No announcement yet.

Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wonder what his 3rd grade science project was like..
    sigpic
    327is
    325es
    325es
    318is
    Fiesta ST
    E46 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
      Can you link that?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      http://www.m42club.com/forum/index.p...0021#msg130021

Comment

Masked the alternator rotor and stator after cleaning them thoroughly of old flaking varnish and recoated them fully in new red insulating varnish.

My rotor on the left, next to the M3 rotor on the right. Same rotor, different rear bearing oddly enough the M3 is smaller.

Stator

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

What kind of varnish did you use?

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
            What kind of varnish did you use?
            I was wondering the same thing.
            How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

damn what an awesome build....
              BEERTECH

Comment

The red coating is a high temp dielectrically insulating aerosol varnish. It is intended for insulating motor windings and the like, and is just about spot on perfect to the correct brick red color Bosch finishes the stator in originally. Remans always seem to be black or olive green.

While I am still waiting on a few internal parts needed to assemble I could not resist setting the stator and rotor inside the housing to see how it looks.

Finished stator set inside rear case half, finger poles on rotor sanded clean per original

Front case half set in place.

Comment

While I wait for alternator parts to arrive I shifted my attention to my ABS pump.

How many of us have a pump that looks like shit, IE like this?

I'm betting pretty much everyone.

I decided to take it apart, clean it thoroughly, vapor hone the aluminum valve housing and put it back together.

Note the anti-tamper cap is removed from the top exposing the bolt that holds the upper and lower valve housings together. The cap will be plated so it looks fresh and reinstalled.

Vapor honing leaves such a nice finish on the aluminum.

I removed the regulating valves on either side of the pump to as they are sludged up and desperately needed cleaning. One of them had a broken spring! I'm glad I decided to take them out for servicing. The little stainless mesh filter screens were all but plugged with sludge and the pistons hardly moved anymore due to the varnish buildup.

The pistons and bores will all be carefully polished and the whole pile of parts dropped in the ultrasonic cleaner to remove varnish and buildup inside where I can't reach.

Comment

Wow, didn't even think that was a serviceable part. Now that I've seen it, I can't help thinking how gunked up mine must be internally. Where would one go about finding replacement O-rings? I did a quick google search and didn't come up with very much. Judging by the pics it doesn't seem like too bad of a job, and I wouldn't mind knocking it out while the rest of my brake system is already apart. Thanks in advance, I always love seeing a new progress post on your threads.
                    '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Regular buna-n o-rings will work. Just buy a metric kit of them and find the one that is the correct size. Or if you can't have it apart for a while, take it apart, measure the o-ring grooves and order some from McMaster or elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                        Regular buna-n o-rings will work. Just buy a metric kit of them and find the one that is the correct size. Or if you can't have it apart for a while, take it apart, measure the o-ring grooves and order some from McMaster or elsewhere.

What? Buna-n and brake fluid are not friendly.

You want epdm material.
                        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I am amazed. This thread is basically a scratch builders’ instruction book for constructing a new e30 out of parts.
                          Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                          1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
                          Palm Beach County

Comment

cars beep boop

Comment

also you are remarkably motivated. the ABS unit has always been one of those things that I just have to assume has magic smoke inside that I shouldn't mess with, like transmissions.

great build.
                              cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus
                                the ABS unit has always been one of those things that I just have to assume has magic smoke inside that I shouldn't mess with, like transmissions.
                                I was thinking the exact same thing

And yes LJ851 you are correct:

https://www.martins-rubber.co.uk/blo...lection-guide/

Thanks guys, I'll look into ordering some once I get it apart.
                                Last edited by Albie325; 01-06-2019, 08:12 AM.
                                '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Working...
                                X