and flipped it over.

Face plate installed on housing, with new double profile seal. Note everything has an arrow cast or stamped into it, these need to line up on reassembly as pictured. It occurred to me after typing this and looking at these pictures that I installed at least the pictured vanes backwards :rofl so I need to go pop it open and flip them around, the rounded side faces the cam housing.

Finished, reassembled pump refreshed and renewed

Original data plate which was carefully masked for the vapor honing process.

Comment

Wow, amazing.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

What did you do to get the “S” back on the case after being painted

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

He cleaned it. No paint.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Indeed, the cases paint is original 25 year old. I just cleaned it.

Comment

Hey Jordan,

I am about to rebuild my whole rear end and rear axles have been shot for some time. I want to rebuild diff. Would you recommend the rebuild is something that can be done diy if the kit is purchased? Not sure if special tools are required. Thatcher kit is what you recommend?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                              Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                              BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                                Indeed, the cases paint is original 25 year old. I just cleaned it.

See? I'm paying attention!

lol

Comment

Working...
                                X