No announcement yet.

Melon's E30 Build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got some 3M undercoating on the rear last night.
    Stuff works really well, just doesn't dry consistently, some is satin, other patches are matte. Going to paint over it anyway, just something to note.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I do things.

Comment

Looks like you are having good time with it. Just a word of caution: self etch and epoxy do not get alone well. What are you using 2k epoxy primer spray cans?

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
        Looks like you are having good time with it. Just a word of caution: self etch and epoxy do not get alone well. What are you using 2k epoxy primer spray cans?
        I haven't had any issues so far.
        I laid down the epoxy over a small strip of self-etching, but most of it was over existing paint, or bare metal.

Epoxy:

Self-Etch:
        I do things.

Comment

The whole car is going to get shot with PCL Speedprime prior to painting. The epoxy and self-etch are just base coats to prevent rust after having to sand down to the metal on most of the car, and protection from rocks on the rocker panels and wheel wells.

That was the idea, this is my first car painting job, so I'm learning as I go.
          I do things.

Comment

Figured it was Max...pretty good stuff. Hopefully it works out long tirm. Here is some info regarding surface prep and acid primers (self etch).

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
              Figured it was Max...pretty good stuff. Hopefully it works out long tirm. Here is some info regarding surface prep and acid primers (self etch).

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
              After your first post, I immediately did a little digging into it. There's no reaction between the two paints on the car, but from now on, I'll make sure to keep the two separated when I use them.

Thanks for the info.
              I do things.

Comment

Painted the rest of the underbody, and area the fenders will cover.

Built a stand to hold the doors when I paint those.

Got the new fenders in and shot some epoxy primer on the backside of them. Letting them dry overnight, then going to shoot some coating on the backside of those.

I do things.

Comment

That escalated quickly! Build looks great, can't wait to see it after paint.
                  1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                  1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Thanks!

I do things.

Comment

Coated the inside of the new fenders with an asphalt rubber coating.

Stripped the trunk lid, both doors and the sunroof panel down. Burnt up sander #2 (Warranty return) finished up with sander #3.

Got everything painted up this morning.
                      My homemade door holder works great.

I do things.

Comment

damn dude this is gonna be so good!
                        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

who taught you how to prep a car for paint? coming along nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                            damn dude this is gonna be so good!
                            Thanks, I hope I know what I'm doing.

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                            who taught you how to prep a car for paint? coming along nicely.
                            I went to school for product design, and we were required to make models at the end of every semester of our designs. Lots of bondo work, painting, and priming and then polishing to get a smooth appearance.

So, no one taught me how to do body work, per se, it's just skills I've acquired elsewhere I'm able to adapt.

Also, YouTube.
                            I'm a YouTube Certified Master Mechanic. ;)

The paint on the car isn't perfect, there's still sanding marks to get out, I'll get those small areas smooth through the priming process. I'm not looking for showroom perfection, just the best I can do.
                            I do things.

Comment

Got my valance in, painted some undercoating on the backside to help protect it.

Installed it and the fenders. (I'm not showing my panel epoxy job, Jordan would be seriously triggered at how messy it is. I'll clean it up before paint though.)

Put the wheels back on and put it on the ground.
                              It's the most 'car-like' it's been for a while.

Thanks to Jordan for the info, and a buddy of mine who works at a BMW dealership, I got a new VIN sticker for the door.

No updates for a couple of weeks, heading to the Tail of the Dragon Saturday for a little over a week for a much needed vacation.
                              I do things.

Comment

Getting real close to shooting primer and the final stages of body work. Mostly fine tuning and removing sanding marks at this point.
                                I do things.

Comment

Working...
                                X