Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ryan's Hennarot 318is (s54, slicktop conversion, MT2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rjmcdermott81 View Post

That's the plan man. Going slow because I've been busy with work but it's a good distraction.

BTW - I really dig you AW 318is.
    That's going to be awesome!

Thanks! I may have another project soon. Will know more by tomorrow afternoon. :)

Comment

EV FD. If you are doing a build thread on here or another forum please attach a hyperlink. The only thing I do not like about the EV with the motor in the rear is it leaves you without the option of a manual.
      How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Yea we're going to need that project here too...
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          Yea we're going to need that project here too...
          I'm documenting it much more detail and I'll definitely post a build thread as soon as I get over the first major hump. I'm toying around with timelapse video on the gopro. Wish I would have done this for may paint job.... Also, you can see that I got my little helper a welding mask so he can be in there with me.
          Last edited by rjmcdermott81; 01-04-2020, 02:25 PM.
          Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
          COTM Aug 2019

Comment

On another note. I finally got off my butt and made a driving video. I'm driving it a bit like a ninny - granny shifting, not double clutching like I should.... Keep in mind this is a 7k rpm tach and the redline is actually 8k. Car is really gelling nowadays.

COTM Aug 2019

Comment

That sounds really really really nice. I've found from taking in-car HPDE video that it doesn't usually convey speed or acceleration well. Your video looks pretty quick so I can't even imagine what it must be like in person!

Comment

That sounds great. Any details on the exhaust configuration?

Comment

Originally posted by R3VM3UP View Post
                  That sounds great. Any details on the exhaust configuration?
                  This is my second go at the exhaust. Originally Tyler at Arc Asylum built and shipped me a full exhaust and the welds were a thing of beauty but it was a too loud and the cat didn't do enough to make me happy. I want a car that smells like I don't hate the planet. I'll try to get an underside pic but here is a quick rundown:
                  - Stock e46m3 headers modified by having the cats removed and v-bands attached (arc asylum)
                  - 2.5" pipes running parallel back to behind the front seat (arc asylum)
                  - 2 x 2.5" to 2.5" merge pipe with v-bands on front and back (arc asylum)
                  - Off the shelf cat
                  - Flowmaster resonatorr
                  - Flowmaster muffler (2.5" in and 2 x 2" out I think)

There is some rasp between 2500 and 3500 rpm but I think a big part of that is the s54 and the headers. That is the only thing I would like to change but it also makes it sound really nasty when you get on it.

All in all, it's not loud when driving normally but when you get on it people know there is something hiding under the hood.
                  COTM Aug 2019

Comment

This is my second go at the exhaust. Originally Tyler at Arc Asylum built and shipped me a full exhaust and the welds were a thing of beauty but it was a too loud and the cat didn't do enough to make me happy. I want a car that smells like I don't hate the planet. I'll try to get an underside pic but here is a quick rundown:
                    - Stock e46m3 headers modified by having the cats removed and v-bands attached (arc asylum)
                    - 2.5" pipes running parallel back to behind the front seat (arc asylum)
                    - 2 x 2.5" to 2.5" merge pipe with v-bands on front and back (arc asylum)
                    - Off the shelf cat
                    - Flowmaster resonatorr
                    - Flowmaster muffler (2.5" in and 2 x 2" out I think)

There is some rasp between 2500 and 3500 rpm but I think a big part of that is the s54 and the headers. That is the only thing I would like to change but it also makes it sound really nasty when you get on it.

All in all, it's not loud when driving normally but when you get on it people know there is something hiding under the hood.
                    Interesting to hear you didnt like Arc's exhaust. I truly considered that but I didnt want a very loud exhaust, it was a big concern. Since he didnt have sound clips I passed.

I am using N54 inline Cats after the headers (Status Gruppe) in using a stock E46 section one. I kept mine dual 2.25 in all the way back with an X pipe after the cats before the E36 M3.exhaust. Probably heavier than it should be but I like the sound and it helps balance out the weight of the S54.
                    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

My MY, I sure do love the induction noise and Rasp!

S54's are hard to keep quiet.

Need to Compile a S54 exhaust thread with sounds clips.

Every time I see an s54 in the engine bay I kick myself for not pulling my S50 yet.

Cant tell if you had a very steady human as your camera mount?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post

S54's are hard to keep quiet.

Need to Compile a S54 exhaust thread with sounds clips.

Every time I see an s54 in the engine bay I kick myself for not pulling my S50 yet.

Still have great sound, I just didnt want a loud drone at idle and on the highway.

I have a few, on my thread.

Love hearing Ryan's it sounds soo good!

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post

I'm new to the GoPro game and this was a first go. I used the Go-pro suction cup mount attached to the rear passenger window. It worked pretty good but you can see it move back and forth a bit. Luckily the stabilization calms it all down. It's possible the movement adds to the effect of conveying acceleration?

Next go I would really like to figure out how to mount it in the center of the car. Not sure how to do that without a roll bar but I may try to attach it to the headrest or something.

I've considered wrapping my headers and the pipes from the headers back to see if it removes the rasp - thoughts? Other than that I'm 100% happy, no drone at highway speed.
                          COTM Aug 2019

Comment

I'm new to the GoPro game and this was a first go. I used the Go-pro suction cup mount attached to the rear passenger window. It worked pretty good but you can see it move back and forth a bit. Luckily the stabilization calms it all down. It's possible the movement adds to the effect of conveying acceleration?

Next go I would really like to figure out how to mount it in the center of the car. Not sure how to do that without a roll bar but I may try to attach it to the headrest or something.

I've considered wrapping my headers and the pipes from the headers back to see if it removes the rasp - thoughts? Other than that I'm 100% happy, no drone at highway speed.
                            Do you have an X pipe? That removes a lot of Rasp.

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post

Do you have an X pipe? That removes a lot of Rasp.
                              No x-pipe but I definitely have room for one. The 2.5" sections run a solid 3 feet under the car.
                              COTM Aug 2019

Comment

If you smack an x pipe a foot or shorter from the headers you’ll pick up torque also. No further, I don’t know why bmw stuck their H pipe so far back.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                                X