No announcement yet.

Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was sad selling those smilies but I'm happy they at least found their way onto such an immaculate restoration. Car turned out great, amazing dedication and work as always.
    My Feedback

Comment

Jordan

Just wanted to pitch in and say thank you, thank you, and thank you again for the level of detail and knowledge demonstrated in your build threads. It's all been very inspirational, and will surely prove invaluable, to my own project.

I must have read this and the red M54 car thread start to finish at least twice each. Thoroughly enjoyable and it's great to see this latest masterpiece come to completion. When are you starting the next one...?

Matt

Comment

Thank you gentlemen, and teej, uh next project I don't know about that. This one took a lot out of my physically and financially. I' going to enjoy it for a quick minute and then it will be offered to a few parties that have expressed interest, followed publicly offered for sale if those parties pass.

Realistically a collaboration project with Jon and I on his brand new M3 shell is the most likely next project, barring that I need a break.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Amazing work, I am super happy to see that it is done and on the road! I wish I could see this thing in person, but then again I'd be so depressed every time I looked at my car that it is probably for the best lol.

Anyway, big ups for the attention to detail and dedication that this took.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
            Logistics didn't work out to get the car over to the shop today, but most likely tomorrow...

I ordered these OE BMW R134a fitting adapters and got them installed so I can charge the system. The high side adapter sits very tight against the line so the hood shock support hinge actually clears it. I was going to leave the R12 caps in place for aesthetics but decided the adapters are more prudent so no one down the line gets confused as to what refrigerant is in the system.

Reworked rear seat upholstery came in earlier in the week and I got it installed.

and today with the fantastic weather I took her out for another drive, car is solid. 9.8mi total on the build.

UPS also brought me a tasty treat today, my visors and overhead panel for the E30 came in from StitchedWheels. Extremely nice work, as always!

Do you have a contact for the person who did you overhead panel? And the car looks amazing man! I’ve been away from r3v for a bit but the first thing I did was find this thread to see the progress, glad it’s completed!

Comment

Pretty sure it's this guy:

https://www.stitchedwheels.com/?fbcl...oAIJLY9BxyzC5c

Comment

WOW, just wow...

Comment

What a beautiful project, start to finish. The care to detail is something to be lauded and cherished. what an absolutely stunning vehicle.

I've tried to find the engine specs and management you ended up going with for the m42, but couldn't find them other than you went with an 87mm cylinder bore, so I'm curious what the end CR, stroke, injectors and management you went with were.

Sorry if you've mentioned it somewhere, just 82 pages and 1200 posts was a lot to look through, and I missed it in the ToC.

Again, amazing project.

Comment

I don't know any of the other details, but I know Jordan is still running the stock DME and stock tune.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

John at Nine Stitch did the seats, door panels.
                      Jordan at Stitchedwheels did the visor panel, visors.

2093cc
                      87mm bore
                      88mm stroke
                      10.5:1 CR
                      Ported & polished head
                      Competition multi angle valve job
                      Stock injectors
                      Factory ECU & chip for now.

MarkD chip on the way, will swap out once its crested 100miles.

Comment

This one took a lot out of my physically and financially.
                        I feel this is my soul.

Look forward to whatever you decide to do, learned a lot from your builds.

I do things.

Comment

John at Nine Stitch did the seats, door panels.
                          Jordan at Stitchedwheels did the visor panel, visors.

2093cc
                          87mm bore
                          88mm stroke
                          10.5:1 CR
                          Ported & polished head
                          Competition multi angle valve job
                          Stock injectors
                          Factory ECU & chip for now.

MarkD chip on the way, will swap out once its crested 100miles.
                          awesome, thanks!

Comment

A somewhat not fun but definitely interesting update for everyone...

The car has 62 miles on it as of now.

The weekend before last I set out to bring the car over to Jon Cooks house to leave it in his garage for safe keeping while I tackle an interim project I don't want to do with it in the garage...

I got about 2 miles from home and saw an opportunity to make a clean swing under a freeway underpass. I stabbed the brakes hard to load the front end and banged my left hander at about 40mph but the car got seriously upset. The rear end was screaming (off throttle) and sliding out from under me like I'd ripped up on the parking brake. It swung out a sold 60 degrees to my intended path and I managed to counter steer into it and snap back the other way but it just kept sliding with the rear wheels locked. It swung back around the opposite way and spun me 180 to the desired direction of travel while sliding sideways straight towards a curb. Luckily it came to a stop about 2ft from the curb with the drivers wheels, with me staring at my wife in front of me wondering why I'm doing dumb shit....

I swallowed my heart from up in my throat and cut the wheel to the right to turn around, but found the engine labored to take off. It was at this point I actually realize what just happened and that the brakes were dragging haaaard. I kicked the pedal a couple times and it seemed to get it rolling well enough. I took a careful path home with next to no brakes, and relied on engine braking and the parking brake to get me back to the garage.

When I got home I put the car up and pulled the air cleaner out of the way and started troubleshooting. Before long it was clear there was an obstruction inside the ABS pump preventing any fluid passing through to the rear wheels, and as it happen... any fluid from returning to the brake reservoir. Once I cracked the rear outlet fitting from the ABS pump the rear wheels spun freely again.

Less than pleased with the reality of having to pull the ABS pump out of the car I put down some wet microfibers, layered with dry on top and undid the fittings and electrical to get it on the bench.

Once it was on the bench I proceeded to tear it down to the failure point. Be mindful this ABS pump was flushed through adequately (so I thought) with brake parts cleaner, and blown through with compressed air prior to being externally vapor blasted, installed in the car, and bled through with fresh fluid.

At the end of the day 30 years of brake fluid builds up gum, varnish and schmutz.... and this schmutz clogged the pre/post filter screens along with the inner ball bearing / sprung check valves and magnetic shuttle valves for ABS activation.

Rear prefilter screen completely clogged

Cleaned front, vs the rear

I had a custom gigantic TORX socket machined to be able to remove these plugs. Behind them is dual ~2oz fluid reservoirs. One side full of gum and schmutz...

This is one of the ABS solenoid valves (sans magnetic coil) AFTER it was both soaked in varsol overnight, and then run for an hour in a $10k milsurp 150F ultrasonic bath... still full of schmutz

After all of that it was time to ultrasonically wash all of the torn down pump components, the small bits on wires so they didn't go and get lost.... and vapor hone the parts that can be cleaned up that way.

The end result is a decidedly complex array of parts. I really didn't think this much was going on inside that pump, but I guess it makes more sense now why the list price on a new pump when it went NLA was $4200 USD...

The eye candy...

Now to carefully reassemble this unit and get it back in the car.
                            Last edited by Jordan; 06-06-2020, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Funny how bad days make good stories. Lovely photos as always.

Comment

Yoikes! Glad you were able to keep it shiny side up and off the curb!

Thanks for the insight into the insides of the ABS unit.

Comment

Working...
                                X