E30 the biowaste - M20B28 itb race car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t like the cheap looking pads on the IE
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I just know IE’s pads used to come off. Not sure if a bond issue or wiping the cam clean of oil. But usually would destroy a cam.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

color scratched to reveal underlying pad area. OEM BMW rocker

Last edited by hasa; 12-25-2021, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Contact path with Febi rocker

Comment

Febi looks ok, oem not so much
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Is oem the ina branded units?

You should give genuine ones a go.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2038.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	10053571

Name:	IMG-1994.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	10053572

Comment

Engine runs nicely, responds very well to throttle with new light flywheel. But I hitted problems with clutch. Previously cluch disengaged very low, almost at level of gear grinding. Now it does not disengage at all no matter what I try.

So my conclusion is that the release bearing might be wrong for this combination. Engine has 528E bellhousing and unknown throwout bearing, very likely from E30 325i. Clutch is Sachs 618 and organic disc. Slightly stepped flywheel made for M20.

Name:	IMG-2074.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	10058067
                  Attached Files

Comment

There is are 2 different depths depending on DMF flywheel for gearbox's. Maybe try 323 TO bearing with single mass flywheel?
                    Last edited by moatilliatta; 06-08-2022, 11:34 AM.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Yes this is my assumption. I found old thread from this forum explaining the problem. (30mm vs 25mm high bearing)

Comment

I lifted the boy out

Name:	IMG-2076.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	10058197

Then I found out serious installation error... fortunately clutch did not work, as this would have led to serious disaster.

Name:	IMG-2077.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	10058198

Comment

Clutch fork side profile looks odd, but I can't say if it's ok or not. I don't have any reference part. Throwout bearing was wrong version (25mm) as expected.

Name:	IMG-2078.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	10058200

Comment

With that revelation, you probably don't need the 323 bearing.

One time at a 14hr race we blew 2 clutches (a rental driver error, long story). The third that went in was a mis match of parts from two clutch kits. Clutch pedal was right on the floor.

When we got back home and replaced everything, we took all the parts and lined them up. What we found was there's different stack heights, as well as different thickness of the actual clutch disc. Some discs are ~8mm, some are closer to 6mm.

What we determined was there's washers under the big rivets on the pressure plate, as well as more/less spring stacks on the outside. So, if you have a thin disc and have the pressure plate with less washers, it doesn't take much to disengage.

After a lot of years battling these kinds of situations, I put two bolts on the bell housing after installing the new clutch kit. Then, install the slave and check mechanical viability. The output flange should turn by hand with the pedal in and in gear. Nothing worse than buttoning up completely,only to realize you have too much/little travel.

john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Also, just buy a new fork, pivot pin, and spring. They are about $70 for the lot and all three are a pain to get to if they fail.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:
                              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                                With that revelation, you probably don't need the 323 bearing.

One time at a 14hr race we blew 2 clutches (a rental driver error, long story). The third that went in was a mis match of parts from two clutch kits. Clutch pedal was right on the floor.

When we got back home and replaced everything, we took all the parts and lined them up. What we found was there's different stack heights, as well as different thickness of the actual clutch disc. Some discs are ~8mm, some are closer to 6mm.

What we determined was there's washers under the big rivets on the pressure plate, as well as more/less spring stacks on the outside. So, if you have a thin disc and have the pressure plate with less washers, it doesn't take much to disengage.

After a lot of years battling these kinds of situations, I put two bolts on the bell housing after installing the new clutch kit. Then, install the slave and check mechanical viability. The output flange should turn by hand with the pedal in and in gear. Nothing worse than buttoning up completely,only to realize you have too much/little travel.
                                I can imagine the pain of swapping parts during an endurance race !

By looking how the parts fit inside the bellhousing, I'd claim that even 30mm bearing does not solve completely the problem. Something else must be wrong. Fork is first suspect.

Comment

Working...
                                X