Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JGood View Post
    I tried that process on an NLA BMW brake fluid reservoir, it didn't work very well. It made it look cleaner, but definitely still yellow-ish. I'd love to find a way to correct the color.
    Right, it is what it is, I'll take cleaner.
    Fortunately if they do make new ones, it's not a terrible job to replace.
    I do things.

Comment

Maybe this would work?

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
        Maybe this would work?

https://youtu.be/fu0v3yFcVn4

That's the product I used.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
          Maybe this would work?

https://youtu.be/fu0v3yFcVn4
          Love AVE heh,

I had intended to use the cream method on the larger items but thought the liquid submersion would work better for the smaller bits.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Someone on the 2002FAQ suggested putting the yellow reservoir in bleach..
            Might have to try this with the small white plastic parts?
            1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
            1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

any updates?

I need some motivation to finish my car haha

Comment

Just went through this entire thread. What a page turner!

So basically this E30 will be better than when it rolled off the line in Munich. Nice.

The attention to detail is astounding.

It's making me second guess my approach to my E30 restoration.

My wallet is quivering.
                90 Bronzit 325is
                16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

I dropped off a few more aluminum items with the blasters for cleaning yesterday, and 2 more bins of steel hardware for yellow zinc plating. I'm hoping and anticipating the body of the car should be done in paint around the end of October. I want to get it home and get to work assembling it like you have no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                    I dropped off a few more aluminum items with the blasters for cleaning yesterday, and 2 more bins of steel hardware for yellow zinc plating. I'm hoping and anticipating the body of the car should be done in paint around the end of October. I want to get it home and get to work assembling it like you have no idea.
                    Nice! Thanks for the update.

I should be receiving my baby back from paint the end of October as well. I haven't seen her since February.
                    90 Bronzit 325is
                    16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                      All done with first coat, flipped to do second coat:

Any rust issues with the e-brake tubes? I assume you didn't have to replace those? If one did need to replace them, is it just embedded in seam sealer/other sealant? or are they tacked to the body in places?
                      1991 318is ---230K - DD
                      1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                      so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
                        Any rust issues with the e-brake tubes? I assume you didn't have to replace those? If one did need to replace them, is it just embedded in seam sealer/other sealant? or are they tacked to the body in places?
                        they are tacked and welds seam sealed/coated.
                        Jordan, are you going to paint the chip guard area black as OEM? I completely restored my undercarriage as well, including tan color. Just debating if I should go ahead and have the overspray all over it from the chipguard black (like lazy OEM did) or mask it off for a corny "over restored" look. It is a common practice for Porsche restoration to get that overspray going...E30 is not a Porsche but....still debating

Comment

Any updates on the shell?

Comment

Updates should follow along soon. Yesterday I picked the car up from where it was and relocated it (again) due to lack of progress and the shop shuttering its doors.

Car is safely up at Imperiale Collision in Huntsville north of Houston where it will get its concourse quality finish.

Comment

argggg that must be so frustrating.
                              good luck at the next shop! hopefully theyre more reliable
                              We're in deep now boys
                              1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
                              1988 340iL - Track car
                              My M60 V8 swap thread here
                              [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Photos of progress should start trickling in on the regular now as the new shop gets underway. Some exploratory digging left them to decide all of the filler work done by the first shop was questionable so it will all be completely removed down to bare metal substrate to correctly finish the metal and then apply minimal filler as needed. Come to find he first shop applied poorly catalyzed filler over considerable dents and questionably prepared metal. If not removed and redone at this stage it would end up compromising the finished paint job years down the line.

First area they dug into where some improperly catalyzed filler (still soft like a year later) was flaking off the surface. Ground it all off and cleaned the body line to.

Dent in the rocker just to the left of that area I paid to have repaired that was rather just filled completely in as seen in the picture just above....

Same bull shit on the right rear lower valance where I had the bodyman remove and shave the rear tow hook. It was bent from who knows what in the past and not easy to straighten so I elected to remove it and weld a filler panel in. The welding job was shit and again not prepped right, with rust pocking present under the filler.

It was all ground off until clean, pinholes welded up, and the filler thinly and smoothly applied over the area.

Comment

Working...
                                X