No announcement yet.

Big Al's Revenge: an OEM+, MTech1 325e restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last of the MTech bits that had to go on was the spoiler, got it installed with the proper foam gaskets over the studs:

I used 3M double sided foam tape for the leading edge, I had the OEM tape as well as the two "foils" for each end however they were 30 years old and hard as a rock and no longer worked. I got the spoiler installed but may go back and add some double sided tape to each end to get the edges seated more snuggly against the trunk:

The section I had to repair came out as best as I could have hoped, it's noticeable to me but not all that bad to those not looking for it:

Now that the spoiler was installed and I didn't need access to the mounting studs, i was able to get the trunk lid cover and tool box installed. You can still buy a new OEM large tool kit, however some of the tools are marked simply "Germany." I was able to find replacements online for a few of the box end wrenches with the "W. Germany" markings:

The little white plastic window crank piece was not included, I bought from a seller who makes new reproductions on Ebay.

W. German goodness:

All installed:

Installed brand new door sill trim:

And got the antenna cleaned, lubed, and installed:

I then got the wheels mounted and pulled the car out for a first true look:

Pretty sweet!

Then it was time to mount the 325 badge:

The distances for the edges for the "325" badge were listed online, I wrote them in here. If you have the "e" or "is" at the end the spacing will be slightly different:

Followed by new roundels:

The car was looking great, and I considered just leaving it as-is however I felt that it was just missing a little something. I debated back and forth about adding a pinstripe, the car originally had a black/silver stripe that looked pretty sharp. I decided to go with it:

Here's how it looked with the plain red paint:

Nice, but lacked a little definition to the top body line. Getting the stripe installed was actually not too bad but took a couple tries to get it done right. I couldn't really take pics of the process as you have to lay the stripe in one continuous piece from the front fender all the way to the tail light and with that much length flapping in the breeze it's a little tricky. Once I was happy that it was nice and straight, I had to trim the excess with a sharp blade:

For the front edge, I tapered it so that the black line overlaid the silver one:

In the light that day it was hard to capture the final result, but as you'll see in some later pics it really came out great and totally adds that extra little pop of detail I was looking for:

The last thing left to do was to get all my engine bay decals installed/replaced. I ordered these from Pukar Designs like two years ago and FINALLY was at the point to get them on the car:

Some of the originals were still in good shape so I left them, but a few were wrinkled and peeling pretty badly:

Out with the old, in with the new:

And lastly, the new VIN stickers:

I know many have already seen the finished product, however my next post will be a photo dump of the car all buttoned up!

Last edited by Albie325; 01-24-2021, 09:49 AM.
    '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Did you the double sided tape for the mtech rear spoiler to prevent any gaps to prevent water form getting underneath to so that gaps are not formed between trunk lid and spoiler?
      Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
      BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

monty23psk the manual calls for it, but I think it's a combination of both. Keeps rain from getting underneath and sitting there stagnant, as well as fills in any small gaps between the spoiler and trunk for a more finished look.
        '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Comment

Agreed on those reasons. I bought the install kit and just waiting for the day to paint my car. I had iS spoiler and when removed, you can see where the water started to pit the lid. Did you take pictures of the install using it, would love to have it as a reference for when I do it. Thanks

Comment

monty23psk the pic of the underside of the spoiler in the post above shows where I put the 3M tape on the leading edge, you can see where I peeled up the corners so that I could peel it back once installed. Other than that one, I don't think I took any more however if/when I remove the spoiler to add some tape to the ends I'll post some more pics.

Comment

Thanks Albie. Just saw the pic again and definitely saw it the 2nd time. I know there are 2 larger pieces adhesive that helps in the ends of each side, 51711922245/6. That might also help. I got it for mine but still sealed in a box in the closet. Car is looking better and better each time, congrats.

Comment

I have to say, this is amazing ... very happy all your hard work has paid off. Love the stripes btw
                '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
                  I have to say, this is amazing ... very happy all your hard work has paid off. Love the stripes btw
                  Thanks! Have been driving the car a bunch lately and really enjoying it again.

Sorry I've been slacking on getting the pics posted but most have already been listed on the January COTM article. Still pumped I was chosen! Here's those and a few extras that didn't make the cut:

A peak of the finished trunk and tool box:

The interior:

Then I tried to get "artsy" at some spots around town. I'm certainly no photographer but tried my best with my IPhone. I had no fucking clue what I was doing but the car made most of the pics come out ok:

As the weather gets nicer I'll be taking more and more pics of the car and posting them up. I still have a few small projects to finish as well:
                  • Clean and refinish the trunk tools (jack, wheel chock, lug wrench)
                  • Make plastic wind deflectors for the front of the MTech kit (these are NLA and the only repro's I've found are stupidly expensive for something I can easily make myself)
                  • Clean and seal the paint. Have been waiting on the clear coat to fully "gas out" before adding any protective coatings .Debating on ceramic coating +/- some clear bra on the front of the car
                  • Clear UV reflective window tint (won't actually be tinted, but will hopefully keep the cabin cooler and less likely to crack the dash)
                  • I'd really like to drive this car out to the Vintage this year if it happens
                  There's a couple things I'm forgetting, but there's always some room for small tinkering and improvement!

Comment

nice job dude
                    We're out there in here.

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
                      [*]I'd really like to drive this car out to the Vintage this year if it happens
                      YES! I hope to see you (and your car) there!

The photos turned out great, by the way. Though I bet it's hard to take a bad photo of that beautiful car. ;-)

Comment

Exactly, I read this and hope you can make it out to Vintage this year.

Comment

Vintage is fuel for my motivation. E30 Turned our great and I hope to see your there! Great detail work, I could look at it for hours!

Don't slack on getting the ceramic coating and clear-bra, paint condition only goes down from here.

Regardless, I think if not a Vintage meet, a Clarion meet will be in order.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

That's sweet!
                            E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

So beautiful! I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but why does your toolkit look so different and how did you get the sweet padding for the trunk lid?
                              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Very nicely done sir.
                                How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X