Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice!

I know you're stoked to get it back soon.
    I do things.

Comment

Stunning! These progress pictures are really fun to watch. What an incredible process. Thanks for all the amazing documentation of the build.
      1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
      SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
      Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

I see the pictures of this paint job, then I look at the paint job on my E30 and wonder what kind of BS process they went through when they painted it
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          I see the pictures of this paint job, then I look at the paint job on my E30 and wonder what kind of BS process they went through when they painted it
          Yeah, I wonder the same about mine.
          Fucking jackass.
          I do things.

Comment

Just for comparison sake the work showcased here, and understand this is with ZERO R&R of components as I brought the car in gutted and will reassemble, would run north of $15k. If you get sad about your paint job just remember its all relative to the extent of man hours and quality of paint materials used.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
            https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

My jambs have the paint flaking off, overspray on the windshield gasket and a bunch of other places, and overall the paint is already looking like crap. Cant wait to do another respray back to the correct Cirrusblau

Mine is the polar opposite of your paint job. Id be surprised if they spent $$$$ on it let alone $$$$$
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                Just for comparison sake the work showcased here, and understand this is with ZERO R&R of components as I brought the car in gutted and will reassemble, would run north of $15k. If you get sad about your paint job just remember its all relative to the extent of man hours and quality of paint materials used.
                Not surprised at all.

The reason I decided to do it myself was getting quotes north of $7,500 on the "cheap" end, with reputable shops quoting between $12,000 and $20,000, site unseen of course. Most body shops didn't even want to touch it, too busy turning and burning insurance work.

I used excellent paint, decent prep, and terrible conditions and equipment. Lesson learned, and as time moves on, I want to paint another car, I enjoyed it.
                Not in July tho, 100 Nopes.

Did you use the same brand of paint as you did on previous projects?
                I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                  Is the front fender sealed onto the body for good now or am i missing something?

Comment

^^ that's how it is from the factory also. you have to break two paint seams to remove e30 fenders.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Correct the gap between the fender and cowl was sealed with seam sealer to emulate the original application technique as was done at the factory. If this seam is separated it is evident the fender has been off before or replaced.

Here is a picture of the factory application (which has been broken at some time) on a coworkers car. It's also obviously had some abhorrent paint work, but this well illustrates what I moved to replicate.

Last edited by Jordan; 02-13-2019, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post
                        Did you use the same brand of paint as you did on previous projects?
                        The Imola car was PPG Deltron, this AW3 car is PPG Global.

Comment

Nice, my clear is Deltron, very happy with it.
                          I do things.

Comment

Stellar work. I've really enjoyed this thread.

Once Imperial Collision is done and you get the car back, how long do you expect reassembly to take? Have you set a goal/timeline for yourself or are there still external dependencies (parts that need sourcing, etc) that would skew an estimate?

Comment

Reassembly should progress very quickly as I have almost everything completely restored or purchased new and all neatly organized and shelved in the garage. I still need to build the engine and get the interior reupholstered but literally everything else is present and accounted for.

Doors, hood and trunk got paint today!

Comment

Did you find a new dash, or did you send one off to be rebuilt?
                                I do things.

Comment

Working...
                                X