1990 - 24v swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post

Thanks Rudy, luckily the interior was in pretty good shape considering the age of the car.

I used the stock E30 hose from the lower expansion tank to the metal tube under the M52 intake. I just cut it to length and routed it in roughly the same position...unfortunately I don't have a picture of it but I can grab one for you if it helps. The hose part number is: 11 53 1 722 743.

I was also able to use both ends of that same hose (the main section that runs from the water pump to the heater core) to make a heater hose that ran from the metal tube to the core. It required a splice connector to make the alignment right and keep it from kinking and you can see a pic in post #93.
    No need for the picture, thank you for the offer and information though! The info from post #93 is especially helpful and I don't know how I missed it on my first read through of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post

Appreciate the kind words. Yeah, it has been a real project but no complaints....I had several other large projects in the garage over the past years that took time away from this one but I never lost interest. All of my cars now have some sort of engine/drivetrain swap now so never a dull moment.

Timely comment on the AC compressor. I had originally planned on using the Z3 compressor but it hits the radiator end tank (among other issues with the hose/fitting clearance at the front). The compressor and bracket are different from the coupe/sedan M5x/S5x so I need to swap brackets to see how a "normal" compressor fits. Since my Nissens radiator has started leaking from one of the end tank gaskets (less than 1k miles) it's a good time to swap compressor brackets. Here are a couple of pics of the interference and the two compressors.

The M50 compressor nose is 3mm shorter so it will likely just barely clear the end tank of the radiator...has this been your experience? I am making the assumption it sits in the same basic location because it uses the same belt but maybe the bracket rotates it out of the way?

It looks like the Mishimoto aluminum radiator has thinner end tanks but it has a slightly thicker core...and since I need a new radiator this could be an option. However, I'm concerned this will create a new issue with interference of the mechanical fan and the core. I've got something like 6-7mm clearance currently and the Mishimoto is about that much thicker (stock ~44mm and Mishi ~51mm)

I'd love to hear more about your experiences with all of this fitting together. Thanks!
      the last couple i've done, were with stock replacement radiators, or the aftermarket (ebay) aluminum ones. the air con parts were all sourced from the '95 M3 donor cars i had at my disposal (compressor, bracket, et al). i had no clearance issues at the radiator, lower hose, or from compressor to radiator, though i will say, the area you have to work in is very, very tight. let me see if i can dig up some pictures in my phone.
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post

No need for the picture, thank you for the offer and information though! The info from post #93 is especially helpful and I don't know how I missed it on my first read through of this thread.

Just let me know if you have any other questions, I'm happy to share what I've learned or point you to someone who knows the answer.

Originally posted by e30austin View Post

the last couple i've done, were with stock replacement radiators, or the aftermarket (ebay) aluminum ones. the air con parts were all sourced from the '95 M3 donor cars i had at my disposal (compressor, bracket, et al). i had no clearance issues at the radiator, lower hose, or from compressor to radiator, though i will say, the area you have to work in is very, very tight. let me see if i can dig up some pictures in my phone.

Thanks for the info. From what few pics I have scrounged up through various threads it sure seems like there is reasonable clearance with the M5x/S5x bracket and compressor. I have the radiator removed and the new bracket cleaned up, just need some time to swap out the parts and see how the new stuff fits.

(Hopefully this multiple quote works - the option seems to not be available via the forum so I'm cheating with a cut/paste)

Comment

Test fit the standard E36 M5x/S5x compressor bracket and compressor.

The normal E36 bracket is on the left and the Z3 M52 bracket is on the right, they bolt up the same but as the previous pics show, the compressors are very different.

Clearance is better (does not touch the rad) but still pretty tight. Will be interesting to see if there is a difference with the Behr radiator I ordered to replace the leaky Nissens.

While waiting on the radiator to arrive I figured I tackle the other issue that's cropped up as I've put miles on the car....the clutch. The throw out bearing was making a squealing noise when the clutch was engaged, slight pressure on the pedal made it quiet down and the clutch was starting to have issues disengaging, with pedal take up right off of the floor. Bummer considering it all has 1k miles. I installed a Valeo SMF kit and replaced it with another, similar to KIRIEIW experience, Valeo service was of little help and had no interest in warranty.....

So out comes the transmission.

Flywheel looks good, no strange wear or signs of dragging.

Pressure plate and flywheel looked OK too (forgot to snap a picture) but I did notice a few of the PP fingers were at slightly different heights to each other compared to the new one. Doubt that is normal but can't say it's a smoking gun. The throw out bearing had some scoring around the perimeter that did not look normal compared to other TOB's I've removed on much higher mileage cars.

Close up old v. new:

Part numbers were the similar and the dimensions were the same - pic of old followed by the new:

The most difficult part of the job is getting at the two very top transmission bolts on the ZF320 thanks to the larger bell-housing. I was able to use a combination of extensions and joints to get the R side bolt but the top-most was nearly impossible. I could see this bolt from inside the engine bay....however there was no room for a socket/breaker bar....plus its a E14 Torx. So a bit of thinking....don't some 12 point metric wrenches will fit external torx....yes, 11mm fits E14...but the wrench was too short...more thinking and I came up with an idea for an extension made from a scrap of some aluminum bar stock, a few tapped holes, and a couple of M6 bolts made for a nice extension. Got it free from the top side easily.

It's all back together but I can't test drive until the cooling system is back together.

Comment

Hows progress?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
              Hows progress?
              1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
              1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Spoke to him earlier this year about getting some tune stuff and loose ends sorted. WE STILL NEED UPDATES! :)

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

I'm always delinquent with updates....

Clutch swapped which fixed the weirdness shifting into reverse and first gear and solved the throwout bearing noise. I did not see anything abnormal with any of the old clutch parts, so I aSSuME this was just some sort of mechanical defect with the Valeo SMF clutch out of the box. The new kit was the same part number, etc, so who knows.

Got the AC compressor mounted up, wired, etc, reinstalled the radiator, filled the cooling system and then found a leak in the lower left corner of the rad...where the plastic tank crimps to the body of the heat exchanger...so it came back out and I replaced the Nissens with a Behr. It took FCP three tries to get me a radiator that was not destroyed in shipping...goodness.

Buttoned up by mid-January just in time for the salt and brine to hit the roads; back out again in April and did some nice backroads in S - Indiana.

The biggest news is that I ended up selling the car this past August to a fellow CCA member on the East coast. It was a tough decision but in the end space needed to be made for the next project and I found a really great home for the car. So this tale ends in happiness - me for the experience and a new owner who has been loving the car.

Comment

Womp Womp, One less E30 in the midwest.

Have them follow up the build thread?

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                      Womp Womp, One less E30 in the midwest.

Have them follow up the build thread?
                      Bobbie seems to be trying to bring back as many as he can to the midwest...I'm sure there will be another in my future...if the past is any indication.

I made the new owner aware of the build thread but I don't know if they will ever post an update. I would love to keep track of any progress. I've had too many former cars disappear into the ether...

Edit: Do you have any recommendations on a good upholstery shop in our general area? Most just seem to do boat seats and UTV's.... I need someone to do the seat centers of my E46T...
                      Last edited by mjweimer; 12-29-2022, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Bobbie pointed me to Mr. Headliner in Anderson, Indiana.

I agree, they do great work at reasonable prices. And they don't even charge extra for the cigarette smoke haze in the workshop!

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post
                          Bobbie pointed me to Mr. Headliner in Anderson, Indiana.

I agree, they do great work at reasonable prices. And they don't even charge extra for the cigarette smoke haze in the workshop!

Perfect, appreciate the info. I'll give them a ring and see what they have to say.

Comment

Working...
                          X