The Ecobeamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rzerob View Post

Why is this? How does it effect the vehicle when it is beyond 5ft? Too much resistance in a cable stretched to the trunk? I can't see how running a trunk mounted battery would effect it in any negative way.
    I don't know for certain, wed have to ask ford performance to know exactly but I think that yes the system was designed and built with only thick enough wires for 5 feet max.

from my instruction sheet:

"pcm mounting location is limited by the lengths of the 2 correspong leads into which the pcm is connected...….
    inline fuse holder must be mounted within 12" of the vehicle battery positive post.....
    ford performance power distribution box must be mounted within 60" of the vehicle battery as dictated by B+/ground lead lengths of the control pack harness"

it was a little bit of a challenge to get it as far back as it is believe it or not. had to find the farthest back position I could mount the ecu and go from there.

Comment

dont think i mentioned this maybe talked about one but ive taken the car to about 5 car meets so far and the reception by the people has been absolutely fantastic,kind of took me by suprise how much people love the car to be honest. one of them being an out of town cars and coffee that involved 180 miles there and back on the interstate, car handled it like a champ and there are some pretty good dips and bumps on the interstate, the suspension is really nice! seemed to consume a good amount of fuel though. I didn't like cruising the motor on the interstate but I gave it a pretty good and hard break in on dino oil so I felt like itd be ok.
      ive been able to enjoy the car allot

Comment

Damn, I'd been away for a bit and you did it - drovie it before New Years! Congrats man, so happy for you. Genuinely impressed by how this project evolved and turned out. Drive the bejeesus out of it now!
        '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
          Damn, I'd been away for a bit and you did it - drovie it before New Years! Congrats man, so happy for you. Genuinely impressed by how this project evolved and turned out. Drive the bejeesus out of it now!
          I am! ive got over 400miles on the car now and its a ton of fun! still fixing some things and changing things and just getting the car more dialed in. my front wheels were rubbing on the plastic bodypeice under the bumper at the bottom of the car that I got around to installing, I had to sand it down a good bit and now I can turn without hearing funny noises. earlier pics of the car I didn't have that plastic piece installed.

it drives really good, the car is very quick! and it handles great even though theres still no sway bars yet. ive got a few things im working on right now and have planned to improve the car a bit more. after I work on it a bit more and then install sways Im gonna take it to the track and see what she can do. get some go pro video for you guys too.

thank you for the kind words man! cheers!

Comment

I did some weight loss therapy and removed the sunroof and its carriage as well as stripped the doors of their windows and panels and window motors(all except rear passenger side because of the fuel cell).
            I removed the sunroof and carriage in one piece by just angle grinding the carriage mounts and then angle grinding the lip around the sunroof hole, ive never heard of anybody going about it that way but it works good and is really quick.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200121-140552.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	9900518

so with all that removed and 3/4 of a tank of fuel I dropped my curb weight by probably about 100lbs although its only 70lbs lighter than my previous weight I posted because my fuel tank is much more full this time.

new curb weight: 2165lbs

Name:	20200121-145551.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	9900519

with me:

Name:	20200121-145821.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	9900520

im pretty impressed that some people have gotten curb weights below 2k because i cant imagine any other significant weight reduction i can do that i would be willing to do(going to keep the diving boards).
            this will be the lightest my car will ever be because i still have a hood to install as well as cage and a few other things. part of that may be too that i imagine my powertrain is probably about 100lbs more than a s14 for example.

Comment

something else I did was build and install a spoiler. I figured allot of you guys might be struggling with depression due to the recent dry spell of hot rivet on sheet-metal action so I imitated what the nascar guys do with their cars(I imagine they know allot about aero) and went for a gurney flap style spoiler something like this:

Name:	nascar-spoiler-auto-racing-jpg-30e7f28e1b90db54-png.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	9900525

Name:	20200122-151540.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	9900526

Name:	20200122-151607.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	9900527

Name:	20200122-151213.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	9900528

I even replicated the 70degree angle they run. and because of the curvature I don't believe ill need splitter rods for them as cool as they would look but I have some that I can install if it deflects too much at high speed. maybe ill install them anyways just out of fear of it swinging around and messing things up.

Name:	20200122-151154.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	9900529

Comment

Originally posted by hkv View Post
                im pretty impressed that some people have gotten curb weights below 2k because i cant imagine any other significant weight reduction i can do that i would be willing to do(going to keep the diving boards)...

I figured allot of you guys might be struggling with depression due to the recent dry spell of hot rivet on sheet-metal action so I imitated what the nascar guys do with their cars(I imagine they know allot about aero) and went for a gurney flap style spoiler something like this:
                If you replace all of your regular rivets with titanium you will see a nice weight drop
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

^^
                  Your entire build hinged on that spoiler...

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

If you replace all of your regular rivets with titanium you will see a nice weight drop
                    just gotta get horrible freight to start importing some lol

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                      ^^
                      Your entire build hinged on that spoiler...
                      it sure is allot of hinge lol. its a little funky but it matches allot of the rest of the build. I think it will improve aero since the trunk is a steep drop off from the roof line.

Comment

daaaang even the spoiler is riveted.

Comment

I think the B52 superfortess used even more rivits

I like rivits - look cool and function great
                          bridges airplanes building - why not E30s?

Comment

BIG gains today, this thing is kind of a beast now. The tuner said it should run 10s with the right tires, that's crazy quick.

the baseline dyno put down more power than I was expecting, the ecoboost put down smooth respectable power with its stock tune:

Name:	20200204-140355.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	9903522

And this was the final result after all the tuning was said and done:

Name:	20200204-194348.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	9903523

that is some crazy torque down low, 460ft/lbs of torque at 3k and 340hp at 5.5k.

when he got it too put down 405ftlbs i thought that was crazy torque and then he went and got it do over 460ft lbs which blew my mind tbh. needless to say the car freaking rips because it was no slouch before.

dyno tuning vid:

Comment

This is insane. Very happy for you!
                              '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
                                This is insane. Very happy for you!
                                460 ft/lbs just blows my mind. the thing completely roasts the tires in second with ease now. thankyou

Comment

Working...
                                X