Work Log: Rebirth of the Vert (Red Oktober)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dragowl
    replied
    Bumping up from Page 4 with some updates:

    This past week I've spent some time installing an alarm system and trying to install a new oil pan gasket.

    The alarm is in and works well, despite the fact that my central locking is acting up, even with a key, I can't get the focker to stay locked. I think its the driver's side actuator, so thats another project, but the alarm install went well thanks to Luke.

    Now the oil pan gasket...LOL...thats another issue, I'm almost done getting the oil pan out...the goal is to finish that part tonight and hopefully get the reassembly started.


    Oh...lest I forget that I replaced the broken gear in the odometer, so I should have a working odometer yet again...never had one since I bought the car. Its not bad work at all...actually quite easy. I also tightened up the turnsignal & wiper switches as they were loose and flopping around.

    Leave a comment:


  • Dragowl
    replied
    For those wondering what this project has cost me in the past year...here is the break down...and I'm sure I'm missing something here:

    Covertible Expense Tracking
    Vehicle Purchase Price $2,200.00

    Interior
    New seats $180.00
    Alpina tach strip $15.00
    Fabric Paint $25.00
    Rear Side Panels $50.00
    Tan floor mats $0.00
    Lighted Rear View mirror $27.90
    Mirror Adhesive $10.00
    Gauge Cluster Bulbs $5.00
    Glove box latch $15.00
    Speakers $17.00
    e36 Window Switches $24.00
    Exterior
    Plastic bumpers $150.00
    Late model front valence $75.00
    Ducts for front valence $20.00
    M3 Springs $150.00
    Mechanical
    Front Brake sensor $14.00
    Injector rings $10.00
    Magnaflow Muffler $46.19
    Muffler Installation $70.00
    Front ABS sensor $28.70
    Leather Handbrake handle $20.05
    Misc.- Zygmut $24.90
    Misc.- Zygmut $18.00
    Thermostat Housing $20.00
    Radiator $62.00
    Rear Bumper Sliders $25.00
    Ashtrays $25.50
    Camshaft Seal/Valve Cover gasket $22.50
    Rear Bilsteins $50.00
    Front Brake Calipers/Pads $50.00
    Control Arms $100.00
    Tie rod arms $55.80
    Front sway bar links $26.44
    Rear strut mounts $37.80
    Front strut mounts $46.30
    AFM $25.00
    Timing Belt/tensioner
    Water pump $40.00
    Spark Plugs $20.00
    Title $34.00
    Registration $46.50
    Alignment $75.00
    Insurance- Year $530.00


    Total $4,487.58

    Leave a comment:


  • Dragowl
    replied
    Originally posted by NavyE30
    man, I miss my vert. I always wanted to do something like this, but it died before its time.
    Get another one...

    Leave a comment:


  • Dragowl
    replied
    Originally posted by bmwpower
    Hey I got that lower right trim piece if you need one.
    Also, got my Eibachs (conv spec) out of my car.

    Car looks great! I will need to look for you around town....
    Just shot you a PM about other parts...I may need that, but I don't think mine is broken...I'll let you know...I may need your expertise on something else I'm considering.. :)

    Leave a comment:


  • Ral
    replied
    man, I miss my vert. I always wanted to do something like this, but it died before its time.

    Leave a comment:


  • bmwpower
    replied
    Hey I got that lower right trim piece if you need one.
    Also, got my Eibachs (conv spec) out of my car.

    Car looks great! I will need to look for you around town....

    Leave a comment:


  • Dragowl
    replied
    Originally posted by etajohn
    The rear sags because the convertable is heavier in the back than a M3. You can add extra spring pads to even it out.
    Thanks for that info John...I plan on tackling that...Here are pictures of the old muffler and the new one being put on..





    new muffler= magnaflow with 2.5" in and out



    yes...its really me...for some odd reason my old username doesn't work and won't let me log in

    Leave a comment:


  • etajohn
    replied
    The rear sags because the convertable is heavier in the back than a M3. You can add extra spring pads to even it out.

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    And....one of the posts that I've been waiting for...and I'm sure many of you that have been keeping up with this thread..

    I have finally got her ready for the final push before inspection...The car is NOW road worthy!....I need to have the new muffler installed...and then she'll be inspected and become my DD....I drove her around my complex yesterday and I LOVE IT!

    Anyways...the pictures:

    Dropped on M3 springs....althought it looks like my rear still sags a bit...any idea of what that could be?






    Future BMW Driver

    Leave a comment:


  • ZM Blue Devil
    replied
    get her done.

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Touring is back up....and control arms came in...thanks again L!

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil
    Hang tight, shipped control arms today should have tomorrow/wednesday at the latest.

    Thanks Levent!...I will drive this car BEFORE the summer is out...with the TOP down too!:pimp:

    Leave a comment:


  • oekundar
    replied
    Originally posted by kishg
    ola.. i don't like the looks of those touring pics.. dreaded e39 cooling issues?
    Not the usual culprit...this time it was the water pump. It was actually a pretty simple disassembly once you get past the freaking shroud

    Both of my BMWs are down....

    Leave a comment:


  • kishg
    replied
    ola.. i don't like the looks of those touring pics.. dreaded e39 cooling issues?

    Leave a comment:


  • ZM Blue Devil
    replied
    Hang tight, shipped control arms today should have tomorrow/wednesday at the latest.

    Leave a comment:

Working...