Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Estimate on a glass out, interior out, engine out restore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jordan View Post

The seller of this car should be kicked, repeatedly, in the balls for grossly misrepresenting the vehicle. Jon can go into detail, but the condition of the paint and body was abhorrent.

Sadly BaT sucks sellers dicks and ANY sort of negative feedback spoken about a seller from a buyer will get you banned from the site.
    Yes, it happens.

I personally liked this one: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-bmw-325is-39/
    Wasn't it much cheaper to restore this example?

Comment

Stanley Rockafella all depends on quality of work, quality of paint products, and what you intend the car to be when it's done. If you want to do a Jordan or Jon level resto, then I'm sure you're looking in the $40-60k range but that's with all other mechanicals sorted and essentially a brand new car at the end of the day. If you simply want to freshen up the paint in a nice, complete way (jambs, all trim removed, all dents/rust repaired, etc.) rather than just a basic MAACO respray, the numbers I was getting are in the $10-12k range at several of the more reputable shops in my area, and that wasn't for engine-out or interior out. Also depends on how much body work the car needs, and if any panels end up needing replacement. When I first started looking into having my car painted I went into it expecting maybe $5-6k so when that was essentially doubled I was a little turned off to say the least. Having decided to take on the project of painting my car myself (for monetary as well as fun/pride of ownership reasons), the cost of having someone else do it is certainly warranted as it is a TON of work and takes quite awhile to complete, not to mention all the tools and equipment needed to complete the job. If I didn't enjoy doing it, it's something I'd never want to have to do again, so consider it money well spent.
      Last edited by Albie325; 04-29-2020, 06:53 AM.
      '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

The retail cost of the paint & body on my car was $15k ish alone....

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
        https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

My friend told me that if his car required any extensive body work, he would go to Mexico.
          I read that even boats sail from California to Mexico because Mexican paints are of much higher quality.

But it will require reading of a lot of reviews on forums.

This shop looks legitimate.
          https://www.facebook.com/Southside-c...3010561155598/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
            The retail cost of the paint & body on my car was $15k ish alone....
            I like this....this is in the ballpark I'm comfortable with...closer to 10 would be preferable, but I'm not picky when it comes to having quality work.
            Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
            My friend told me that if his car required any extensive body work, he would go to Mexico.
            I read that even boats sail from California to Mexico because Mexican paints are of much higher quality.

But it will require reading of a lot of reviews on forums.

This shop looks legitimate.
            https://www.facebook.com/Southside-c...3010561155598/
            I think it's because the paint they use in Mexico is still lead based. While it's better quality and durability-wise, it's a massive no-no anywhere else in N. America

If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's the solvents and constituent VOCs which are allowed/disallowed which would have someone doing that, not lead. Though I am not familiar with the specifics of that rumor.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                I like this....this is in the ballpark I'm comfortable with...closer to 10 would be preferable, but I'm not picky when it comes to having quality work.

I think it's because the paint they use in Mexico is still lead based. While it's better quality and durability-wise, it's a massive no-no anywhere else in N. America
                It's a different thing.

The most famous lead paint is White Lead.
                I believe Porsche used it to paint white cars in the 60s.
                It looks very warm compared to the current refrigerator-white paints.

---
                If you look at big trucks, they are painted with Imron. It's very toxic, but it looks wonderful and lasts for decades.
                Teslas are painted with water paints, they look "dusty".

Comment

Working...
                X